The Student Room Group

Cycling versus running

Ok, over the course of the holidays I have to do my PE coursework; which is a six week personal exercise plan. We make it all up ourselves, and we can do whatever exercises we choose, as long as they'll help improve cardiovascular endurance.

The thing is, running would be the most convenient activity to include, but I can't run for very long without my knees and shins starting to play up and as a result it tends to be a bit of a waste of time, because the duration of time I run for probably won't have any effect whatsoever as it's so small.

Cycling I find much kinder on my joints, but I'm not sure as to how it ranks in comparison to running. I could cycle for an hour or more each day without very much difficulty, but I definitely can't run non-stop for that long.

So how to running and cycling compare with regards to their effect on general cardiovascular endurance?

Scroll to see replies

I got an A* in GCSE P.E and I just pretended to have done all the exercise stuff and made everything up lol. Cycling is very good cardiovascular exercise and so you could do that and comment on why you didn't choose running (I can't see your choice of mark effecting your grade). What about swimming? that's really good, and it's as tiring as running I would sayxx
Reply 2
i cycle. but personally, i think running is a higher quality cardio exercise. idk...i think if you were to run for an hour that hour will be running only. if you were to cycle for one hour, it would be a mixture of cycling and coasting for some people. i also think running requires more energy, it can be harder to do. i know i can cycle for one hour and a half continously with hardly any breaks. but can i run continously for that length of time? no way at all. i also think it's easier to get better at cycling more quickly than someone can get good at running. in short, i have to admit that running is better cardio. i also think that running burns for calories than cycling? i heard that somewhere, i'm not sure if it is true but i wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Reply 3
i did sprint cycling whilst on holiday for a week.. three or four times a day, i'd do 1km or 2km (on a machine) in 2-5 mins. had no joint problems and it was very very effective. even going a bit slower (which you'd need to do for an hour each day!) is good. the smooth cyclical motion of the legs is far better than slapping your feet on hard concrete every second.
no joke, check out fartlecking for improving running and cv. im starting 1ok training in abot a week, there are loadsa pre made running/training plans out there.don't do more than 10k if yuve never done it seriously before tho. running is ace for the mind as wel as the body
Reply 5
Thanks everyone :smile:

Anon- Yep, I'm doing swimming too and some dancing/generic aerobic work, just wondering about the running/cycling situation. :smile: I don't think you're alone with the not doing your plan; apparently half of my year aren't going to attempt it at all. :tongue: I just thought it might be useful anyway, because I'd like to be fitter for football.

Tocktick- I know what you're saying. I think running is harder simply because you propel yourself, and obviously you dont have the help of wheels etc to gain speed as on a bike. If I could run for an hour then I definitely would be keen to do that, but the longest period I've run for would be when we did the twelve minute run at school. Therefore I think maybe even though cycling isn't so intense, it might balance out simply because I can do more.

Silence- that's a good idea, because we're supposed to use different methods of training anyway, so I could do a mixture of continuous on some days and interval (short sprints with some resting in between) on others. :smile:

Blondemoment- I forgot about Fartlek- we had a look at it in PE and I think it's quite good to start with because it isn't quite as harsh as saying: "Right, 800m then"- you can more adjust it to your level.
hmmmm , i wonder if rowing is any good for cardiovascular endurance coz i do that everyday for 30mins on the rowing machine at home....... i dont its affective as running tho in terms of burning fat....
Reply 7
Dude, I made up a PEP for GCSE PE but I didn't actually DO it! :rofl:

(I got an A*)
Reply 8
I suppose it is still possible to do ok without doing it- we have to show improvement in the bleep test by at least a few levels, but even if you don't you can just say you obviously didn't work at a high enough intensity; your sessions were too short; you injured yourself and reversibility occurred.. etc.

But I'd like to get a bit fitter anyway to help with the football.
Reply 9
suuuuuuseh
I suppose it is still possible to do ok without doing it- we have to show improvement in the bleep test by at least a few levels, but even if you don't you can just say you obviously didn't work at a high enough intensity; your sessions were too short; you injured yourself and reversibility occurred.. etc.

We so didn't.
Reply 10
david cool
hmmmm , i wonder if rowing is any good for cardiovascular endurance coz i do that everyday for 30mins on the rowing machine at home....... i dont its affective as running tho in terms of burning fat....

Rowing is excellent for cardio endurance because it works the whole body, and its easy on your joints like cycling is. If you do any exercise properly and push yourself then you will see some gains.
This is a great resource for running:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
I know this doesnt have much to do with the thread but i did a smallish circular trac krunning for 30 minutes a day for about 2 weeks and for the last 3 weeks i havent been able to run because the inside muscle of my calves hurt and my foot feels like it need to click into place. So cycling.
Bluelight
I know this doesnt have much to do with the thread but i did a smallish circular trac krunning for 30 minutes a day for about 2 weeks and for the last 3 weeks i havent been able to run because the inside muscle of my calves hurt and my foot feels like it need to click into place. So cycling.

Well if you are relatively new to running for quite long periods or have come back from a long layoff then i'm not suprised your muscles are ****ed. You should have days off to recover from the strain to your muscles and connective tissues. You would have to do the same if you did bike work instead.
gas_panic!
Well if you are relatively new to running for quite long periods or have come back from a long layoff then i'm not suprised your muscles are ****ed. You should have days off to recover from the strain to your muscles and connective tissues. You would have to do the same if you did bike work instead.
Well i did about 3 days in a row the na day off, so you reckon the reason my muscles hurt is because i was new to running? Its just as its the inside muscles that hurt , I thought it was from doing a circular track and i suppose leaning a bit on one ankle??
Bluelight
Well i did about 3 days in a row the na day off, so you reckon the reason my muscles hurt is because i was new to running? Its just as its the inside muscles that hurt , I thought it was from doing a circular track and i suppose leaning a bit on one ankle??

Sounds like you have shin splints. It's common injury that is easily fixed in most cases by rest. To avoid it just make sure you warm up and down after each run, and wear proper running shoes.
Reply 16
silence
i did sprint cycling whilst on holiday for a week.. three or four times a day, i'd do 1km or 2km (on a machine) in 2-5 mins. had no joint problems and it was very very effective. even going a bit slower (which you'd need to do for an hour each day!) is good. the smooth cyclical motion of the legs is far better than slapping your feet on hard concrete every second.

I would say you can do sprint-style cycling for anything up to about 25km...

If you want to push yourself harder on a bike then buy a single speed - they require you to really push hard to maintain speed.etc., so its beneficial but you dont have the impact on your joints.
Reply 17
gas_panic!
This is a great resource for running:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Thanks a lot! :smile: I remember that site from ages ago, and the couch to 5k workout is really good.
Reply 18
Talya
We so didn't.

Really? Woah, that'd be fine to do- because the theory isn't too hard; the improving part is the biggest thing. And if it doesn't work you have to come up with possible reasons for why it didn't, and you have to do an oral exam on it too.

I so should have just quit out on level 4 or something on the bleep test. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Talya
Dude, I made up a PEP for GCSE PE but I didn't actually DO it! :rofl:

(I got an A*)

:ditto: :biggrin: Mine made me sound very fit and I filled in a little evaluation each week saying how much easier I'm finding it but that I couldn't make this session due to lots of coursework and just rambled on about poo to make it sound convincing :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending