The Student Room Group

The most touching or sad movies you've seen?

I tend to get emotional easily when I watch movies but there's some movies that still really make me cry every time I watch them, like for example Schindler's list, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Hair, Dead Poet's Society or Les Misérables. What movies made you cry or touched you the most?

I also have to confess that I cried all the way through the last Harry Potter movie when I went to see it, from like the first minutes until the very end because I felt like it was the end of my childhood when Harry Potter ended :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

LOTR 3 (when you watch them all closely, the end is extremely bittersweet, you could just cry for Sam)

Drive's ending carried good emotional weight to it

Up is touching throughout.

WALL-E, without even speaking, endears you to his character
Reply 2
Hachiko
probably "whisper of the heart" - the ending is...well I had a bit of a girly moment and thought "n'aww..." and that's extremely rare coming from me :lol: I had a major case of "the feels"
(edited 10 years ago)
Titanic gets me everytime I'm always wailing 'only one boat came back' whilst crying :laugh: I cried during the lovely bones and I was a wreck during the Perks of Being a Wallflower :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've never cried watching a movie but some movies make me very overwhelmed. I really liked Safe Haven :smile:
Reply 6
- Safety Not Guaranteed
- Grave of the Fireflies

...And a shedload more, which aren't springing to mind right now!
Reply 7
Original post by MidnightDream
Titanic gets me everytime I'm always wailing 'only one ship came back' whilst crying :laugh: I cried during the lovely bones and I was a wreck during the Perks of Being a Wallflower :smile:

Omg the lovely bones soo emotional and the first time that was soo romantic
Was blushing the whole movie loolImageUploadedByStudent Room1397777121.396164.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Titanic
Legends of the Fall
Braveheart
The Patriot
Last of the Mohicans
A walk to remember
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserbles
Forrest Gump
My Girl

I cry in most sad films though :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I don't think I've ever cried during a film.
Original post by Aivicore
- Safety Not Guaranteed
- Grave of the Fireflies

...And a shedload more, which aren't springing to mind right now!

I actually bought the dvd of grave of the fireflies and I put it in thinking "I'm apparently going to cry a lot at the end of this movie" but I didn't, I felt a bit bad for not being touched or saddened :lol: the atmosphere sort of seemed like the little girl (spoilers alert for anyone who hasn't seen it) died peacefully and not in very much pain, especially because her last words weren't the words of somebody who was in total misery - and the absence of sad music really was to blame for me not "feeling the correct way" I think, I'm the sort of person who will feel however music will tell me to feel, and with silence it really hasa hit or miss effect with me
Reply 11
Original post by The_Dragonborn
LOTR 3 (when you watch them all closely, the end is extremely bittersweet, you could just cry for Sam)

Drive's ending carried good emotional weight to it

Up is touching throughout.

WALL-E, without even speaking, endears you to his character

I totally agree with all of these. Great movies too :3
Reply 12
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
I actually bought the dvd of grave of the fireflies and I put it in thinking "I'm apparently going to cry a lot at the end of this movie" but I didn't, I felt a bit bad for not being touched or saddened :lol: the atmosphere sort of seemed like the little girl (spoilers alert for anyone who hasn't seen it) died peacefully and not in very much pain, especially because her last words weren't the words of somebody who was in total misery - and the absence of sad music really was to blame for me not "feeling the correct way" I think, I'm the sort of person who will feel however music will tell me to feel, and with silence it really hasa hit or miss effect with me

:p: I can understand that. Normally I need some kind of wonderfully crushing soundtrack to get me that upset, too (think Thomas Newman), but I refrained from listing all of those films here 'cause I realised it might be more the music than the story that did it for me. :biggrin:

You are bad and you should feel bad! :lol:
I jest, of course, though I'm still surprised you were more touched by 'Whisper of the Heart' than GOTF.
Original post by Aivicore
:p: I can understand that. Normally I need some kind of wonderfully crushing soundtrack to get me that upset, too (think Thomas Newman), but I refrained from listing all of those films here 'cause I realised it might be more the music than the story that did it for me. :biggrin:

You are bad and you should feel bad! :lol:
I jest, of course, though I'm still surprised you were more touched by 'Whisper of the Heart' than GOTF.

but to be fair grave of the fireflies (for most of the movie; it dragged on very slightly at the end in my honest opinion and they could have concluded it sooner) was an outstanding film and definitely one of my favourite animated movies, whether or not I broke down at the end :lol:. and but WOTH had an ending with happy music! :tongue: it made a world of difference for me aha
Philadelphia has to get a mention.
Beaches - couldn't stop crying Plus the song "wind beneath my wings " was a favourite of my gran and she asked us to play it to her when I said goodbye so it means a lot.

Animal films make me cry as well - cried at Red dog. Loved that film!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wall-E because the little thing's just so endearing :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Road to Perdition - a film about a boy with a prolific '30s mobster for a father who gets caught in the crossfire and sees his dad's true colours. Another is Green Street Hooligans based on football violence and culture.
Reply 18
seven pounds is a really good film
Miracle in Cell No. 7, anyone who can watch that without crying has to be heartless

Quick Reply

Latest