The Student Room Group

Bristol or Manchester?

Hi,
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago (In the Caribbean) and I've applied to study law, I got conditionals from Bristol Manchester Kent and Sussex...

I'll probably put Kent as my insurance because their offer is lower, but i can't decide what to put for my firm

Most likely though, its between Manchester and Bristol. Where do you guys think I'll fit in more and which is better in terms of - Night life, weather, the local area, student population and the actual degree etc ?
If you have info on Sussex as well that would be appreciated.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by zarasmith
Hi,
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago (In the Caribbean) and I've applied to study law, I got conditionals from Bristol Manchester Kent and Sussex...

I'll probably put Kent as my insurance because their offer is lower, but i can't decide what to put for my firm

Most likely though, its between Manchester and Bristol. Where do you guys think I'll fit in more and which is better in terms of - Night life, weather, the local area, student population and the actual degree etc ?

Hi I was in the same situation as you picking between bristol and manchester for law both are great uni's in the end I picked manchester but I'll give you my honest opinion on both. Both are know for there great nightlife I'd say manchester more so though because it is a much larger city. The weather in bristol would probably be better as it is in the south and manchester is in the north which is known for being wetter but both will be for the majority cold and wet as it is Britain at the end of the day haha bristol is seen as the more prestigious university and may give you marginally better job prospects in terms of the student population bristol has a lot of students from private school and in my opinion when I visited everyone was very posh some bordering on pretentious which is what mainly put me off the university but this is probably because I didn't view myself as someone who is particularly posh so I enjoyed the more down to earth feeling I got at manchester. Also student accomodation is slightly cheaper at manchester there is also a student accomodation area in manchester called fallowfield which is very student orientated so you would always be around students. If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to try to help
Reply 2
Bristol.
Reply 3
Bristol if you can stand posh, pretentious people.

I can't, so I decided against it.
Reply 4
Manchester 1000000%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zarasmith
Hi,

I am a Manchester University law graduate (so biased) but I would go for Manchester. Bristol and Manchester were two of my choices and I chose Manchester 1) because of the nightlife 2) because the people are friendlier 3) because the city has good links for work experience etc arguably better than Bristol 4) Manchester has a better world class reputation.

Ultimately they're both good institutions and Bristol does do better in rankings (for what they're worth!) so it doesn't matter too much and you won't be hindered by either. An additional consideration for you might be in terms of international students- Manchester has a fantastic reputation globally and so attracts a huge amount of international students. I know there are lots of societies and opportunities etc that would specifically apply to you so that may be something to bear in mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending