The Student Room Group

OCR B Geography june 2014: case studies

How many case studies should we learn? What case studies should we learn for each section
Reply 1
There are endless possibilities really, because each school does different ones. I have 18 to learn I think, but they are probably different to the ones you have learnt. These are the types of case study you should have:

For Rivers & Coasts:

The causes, effects and management of flooding in an MEDC.

The causes, effects and management of flooding in an LEDC.

One river valley and it's landforms.

One coastal area and it's landforms.

An example of coastal management (including views/conflicts on protection).

For Population & Settlement:

Strategies that influence natural population change within a country.

International migration.

Internal migration within a country.

Urban change (and it's sustainability) in an area.

How retail service provision changes over time.

For Economic Development:

An aid project in an LEDC.

Factors that affect the location of different types of economic activity in an LEDC.

Factors that affect the location of different types of economic activity in an MEDC.

MNC investment in a specific area and in an international context.

I have found each of these on the actual syllabus, so they are definitely correct :smile:
Hope this helps.
Reply 2
For the final case study, what do you mean by 'international context'? Is it in reference to the impact of MNC investment in multiple areas/countries?
Reply 3
does anyone which case studies came up in the past two years? I highly doubt they would come up again, which means less case studies to learn! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by MissA9797
For the final case study, what do you mean by 'international context'? Is it in reference to the impact of MNC investment in multiple areas/countries?

I do believe so :smile:

Original post by saeranee
does anyone which case studies came up in the past two years? I highly doubt they would come up again, which means less case studies to learn! :biggrin:

I'll go have a look...
Reply 5

Right...

I have no idea what came up in 2013 as papers aren't available yet.

June 2012:

International Migration.

Land use change in an urban area.

Aid project in an LEDC.

Multi-National Company/MNC.

These also came up, but make no difference (definitely won't come up, as natural hazards isn't in the themes paper):

Climatic hazard in an MEDC.

Tectonic hazard in an MEDC.

June 2011:

River Flooding.

Coastline Management.

Population management strategies.

Changes in retail service provision (?!)

These also came up, but make no difference (definitely won't come up, as natural hazards isn't in the themes paper):

Climatic hazard in an LEDC.

Tectonic hazard in an LEDC.

I can't find any other papers, so that's all I have to go by.

Hmmm *thinks*...

I never knew there were so many case studies in each paper though!!
Gahhhh - there's 6!! :eek::cry2:
Reply 6
Original post by Caitlin_3008
Right...

I have no idea what came up in 2013 as papers aren't available yet.

June 2012:

International Migration.

Land use change in an urban area.

Aid project in an LEDC.

Multi-National Company/MNC.

Climatic hazard in an MEDC.

Tectonic hazard in an MEDC.

June 2011:

River Flooding.

Coastline Management.

Population management strategies.

Changes in retail service provision (?!)

Climatic hazard in an LEDC.

Tectonic hazard in an LEDC.

I can't find any other papers, so that's all I have to go by.

Hmmm *thinks*...

I never knew there were so many case studies in each paper though!!
Gahhhh - there's 6!! :eek::cry2:

Thank you such much for taking your time to do this, it's really helpful!!:h:

& i know! i'm the worst when it comes to timing and i'm such a slow writer!! :C I missed two of the case studies in my mock exam because i ran out of time! Hopefully i'll get some practise by thursday though
Reply 7
Thank you such much for taking your time to do this, it's really helpful!!:h:

& i know! i'm the worst when it comes to timing and i'm such a slow writer!! :C I missed two of the case studies in my mock exam because i ran out of time! Hopefully i'll get some practise by thursday though

Ahhh, it's okay! Who needs physics or german revision anyway? :wink:
*mumbles* probably me... :lol:
Reply 8
Ahhh, it's okay! Who needs physics or german revision anyway? :wink:
*mumbles* probably me... :lol:

ahaha it's so difficult to prioritise all the subjects:angry:
You're going German as well?? I've decided not to waste time revising that since only a small handful of vocabulary come up
Reply 9
ahaha it's so difficult to prioritise all the subjects:angry:
You're going German as well?? I've decided not to waste time revising that since only a small handful of vocabulary come up

Yeah, WJEC which is tomorrow morning.
I refuse to revise though, ahah :')
I mean, in every one of the past papers we did in class I got a high A or A*, so I really can't be bothered :wink:

The first time I've seen or heard anything in German for weeks will be in the exam :lol:
Reply 10
Yeah, WJEC which is tomorrow morning.
I refuse to revise though, ahah :')
I mean, in every one of the past papers we did in class I got a high A or A*, so I really can't be bothered :wink:

The first time I've seen or heard anything in German for weeks will be in the exam :lol:[/QUOT

Im doing AQA & you just reminded me that it's tomorrow, i completely forgot about it .. oops :colondollar: I've been concentrating on English Lit and geography for the past week

& yeah our class did a past paper a couple of days ago and every single person got either A or A*!
Good luck for tomorow!! We're gonna ace it!!.. hopefully
Reply 11

Good luck for tomorow!! We're gonna ace it!!.. hopefully

You too! I'm sure we will... :grin:
Original post by AlphaNick
I've learned all 15, I can't see any other way really. Case studies do repeat, and since we've lost question choice, it has become increasingly important.

June 2013, I believe, was the 'conflict between economic and environmental', so China Pearl River Delta / Mining in Amazon Rainforest... the 'river landforms' one, so River Tees... the third one was different because it was natural hazards and they won't come up this year.

what is the medc economic activty case study
Original post by AlphaNick
The quaternary sector in the M4 corridor - so footloose industry like Microsoft, INTEL, ING, Vodafone, Orange, etc.

thanks, what is a possible case study question on medc economic activity?
Reply 14
Just checking people know:

They've changed the format of the exam this year, so now you do not get an option with the question you answer.
Previously, there were 6 questions and you had to answer 1 or 2, 3 or 4, 5 or 6.
Now, there will be 3 questions and you have to answer all 3.

This makes it much more difficult with Case Studies, as you could effectively 'choose' them before, but you can't now.

There will be 3 case study questions, one for each theme.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Do you reckon they'll set it out like having population/rivers questions followed by a settlement/coasts case study or vice versa?
Reply 16
Original post by kdizzle97
Do you reckon they'll set it out like having population/rivers questions followed by a settlement/coasts case study or vice versa?

If you look at the specimen paper, you'll see it's exactly what they do (here):
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/68557-unit-b563-key-geographical-themes-higher-tier-specimen.pdf

:smile:
What case studies came up in the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest