The Student Room Group

Lee Priest Addresses The Squat Police

Thought this was quite entertaining.

He is quite right, the majority of people who preach 'ass to grass' look like sticks themselves.

[video="youtube;Vyrc9r8sgys"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyrc9r8sgys&feature[/video]
If you're a bodybuilder only concerned about developing huge quads then yes you don't need to squat ATG,
but for overall leg development, flexibility and strength, why wouldn't you go ATG? In fact for quad development he doesn't even need to do
squats, he could do hack squats, leg press, even leg extensions and still have his legs grow!

This guy rather arrogantly assumes everyone trains for the same reasons he does.
Also I really don't like this argument, "but look at their legs!" It really proves nothing, your knowledge is in know way limited
or determined by your physical size.
Reply 3
I'm wary about trusting anyone who is stupid enough to tattoo their face with the mark of the Imadouche tribe.
Reply 4
Original post by MrFlash1994
If you're a bodybuilder only concerned about developing huge quads then yes you don't need to squat ATG,
but for overall leg development, flexibility and strength, why wouldn't you go ATG? In fact for quad development he doesn't even need to do
squats, he could do hack squats, leg press, even leg extensions and still have his legs grow!

This guy rather arrogantly assumes everyone trains for the same reasons he does.

I assume his context is bodybuilding and I think we can reasonably assume he is aware of the differences in training for strength. I'm sure we can also assume that as a top pro bodybuilder he is aware there are other leg exercises and has reasons for choosing squats as one of his leg exercises.

Original post by Genocidal
I'm wary about trusting anyone who is stupid enough to tattoo their face with the mark of the Imadouche tribe.

You'll miss a lot of good advice in life if you choose to be wary of experts because of irrelevant factors.

And yeah, I found it entertaining too
It's the inch squatters / quarter squatters who are the dweebs. Parraell squatting is fine if you are trying to keep the load on your quads. Personally, I prefer to squat below par.

I used to get annoyed at others squatting high, but now I don't care. Each to their own. Squat how you want to squat :-)

BTW Genocidal - Lee Priest is one of the biggest names in bodybuilding, so hush.
Original post by commandant
I used to get annoyed at others squatting high, but now I don't care. Each to their own. Squat how you want to squat :-)

A quote from Mark "Spud" Bartley; former world record holder in the Squat:

"The only time I Squat to depth is in competition."

Heard this quote watching a guy called Jamie Lewis, and ever since it made me determined not to be a weak, armchair expert on the internet.
That guy is one of the problems I have with the fitness industry.

He may have legitimate reasons for his depth, I don't really care about that, but is attitude to knowledge is both moronic and intolerable.

Apart from one off hand 'keeps focus on quads', which I might add he doesn't make any attempts to substantiate, ths rest is just fallacies and ad hominims.

Talk about fighting fire with fire, jeez. Don't even get me started on the ****ing outstanding irony of slating those who take drugs. Look at the ****ing guy, is anybody going to be thick enough to claim he's the fountain of health and never put a pharmalogical substance in his body?

Total clown I have zero respect and zero time for. He thinks he's better and smarter than everyone else because he puts effort into his physique. Closed minded tosspot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BKS
I assume his context is bodybuilding and I think we can reasonably assume he is aware of the differences in training for strength. I'm sure we can also assume that as a top pro bodybuilder he is aware there are other leg exercises and has reasons for choosing squats as one of his leg exercises.

Thats a lot of assumptions you've made there on pretty baseless claims. He might not have a ****ing clue what he's doing and get by with drugs, genetics and a good team. Neither of us can comment really which is why assumptions are crap and pointless.

Would you defend Jeff Sied with these assumptions as well? He did his own meal prep for Mr Olympia and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RollerBall
Thats a lot of assumptions you've made there on pretty baseless claims. He might not have a ****ing clue what he's doing and get by with drugs, genetics and a good team. Neither of us can comment really which is why assumptions are crap and pointless.

Would you defend Jeff Sied with these assumptions as well? He did his own meal prep for Mr Olympia and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are all far from far fetched assumptions.

He is a bodybuilder who makes videos about bodybuilding related things. If we are aware that strength and bodybuilding training are different then why wouldn't he be? He's been training for longer than the vast majority of folk on this site have been alive so I think it'd be pretty hard for him not to have worked that out.

I have no particular attachment to whether or not Lee Priest is a tosspot (or anything else) because I have very little interest in bodybuilding. My point was more that both post I was quoting is objecting to him on silly grounds.
Original post by BKS
They are all far from far fetched assumptions.

He is a bodybuilder who makes videos about bodybuilding related things. If we are aware that strength and bodybuilding training are different then why wouldn't he be? He's been training for longer than the vast majority of folk on this site have been alive so I think it'd be pretty hard for him not to have worked that out.

I have no particular attachment to whether or not Lee Priest is a tosspot (or anything else) because I have very little interest in bodybuilding. My point was more that both post I was quoting is objecting to him on silly grounds.

I'll ask you again, would you make the same assumptions to defend Jeff Sied? Do the Hodge twins only spout gospel because they're big guys and make YouTube videos?

Your assumption he knows what he's talking about because he's been training long is just as flawed as his assumptions that guys smaller than him don't know ****.

Assumptions are always that, an assumption. You have extrapolated loads of extra information that he doesn't even allude to in the video and used that to refute an argument. If that doesn't scream bias I have no idea what does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I'll ask you again, would you make the same assumptions to defend Jeff Sied? Do the Hodge twins only spout gospel because they're big guys and make YouTube videos?

Your assumption he knows what he's talking about because he's been training long is just as flawed as his assumptions that guys smaller than him don't know ****.

Assumptions are always that, an assumption. You have extrapolated loads of extra information that he doesn't even allude to in the video and used that to refute an argument. If that doesn't scream bias I have no idea what does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you assuming that I'm saying he's obviously right on squat depth? I can only assume you are because otherwise I have no idea what your issue is. I don't know or care if he is right or not. But if people are going to disagree with him then disagree with him on the actual point not whether he'd generalise to everyone (he doesn't actually say how generally he is talking so saying it applies to everyone is equally assumptive but significantly less probable), whether he needs to squat or not or his tattoos.

I also don't know or care what I'm meant to defend Jeff Sied about, like I said little interest in bodybuilding. The Hodge Twins also entertain me regardless of how much gospel they spout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, but someone who has competed at My Olympia knows a thing or two about training.

He also competed last year after a long spell out, he smashed all the other competitors.

It's like saying a top boxer doesn't know anything about boxing, or a top rower doesn't know anything about rowing. Or Dan Greene doesn't know anything about powerlifting. It's ludicrous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm sorry, but someone who has competed at My Olympia knows a thing or two about training.

He also competed last year after a long spell out, he smashed all the other competitors.

It's like saying a top boxer doesn't know anything about boxing, or a top rower doesn't know anything about rowing. Or Dan Greene doesn't know anything about powerlifting. It's ludicrous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree he obviously knows a thing or two, if you get to the top and stay at the top of any field then you are an expert. But to be fair, that's doesn't mean he's necessarily right though he is likely to be right.
You're right. He knows what works for him. He's not going to faff around doing exercises which aren't giving him growth.

Find out what works for you as an individual

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right. He knows what works for him. He's not going to faff around doing exercises which aren't giving him growth.

Find out what works for you as an individual other

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's my point. I don't care about depth, it's his attitude. There is extremely little substance in that video. Apart from 'keeps emphasis on quads' which he makes no attempt to substantiate there is literally nothing of use in that video. He's just as bad as broscientists who preach what 'worked' for them whilst dosed up to their eye balls.

Neither of you are answering my question. Would you defend and make the same assumptions for Jeff Sied? He was the youngest ever Mr olympiad and has done all his training, research and programming himself. The only difference is his attitude. Seid makes unsubstantiated claims on YouTube and whenever he makes a mistake is absolutely slaughtered on this forum. There is very little difference between Seid and Priests videos in term of basis apart from their attitudes and looks.

Why is it, the fitness forum is all about evidence, science and publications apart from when this muppet opens his mouth? You are both trying to justify this guys point of view with absolutely bugger all apart from 'I think' and 'I assume'.

Frankly, I expected better from you Commandant. BKS seems to have grasped my point without even realising. Just because he is at the top doesn't mean he is correct. It means he is good at making himself grow, be it with a team of people, drugs, genetics or fancy programming. It does not mean he understands how people should train and as a result, he is just as bad as everyone else who says things in the fitness industry based only on anecdotal evidence.

That, coupled with his 'better than everyone else' attitude makes him a moron in my eyes. There are so many more variables to growth outside of a single exercises ROM and the fact he dismisses anybodies opinion who isn't jacked makes him stupid. I look forward to him ignoring his overweight smoking doctors advice and killing himself, because he knows best. His doctor couldn't possibly know anything, he isn't in exemplary health.

If he had come in, explained his logic on depth and not acted like a total douche to anybody who dare disagree with him I would not have had a problem. Demonstration of knowledge will make me listen to you, not being jacked and talking like you're superior to anyone who with the audacity to reject his ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Expected better of me :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Lol.

Dude, he is fully entitled to have an 'I'm better than you' attitude because, frankly, he is.

Lifting is not a science. Those who treat it as such and especially those who post about doing so on forums generally aren't very big or very strong.

I don't listen to anyone's opinion on training who hasn't reached a certain threshold of strength and or size because their opinion is worthless simply by grace of the fact that they haven't earned the right to an opinion yet.

A lot more people would be a lot bigger and a lot stronger if they spent more time listening to people who are clearly their betters and training hard instead of debating silly things that don't really matter like squat depth.
Reply 18
That's my point. I don't care about depth, it's his attitude. There is extremely little substance in that video. Apart from 'keeps emphasis on quads' which he makes no attempt to substantiate there is literally nothing of use in that video. He's just as bad as broscientists who preach what 'worked' for them whilst dosed up to their eye balls.

Neither of you are answering my question. Would you defend and make the same assumptions for Jeff Sied? He was the youngest ever Mr olympiad and has done all his training, research and programming himself. The only difference is his attitude. Seid makes unsubstantiated claims on YouTube and whenever he makes a mistake is absolutely slaughtered on this forum. There is very little difference between Seid and Priests videos in term of basis apart from their attitudes and looks.

Why is it, the fitness forum is all about evidence, science and publications apart from when this muppet opens his mouth? You are both trying to justify this guys point of view with absolutely bugger all apart from 'I think' and 'I assume'.

Frankly, I expected better from you Commandant. BKS seems to have grasped my point without even realising. Just because he is at the top doesn't mean he is correct. It means he is good at making himself grow, be it with a team of people, drugs, genetics or fancy programming. It does not mean he understands how people should train and as a result, he is just as bad as everyone else who says things in the fitness industry based only on anecdotal evidence.

That, coupled with his 'better than everyone else' attitude makes him a moron in my eyes. There are so many more variables to growth outside of a single exercises ROM and the fact he dismisses anybodies opinion who isn't jacked makes him stupid. I look forward to him ignoring his overweight smoking doctors advice and killing himself, because he knows best. His doctor couldn't possibly know anything, he isn't in exemplary health.

If he had come in, explained his logic on depth and not acted like a total douche to anybody who dare disagree with him I would not have had a problem. Demonstration of knowledge will make me listen to you, not being jacked and talking like you're superior to anyone who with the audacity to reject his ideas.
Posted from TSR Mobile

When has it been all about science? There isn't a clear scientific answer on how to be the best possible bobdybuilder so experience has to be valued as a form of gathering knowledge. I think what you are holding as science half the time is just people who can explain their logic in biological terms. Maybe Priest can't but that doesn't make it less likely he is right- it would however with someone less experienced. You talk about him being surrounded by a team as if it means he's less likely to be right but what it means is he has the opportunity to have heard what the best have to say, his opinions will be informed by them (and their science). And yes, people on PEDs can/should train differently but probably not on squat depth and it doesn't mean he knows any less either.

Object to his attitude all you want though it's part of what I find ammusing.

Quick Reply

Latest