The Student Room Group

What makes your life meaningful? What would you consider a successful life?

Meaning of life can be quite arbitrary and is different for everyone depending on circumstances and expectations, and stuff like that.

What gives your life purpose?
What would would you need to consider your life successful?
What constitutes an unsuccessful life?

Scroll to see replies

I honestly don't think life has a purpose, there is no overall objective or end goal to arrive at, all you can do is enjoy it as it goes whizzing on by.

Life is one of those things that you will never win, you can't, you can only fail and when is just really a matter of time. What does that mean in practice; that setting arbitrary goals is a waste and that you are much better served by working on the fly, rather than a target>disappointment>target cycle.
Reply 2
Original post by mojojojo101
I honestly don't think life has a purpose, there is no overall objective or end goal to arrive at, all you can do is enjoy it as it goes whizzing on by.

Life is one of those things that you will never win, you can't, you can only fail and when is just really a matter of time. What does that mean in practice; that setting arbitrary goals is a waste and that you are much better served by working on the fly, rather than a target>disappointment>target cycle.

Yeah, the arbitrariness is my point - it can't be objectively measured - and so people come up with stuff like the accumulation of wealth or experiences or successes etc as a marker for their own 'success'.

Although I agree there is no objective measure - I wouldn't know what to do if I thought there was simply no point in living, at least on a personal level. Like for me, I just want to be a benefit to humanity, but I have mini goals in what I do to get me there (like educational ones etc.). Though an over reliance on targets and goals and then disappointment is never good.
Reply 3
The people you're with, give your life some purpose. For me, a successful life doesn't mean wealth, a big expensive car, posh lifestyle etc. To me, success simply means, being able to smile, a genuine smile that is.. Being there when someone needs you, because ones life isn't his/her own, he/she shares it with the people that are part of your life, so success is simply happiness, to see others happy :smile: a successful life to me means, once old, looking back and smiling, having no regrets. People look back and thing oh I should have done that, this.. So not having any such regrets is success..having someone by your side who loves you for who you are is success, hence a successful life to me means living, not just existing :smile:
To me an unsuccessful life means ending up alone, not being able to smile, not having someone next to you at the dinner table, not having someone there to tell when you have good news. An unsuccessful life means not going beyond your limits, there are many possibilities out there, not exploring them, and sticking to one thing for the rest of your lives, I think is a failure in ones life.
Money comes and goes, those things don't matter at all. Money is but a substance, happiness isn't. Hence an unsuccessful life is, only existing, not living.

Posted from TSR Mobile
happiness

What would you need to consider your life successful?
happiness

unhappiness

it's all about the ol cliche - live, love, laugh
I believe we have a superior sense of self and believe that we are here for a reason when in fact there is no point at all. But I think that despite it being untrue, it still helps to believe it. It suggests that whatever you do can affect people/the world around you and create a positive change.

I'm torn between wanting to make a difference (in that case what makes my life meaningful is helping people, and that's also why I want to be a writer, to affect a lot of people from my books), and just enjoying life with friends and fun etc.

It's dependent on the person really. For me it's about my feelings and how many people I can affect for the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes I think everyone has random moments when they think that there really is not much of a purpose, they just are. If you think about it:s-smilie:ATS do well to get into a good secondary school (or 11+ or another entry exam), do well at GCSEs to get into Sixth form, do well as A levels to get into uni, graduate with flying colours to get a good job, work to get a promotion, carry on working hard to have a good retirement. All your life you are working hard in order to be free many years later
That said, I think everyone needs to find a purpose otherwise, they might end up lost and not knowing what they are doing at all. You need a bit of hope to cling onto. Mine is to do veterinary because I want to help endangered species and abused animals
Reply 7
Original post by snowystarks
I believe we have a superior sense of self and believe that we are here for a reason when in fact there is no point at all. But I think that despite it being untrue, it still helps to believe it. It suggests that whatever you do can affect people/the world around you and create a positive change.

I'm torn between wanting to make a difference (in that case what makes my life meaningful is helping people, and that's also why I want to be a writer, to affect a lot of people from my books), and just enjoying life with friends and fun etc.

It's dependent on the person really. For me it's about my feelings and how many people I can affect for the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do ya mean by the first 2 lines?
Yeah, most people tend to mention the 2 of helping and happiness!
Seems TSR isn't very materialistic :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Sometimes I think everyone has random moments when they think that there really is not much of a purpose, they just are. If you think about it:s-smilie:ATS do well to get into a good secondary school (or 11+ or another entry exam), do well at GCSEs to get into Sixth form, do well as A levels to get into uni, graduate with flying colours to get a good job, work to get a promotion, carry on working hard to have a good retirement. All your life you are working hard in order to be free many years later
That said, I think everyone needs to find a purpose otherwise, they might end up lost and not knowing what they are doing at all. You need a bit of hope to cling onto. Mine is to do veterinary because I want to help endangered species and abused animals

Yeah, need to avoid chasing dreams to the detriment of everything else but at the same time those goals are needed to be in the position you wanna be.
Sounds like an awesome job :smile: species endangerment seems to be a pretty big problem nowadays.
Reply 9
you have achieved your goals and wishes, and should therefore be happy :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
Yeah, need to avoid chasing dreams to the detriment of everything else but at the same time those goals are needed to be in the position you wanna be.
Sounds like an awesome job :smile: species endangerment seems to be a pretty big problem nowadays.

It would make me happy. And that's the only thing that can make me motivated enough to work :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by numanali
The people you're with, give your life some purpose. For me, a successful life doesn't mean wealth, a big expensive car, posh lifestyle etc. To me, success simply means, being able to smile, a genuine smile that is.. Being there when someone needs you, because ones life isn't his/her own, he/she shares it with the people that are part of your life, so success is simply happiness, to see others happy :smile: a successful life to me means, once old, looking back and smiling, having no regrets. People look back and thing oh I should have done that, this.. So not having any such regrets is success..having someone by your side who loves you for who you are is success, hence a successful life to me means living, not just existing :smile:
To me an unsuccessful life means ending up alone, not being able to smile, not having someone next to you at the dinner table, not having someone there to tell when you have good news. An unsuccessful life means not going beyond your limits, there are many possibilities out there, not exploring them, and sticking to one thing for the rest of your lives, I think is a failure in ones life.
Money comes and goes, those things don't matter at all. Money is but a substance, happiness isn't. Hence an unsuccessful life is, only existing, not living.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You put some emphasis on having others there for you. I guess this is a pretty big thing - and one which many people later regret if they work too hard and forget the other stuff.
I feel people too strongly rely on and attach too much meaning to money, when like you say, it just comes and goes and is mere substance.
For me it would primarily be to get a PhD in chemistry and end up being a researcher and lecturer. After that starting a family would be great.
Helping other people, making them smile when they're feeling down or allowing them to live a more worthwhile life if, for whatever reason, they're more vulnerable than yourself. There's nothing more worthwhile to me. Making others happy makes me happy.
Reply 14
I consider it a personal success if I manage to stop myself from punching people everyday (so far it's working well)
Jokes aside- I think the meaning of life is to understand more (sort of Descartes-esque with 'I think, therefore I am') and that a life that isn't meaningful is, I guess, unsuccessful in this sense.
Original post by hellodave5
What do ya mean by the first 2 lines?
Yeah, most people tend to mention the 2 of helping and happiness!
Seems TSR isn't very materialistic :smile:

Maybe i would be materialistic if i didn't feel so lonely all the time.. :smile:

I basically mean that humans think that there is a reason they are on this Earth, and that there is a purpose for living. No one ever says dogs are here for a reason, we come and go in this life and we don't matter in the long run. It hurts people to think that their lives are meaningless so we create this illusion that there is a bigger picture and we are made to have a meaningful life. In reality i think it's just because our brains are more evolved (evolution, nothing more) and we have the ability to think these things.

I don't know if that's more confusing, but that's what i believe :smile:
Obviously not everyone thinks this of course, i'm generalizing.
Reply 16
Original post by snowystarks
Maybe i would be materialistic if i didn't feel so lonely all the time.. :smile:

I basically mean that humans think that there is a reason they are on this Earth, and that there is a purpose for living. No one ever says dogs are here for a reason, we come and go in this life and we don't matter in the long run. It hurts people to think that their lives are meaningless so we create this illusion that there is a bigger picture and we are made to have a meaningful life. In reality i think it's just because our brains are more evolved (evolution, nothing more) and we have the ability to think these things.

I don't know if that's more confusing, but that's what i believe :smile:
Obviously not everyone thinks this of course, i'm generalizing.

Yeah I completely agree with you! :smile: We humans are very ego-centric and think we're vastly important. As you say, we just have more developed brains. You're also right in that we create illusions and biases for ourselves to sort of create meaning.
Reply 17
A wise man once told me...

If you hold on to your life you will lose it, but if you give your life away you will live forever.

Always liked that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Dunno... I want it to be learning, understanding, and exploring the universe, but I've only realised that interest after completing my degree (and thus can't get finance for another one & can't afford it).

What would would you need to consider your life successful?
I don't think it can be successful. I mean, I'd like to live forever and that's impossible. It's not necessarily about losing my consciousness, but losing it before I know what's out there is frustrating. There are so many mysteries that our generation isn't even close to understanding, and I'd love to know it all, but we're thousands of years too early for that.

Well, the above renders it unsuccessful by default effectively.
Reply 19
1. Unhappiness
2. Happiness
3. Unhappiness

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending