The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Which Accommodation???

Hiya. Im in the process of deciding which accommodation to apply and need some advice. I'll be study English Literature and will be on Newton Park Campus, and can't decide whether it's a better idea to live on campus or off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Hello, I'm at the end of my first year at Bath Spa and lived in Waterside court, off campus. I feel like this was the best for me as it was the cheapest but had an en suite and is still really nice. It's close to town and other shops so you don't need to worry about bus times or taxis when coming back from a night out. It also means you can just pop around the corner to Tesco or Sainsbury's for food instead of the SU shop which is limited and not as cheap! :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Hi,

I graduated from Bath Spa last year (but loved it so much I am going back for post-grad study in September!! :smile:)...

I lived in Charlton Court in my first year- next door to Waterside that was mentioned, so again off-campus... It wasn't actually my first choice, but in hindsight I am really glad I lived off campus.

The way I always thought of it was it is a bit like being at school- living in the town, close to shops, supermarkets, other 'stuff' and then you get the bus to travel in to uni. You will undoubtedly spend more time out of lectures and seminars than you will in them.

It's also easier to get home from a night out if you live off-campus (bear in mind that the campus isn't actually in Bath)... And as well as that buses to campus are only about one an hour at weekends, which could prove annoying after a while- although like I say I didn't actually live on campus and those who did coped so either way it'll work out.

Really you just have to decide whether you would rather travel in to uni for lectures, or would rather travel from uni for everything else?

I am not trying to put you off living on campus, everyone has a personal preference, and I am sure there are advantages to both- I am slightly biased!

And don't forget Bath Spa is currently building brand new accommodation which I believe will be ready for September- so if you lived on campus your accommodation would be brand new!!

Good luck deciding! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi (:

I am a current first year at Bath Spa, I live at Waterside Court and would recommend it as it's well priced, has en suites and is in a great location. Four out of my five fellow flatmates are based at Newton park and I think for them they really enjoy living off campus as everything is much easier to get to, however I'm sure living on campus has it's benefits as well, like JanuaryRose says you need to decide which you would prefer to travel for. Also consider that Newton Park campus is quite secluded, being on the outskirts of Bath. Hope that helps (:
Could someone try and get someone who has stayed on campus? I think it much help balance out the views on this thread.
Hi :smile: If its still relevant, I live in Sydney on campus at Newton Park. Its sort of expensive, the most expensive on Campus I think at around £135 a week. As I don't go out to town much, living on campus isn't a problem. One plus is that the new building 'Commons' is right next to Sydney so its cool being so close to the rooms and stuff. It is a little annoying when I need to go into town and its the weekend, as buses run hourly and it can be a pain waiting around for ages. Its a lovely campus, really cool to be able to just walk around in a huge park whenever you feel like it. I have pictures from when I first moved in, just the bare room and bathroom, if you want I could send them to you? Give you an idea of what its like? :smile:
I'm trying to decide for 2014 and off-campus is starting to appeal to me.. could I see the pictures? The websites a bit shoddy when it comes to showing us what the actual accommodation looks like! I'm thinking Waterside though as I really want my own bathroom and to be close to town. has anyone else decided yet? Too much choice!

Quick Reply

Latest