The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge boring?

lol am i right guys
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Well, you've just called everyone boring and nerdy, so they're probably not that inclined to help you.

No, Cambridge is not boring. The clubbing scene is fairly limited if you're used to big city nights out, but most people still manage to have plenty of fun. The main student club nights tend to be during the week, and at the weekend the town centre clubs are more full with non-students, but there's still loads going on in college bars, ents etc.
Original post by Bashur
Ok basically I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge this year. It's a great place for academics and for an education but what about outside of that? I'm not talking about your student unions or music, I'm talking about going out and having fun on a Saturday night.

I have a feeling that there is so much work that nobody actually has a social life, or that everyone is very nerdy and doesn't like doing anything fun. So tell me guys, would it be worth spending 6 years of my life at Cambridge? Will I not get bored to death, are there parties and stuff or is it just work, work and more work?

There are tens of thousands of young people there. Of course there's a social scene!
Original post by Bashur
Ok basically I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge this year. It's a great place for academics and for an education but what about outside of that? I'm not talking about your student unions or music, I'm talking about going out and having fun on a Saturday night.

I have a feeling that there is so much work that nobody actually has a social life, or that everyone is very nerdy and doesn't like doing anything fun. So tell me guys, would it be worth spending 6 years of my life at Cambridge? Will I not get bored to death, are there parties and stuff or is it just work, work and more work?

There's pretty much everything available socially at Cambridge that you'd get at any other uni, and a lot of stuff that you won't get anywhere else (hall swaps, college drinking societies, May Balls).

If someone can't find fun at Cambridge it's likely because they're not a fun person themselves.
Cambridge is small, and isn't renowned for its nightlife like cities such as Leeds, Manchester, London, etc.

However, this doesn't = "boring" in any way. It's the people that matter, not the clubs imo. If you're surrounded by people you like and get along with, you can have an amazing time anywhere. And Cambridge has lots of students (Cambridge uni + ARU).
Reply 5
Cambridge is a kind of place where you come to settle for a long, tedious, slow death that is caused by the lack of excitement in your life. Cambidge has been rated one of the less exciting places to go in the country. In terms of shopping, your better off going to a thrift shop. In a nutshell, if you lived in cambridge, the kind of thing that would excite you would be seeing someone on your weekly shopping trip put two broccolis in a shopping basket instead of one. They made that mistake but trust me, if you lived here, it would be conversation for the next 8 weeks.
Reply 6
Original post by Bashur
lol am i right guys

To be honest if you are talking about six years, then I assume you mean Medicine. If you find studying the subject and being surrounded by like-minded intellectually able students boring, I doubt you will get in, or be suited to the place. So it's not a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest