The Student Room Group

I'm a singer; Does smoking PURE weed affect the vocal chords?

I'm not looking for a lecture from the anti-weed brigade, just answers to the question please.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wait is this a humble brag thread?
Reply 2
I think it would. I know I would have sore throats sometimes, and I don't even sing. lmgtfy -

What damage can smoking marijuana do to the voice?

Vocal cord scarring (with decreased range)
Laryngitis
Traumatic injuries (polyps, nodules, etc)
Pre-cancerous changes
Lung disease

While vocal cord damage does result in raspiness, this is often something singers desire. However, the rasp is due to vocal cord scarring and that this is irreversible. The scarring is also progressive so that the mild rasp of the 20 year old becomes a significantly more dysfunctional voice in the 30 and 40 year old. Years of frequent smoking will result in accumulated damage, and a singing voice that is no longer capable of producing musical range.

Inhaling any kind of smoke causes laryngitis.

Laryngitis is inflammation of the vocal cords and occurs due to smoking. Swollen cords do not vibrate the way they need to for singing. Smokers’ cords are swollen but singers often “muscle through” performances despite this swelling. This overly forceful technique can result in acute injuries.

Even if polyps don’t occur, other injuries (such as hemorrhage, nodules, and cysts) may occur when singing on swollen vocal cords.
Well your still smoking it, even if its only a little bit of smoke.

I personally would invest in a vaporizer if I was a singer.
I'll put my anti weed lecture aside but honestly I'm pretty sure it can dry out your vocal chords however I'm unsure as to whether it's effects are long lasting but I don't think they're permanent. I'd advise you don't do it all the time just in case but otherwise just don't do it right before you sing, practise or performance.
Yes. I'm sure the effects are slightly different to smoking tobacco, but it's more or less the same thing i.e. inflammation, laryngitis, potential nodules. I'm a singer, and find my voice to be more stressed in the days following a bout of weed smoking. I try to avoid using it more than occasionally. It also makes the vocal chords feel "dryer", and my overall timbre is thinner.
(edited 9 years ago)
are we talking smoking pure weed or like smoking pure weed?
From a singing point of view I'd be more worried about smoking in general :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Aivicore
Bill Hicks?

I'm inclined to semi-agree. Most of my favourite music wouldn't exist without drugs.

Anyway, on-topic:
Yes. I'm sure the effects are slightly different to smoking tobacco, but it's more or less the same thing i.e. inflammation, laryngitis, potential nodules. I'm a singer, and find my voice to be more stressed in the days following a bout of weed smoking. I try to avoid using it more than occasionally. It also makes the vocal chords feel "dryer", and my overall timbre is thinner.

Exactly the kind of advice i was lookin for, cheers dude. Yeah I've found my tuning goes funny if i'm smoking weed and my agility dies too
Omg you smoke weed, you are too cool.
Reply 10
Original post by voodoochild
I'm not looking for a lecture from the anti-weed brigade, just answers to the question please.

I doubt that it would be any worse than smoking, though it will probably have similar effects on your vocal chords.
Exactly the kind of advice i was lookin for, cheers dude. Yeah I've found my tuning goes funny if i'm smoking weed and my agility dies too

You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes. -bill hicks
Reply 13

Naughty Naughty C, how are you though?
Original post by lou 22
Naughty Naughty C, how are you though?

hey lou you alright? :wink: beena long time; aint used this site. I was banned for a bit too. I hate how lame this site has become
Original post by awe
I think it would. I know I would have sore throats sometimes, and I don't even sing. lmgtfy -

What damage can smoking marijuana do to the voice?

Vocal cord scarring (with decreased range)
Laryngitis
Traumatic injuries (polyps, nodules, etc)
Pre-cancerous changes
Lung disease

While vocal cord damage does result in raspiness, this is often something singers desire. However, the rasp is due to vocal cord scarring and that this is irreversible. The scarring is also progressive so that the mild rasp of the 20 year old becomes a significantly more dysfunctional voice in the 30 and 40 year old. Years of frequent smoking will result in accumulated damage, and a singing voice that is no longer capable of producing musical range.

Inhaling any kind of smoke causes laryngitis.

Laryngitis is inflammation of the vocal cords and occurs due to smoking. Swollen cords do not vibrate the way they need to for singing. Smokers’ cords are swollen but singers often “muscle through” performances despite this swelling. This overly forceful technique can result in acute injuries.

Even if polyps don’t occur, other injuries (such as hemorrhage, nodules, and cysts) may occur when singing on swollen vocal cords.

don't forget emphysema :colondollar:
Reply 16
hey lou you alright? :wink: beena long time; aint used this site. I was banned for a bit too. I hate how lame this site has become

I am fine thanks :smile:, but okay but the site has become super lame of late :frown:.
Reply 17
I'm pretty sure Nate Dogg smoked weed every day and his voice was always on point, RIP.
Original post by Tom78
I'm pretty sure Nate Dogg smoked weed every day and his voice was always on point, RIP.

dogg raps doe
Don't smoke weed and you won't have to worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest