The Student Room Group

Does creepy just mean ugly?

OK, let's settle this once and for all. Do you guys think when girls use the word 'creepy' to describe a guy they didn't want approaching them for example, they just mean he was ugly? No girl would admit that though, since it comes off as shallow, and girls have the whole 'it's what's on the inside that counts' sappy stereotype to live up to. It's much easier to label him a creep which can cover a lot of bases, from how he looks to the way he acts.

At the very least I think unattractive guys will get called creepy much faster than anyone else.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Pretty much, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For some girls, yeah. For me personally, it means someone who is being incredibly inappropriate to a point where they make you feel uncomfortable in yourself. My mum's cousin who's been living in my house for a while is your classic creepy uncle - he quite literally stalks me around my house whenever I'm not in my room (the only room that's completely off limits to him) or he'll do things to get my attention or he'll linger/lurk when I'm in my kitchen/living room/garden. I've dealt with a lot of sleazy guys over the last few years but creepy guys like my uncle top them all because the things they do are things that just make you feel so uncomfortable in your own skin that simply being in a different room to them isn't enough to escape that feeling that you're being watched all the time.
No.
Being creepy has much to do with how you carry your self and your behaviour than looks.
(edited 9 years ago)
No. Ugliness however is considered an element of creepy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vixen47
For some girls, yeah. For me personally, it means someone who is being incredibly inappropriate to a point where they make you feel uncomfortable in yourself. My mum's cousin who's been living in my house for a while is your classic creepy uncle - he quite literally stalks me around my house whenever I'm not in my room (the only room that's completely off limits to him) or he'll do things to get my attention or he'll linger/lurk when I'm in my kitchen/living room/garden. I've dealt with a lot of sleazy guys over the last few years but creepy guys like my uncle top them all because the things they do are things that just make you feel so uncomfortable in your own skin that simply being in a different room to them isn't enough to escape that feeling that you're being watched all the time.

The situation with the uncle sounds a little strange... if not scary. Hope he's really a nice guy and its the stereotypes clouding my mind
it better ****ing not do.
Reply 7
its a mixture of being unattractive and persistent

the more attractive you are, the more persistence you have to show before being labelled 'creepy'
Delete
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by failingatm

the more attractive you are, the more persistence you have to show before being labelled 'creepy'

This. It's incredibly sexist, it's literally the biggest barrier to feminism.
Reply 10
Gonna be honest.

Yup.
The more attractive you are, the more leeway you'll have in reaching the "creep" zone. Attractive blokes can be creepy too, its just a different threshold for them.

Its human nature I guess. There's a natural tendency to perceive things in different ways when even the same thing is said by 2 people of varying physical attractiveness. There's a reason why a fair few really good looking blokes can get away with the "bad boy" attitude, while if the average joe tried that sort of behavior or had that sort of personality, he'd get slaughtered.

Works the other way too though. Guys may not use the term "creepy" but most of us will give far more time of day to the pretty girl saying one thing than the not so good looking one saying the same. Halo effect and all that jazz. We're all mostly shallow ****ers really.

There's going to be a war in this thread isn't there? :redface:. Menz vs wimminz. TSR round 1241231.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes op, you've discovered the truth. Women only care about looks.

'sexist' also only applies to ugly men. A good looking man can get away with a laughable amount of misogyny and women will still tolerate him (it's true because I've seen it).
It often means poor social skills.

In some cases yes if a hot guy did the same thing it would be considered a joke/friendly
Original post by elpistolero7
The more attractive you are, the more leeway you'll have in reaching the "creep" zone. Attractive blokes can be creepy too, its just a different threshold for them.

A man women find attractive can never be creepy, ever.
Original post by quads1992
A man women find attractive can never be creepy, ever.

Well, I've seen it happen in front of me when my female friends have been creeped the **** out of by some seriously good looking dudes on nights out. If you carry yourself like a plonker and behave like an utter bellend, chances are you'll be in the creep zone, regardless of how good looking you are.
Lol at all the men on the thread crying that women care about looks, like as if men don't. It's simply human nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The vast majority of the time, yes.
Original post by failingatm

This. Though the attractiveness isn't necessarily based on handsomeness or beauty
No, there are some very good-looking creeps of both sexes.

Quick Reply

Latest