The Student Room Group

I don't know what's wrong with me!

Lately I've not been feeling myself at all - I feel really fragile like one little thing is going to make me fall to pieces and just give up on everything, I also feel really alone, like nobody understands how I feel.

I'm in my last year of A-levels and I'm under a lot of pressure at college - just like everyone else. Except, I do three of the hardest A-levels and have to spend a lot of my spare time revising and doing work in order to get my predicted grades of A in everything. Teachers are putting a lot of pressure on everyone to get their predicted grades in mock exams now - I know I'll get my grades in summer if I keep working, but it's quite stressful when teachers assume I'm not revising because I get a B in a mock test - so I feel like I'm under constant pressure to be perfect in every single mock exam.

I've got quite a lot of stress to deal with at home as well. My mum is an alcoholic and has been for as long as I can remember, I'll come home from college and my mum will just go out so I'll be home alone all night - I live in quite a rough neighbourhood and my mum leaves me in the house without locking the door, so sometimes I can't get to sleep until she gets in about 1AM. My dad has found a new girlfriend and rarely comes to see me anymore - this has been really hard for me because we were really close, and now he sees me for about ten minutes a week and spends all his time with his new girlfriend and her daughter.

I really need a job to save up for my accommodation deposit and so that I will have something to do during the summer - I've had quite a few interviews and have been turned down every time which has made me very very critical of myself. I've been turned down for the smallest things, such as not having a car, which has made me get really annoyed at myself. I've been learning to drive for eight months and got ripped off for the first four months. My instructor never taught me anything and what infuriates me is that I worked insane hours around college at that time in order to fund my driving lessons and he took the vast majority of my wages. I've had a new instructor for the last four months and I've had to learn everything from scratch and my wages have completely ran out. She says I'm really close to doing my test but it's starting to get on my nerves because I have no money left and I feel so annoyed at myself for not going with her to begin with.

I feel like everything is just getting on top of me lately and it doesn't help that I feel so lonely. I have friends at college who I talk to about college stress which really helps, but I never have enough money to do stuff with them out of college. My boyfriend can be supportive at times but sometimes I'll end up having a complete breakdown around him and he just shouts at me and gets really annoyed. He has started to be more supportive but I don't feel like he understands why I get so annoyed. I have friends outside of college who don't really talk to me anymore, they booked a holiday and I couldn't afford to go so I feel really left out about that. I try talking to my mum about my problems and she screams and me and calls me stupid for getting worked up over trivial stuff.

I really don't know what has happened to me. I've turned into my own worst enemy and every little mistake I beat myself up over. I sometimes feel like I completely hate myself, I cry myself to sleep a lot at night and I feel like I get no enjoyment out of life. I turn to people I trust for advice and they call me stupid for moaning over trivial things which just makes me more angry at myself. I'm fed up of being told to snap out of it and get a grip, I really wish I could do that but it never works. I don't know how my life can get better and I feel like this is it for me. Any advice would be really appreciated. :frown:
Reply 1
I'm sorry to hear what position you are in. :console:
Are there any charities/organisations you can call for help?
Also mabye telling your mother about the impact that her drinking is having on you and that the stress you are in in the most important time of your life, and suggesting that she quits the alcohol.
Also tell your dad about the position your are in, and see what he can do to help. Mabye he can give you money for your driving lessons? or talk to your mother about the situation.
Sorry I couldn't help anymore and I hope that your situation improves.
Original post by Anonymous
Lately I've not been feeling myself at all - I feel really fragile like one little thing is going to make me fall to pieces and just give up on everything, I also feel really alone, like nobody understands how I feel.

I'm in my last year of A-levels and I'm under a lot of pressure at college - just like everyone else. Except, I do three of the hardest A-levels and have to spend a lot of my spare time revising and doing work in order to get my predicted grades of A in everything. Teachers are putting a lot of pressure on everyone to get their predicted grades in mock exams now - I know I'll get my grades in summer if I keep working, but it's quite stressful when teachers assume I'm not revising because I get a B in a mock test - so I feel like I'm under constant pressure to be perfect in every single mock exam.

I've got quite a lot of stress to deal with at home as well. My mum is an alcoholic and has been for as long as I can remember, I'll come home from college and my mum will just go out so I'll be home alone all night - I live in quite a rough neighbourhood and my mum leaves me in the house without locking the door, so sometimes I can't get to sleep until she gets in about 1AM. My dad has found a new girlfriend and rarely comes to see me anymore - this has been really hard for me because we were really close, and now he sees me for about ten minutes a week and spends all his time with his new girlfriend and her daughter.

I really need a job to save up for my accommodation deposit and so that I will have something to do during the summer - I've had quite a few interviews and have been turned down every time which has made me very very critical of myself. I've been turned down for the smallest things, such as not having a car, which has made me get really annoyed at myself. I've been learning to drive for eight months and got ripped off for the first four months. My instructor never taught me anything and what infuriates me is that I worked insane hours around college at that time in order to fund my driving lessons and he took the vast majority of my wages. I've had a new instructor for the last four months and I've had to learn everything from scratch and my wages have completely ran out. She says I'm really close to doing my test but it's starting to get on my nerves because I have no money left and I feel so annoyed at myself for not going with her to begin with.

I feel like everything is just getting on top of me lately and it doesn't help that I feel so lonely. I have friends at college who I talk to about college stress which really helps, but I never have enough money to do stuff with them out of college. My boyfriend can be supportive at times but sometimes I'll end up having a complete breakdown around him and he just shouts at me and gets really annoyed. He has started to be more supportive but I don't feel like he understands why I get so annoyed. I have friends outside of college who don't really talk to me anymore, they booked a holiday and I couldn't afford to go so I feel really left out about that. I try talking to my mum about my problems and she screams and me and calls me stupid for getting worked up over trivial stuff.

I really don't know what has happened to me. I've turned into my own worst enemy and every little mistake I beat myself up over. I sometimes feel like I completely hate myself, I cry myself to sleep a lot at night and I feel like I get no enjoyment out of life. I turn to people I trust for advice and they call me stupid for moaning over trivial things which just makes me more angry at myself. I'm fed up of being told to snap out of it and get a grip, I really wish I could do that but it never works. I don't know how my life can get better and I feel like this is it for me. Any advice would be really appreciated. :frown:

I just realized this post was from 50 years ago!!!!!!!!! I hope you are ok :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest