The Student Room Group

is it me or is the edexcel C2 book much more in-depth than the rest?

Going through it i'm genuinely finding many of the exercises in it a lot more challenging than any of the stuff in C3/C4- the circle theorems and logs are all non-conventional and i feel like you need a really strong understanding to even attempt any of the mixed exercises for them (whereas with c1/c3/c4 where you can attempt them with only the basics and get a few right still).
Reply 1
That didn't occur to me, the trig stuff in it is quite like wth.
Original post by lmorgan95
Going through it i'm genuinely finding many of the exercises in it a lot more challenging than any of the stuff in C3/C4- the circle theorems and logs are all non-conventional and i feel like you need a really strong understanding to even attempt any of the mixed exercises for them (whereas with c1/c3/c4 where you can attempt them with only the basics and get a few right still).

Which Edexcel C2 book?
Are you talking about the amount of content or the depth of the content?
Some students (and certainly teachers) will suggest the Pledger/Heinemann books is very superficial. The Oxford one is better but better still are old maths books devoid of pictures and fluff and full of 'why' and not just 'what'.
I still believe for those who didn't like C3 Edexcel last June the Bostock and Chandler Core book would have made things far easier.
Remember as well the mixed exercises have questions taken from previous syllabi that (it could be argued) were more rigorous.
Heck there are more chicken pictures in Pledger books than there is 'why'?
Reply 3
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Which Edexcel C2 book?
Are you talking about the amount of content or the depth of the content?
Some students (and certainly teachers) will suggest the Pledger/Heinemann books is very superficial. The Oxford one is better but better still are old maths books devoid of pictures and fluff and full of 'why' and not just 'what'.
I still believe for those who didn't like C3 Edexcel last June the Bostock and Chandler Core book would have made things far easier.
Remember as well the mixed exercises have questions taken from previous syllabi that (it could be argued) were more rigorous.
Heck there are more chicken pictures in Pledger books than there is 'why'?

The green and blue one :smile: not content-wise but just that it tests your understanding much better than the c1/c3/c4 books IMO.
Haven't had much time to go through my B&C book yet- I'm guessing I should make working through the standard edexcel books my main priority and just use the bostock and chandler books for extension work? Haven't got enough time to work through it cover to cover
Original post by lmorgan95
The green and blue one :smile: not content-wise but just that it tests your understanding much better than the c1/c3/c4 books IMO.
Haven't had much time to go through my B&C book yet- I'm guessing I should make working through the standard edexcel books my main priority and just use the bostock and chandler books for extension work? Haven't got enough time to work through it cover to cover

IMO the book is superficial BUT the older exam style questions (with minimal support) can be tough as IMO teaching and the role of a teacher differed in years gone by.
I would do what you feel is best given the time you have. I see B and S as a book to be used from day 1
Reply 5
I definitely thought C2 had more ''iffy'' topics like radians, differentiation (with shapes etc) and logs. But still not too hard, just sometimes hard to spot what to do.
Reply 6
I had noticed that too, you're totally right... I went by the thickness of the book for a starting point and the chapters seemingly feel longer to complete from experience anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ché.
I had noticed that too, you're totally right... I went by the thickness of the book for a starting point and the chapters seemingly feel longer to complete from experience anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it seems a lot more detailed in its explanations (although a lot of it seems a bit superficial and stuff that won't even come up) but the mixed exercises are definitely harder compared to the others considering c2 is meant to be pretty easy

Quick Reply

Latest