The Student Room Group

Advice from second or third years on second year?

Hey so i'm in first year now and I feel like first year has been such a rollercoster of a time for me (excuse the massively over used phrase). I came to uni through clearing so the accommodation I ended up in wasn't what I was wanting really- its not very sociable and on top of that two of my flatmates have been absolutely horrible. Also tbh freshers week was rubbish too and I also don't feel like I've really met that many new people.

All in all first year has been a bit of a let down as to how high I had my hopes for everything. Basically I was wondering how second year is in terms of going out and meeting new people because I'm worried that I really won't be able to do this as much because of the work load?
But I am excited for next year as I'm going back into a different student accommodation one that's supposedly really sociable (fingers crossed) and has a lot of second and third years in too and I'm living in a flat with two of my female flatmates again and 3 new guys. I'm also planning on trying out for a few sports teams and making sure I join some societies too try and meet more people as I did neither this year!
Any advice/ anyone else's experience you can tell me?

Thank you! :smile:
Definitely don't give up hope. I'm nearly at the end of my second year now, and it has been SO much better than the first year. Your accomodation sounds like it's going to be great, and don't worry about the work load- as long as you get organised straight away by setting out specific times for study, you'll have plenty of time to go out and do stuff. You'll also feel much more at home- by the second year you should have much more of a routine and will know a lot of faces at uni and feel comfortable in your surroundings. You'll see all the new faces arriving and laugh when you remember what you were like when you first started.
I'm about to graduate and hardly anyone I know has the exact same friends as first year, it's a complete myth that you stop meeting people after that. For example i've made loads of friends from my job (who aren't students) and other people have had success through things like sports teams or courses.

A lot of people said that third year is the best socially, despite the high work load. I'm inclined to agree with them, even though the two people from uni who I get along with best are both away on year long placements!

Quick Reply

Latest