The Student Room Group

X factor audition about a month before exams?

This question is going to look very silly on here, seen as i'm sure most people don't debate this notion weeks before sitting AS levels :/
So, I love singing more than anything. I write songs too, around 50 so far. I'm not going to blow my own trumpet, but I'm good at it. But so are a high amount of people and I know that my dreams are really unrealistic and that I should grow up and focus on my studies. However, I can't do this as I feel I have to have some sort of crack at it.

I have applied for the next season of The X Factor, purely because I think it's a good, quick way of seeing if I am good enough. Don't get me wrong, I have been studying hard for exams, I am determined to get the best grades I can. However, I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on it, like would auditioning a few weeks before exams hinder my chances of good grades? Has anyone else on here auditioned? And just generally feel free to tell me if I am a deluded idiot or not?! Haha :smile: Thanks to anyone who answers
Someone I know is doing it, I say go for it.

What subjects do you do?

Also, audition won't take up all your time, just some days. Can always revise while waiting.
Reply 2
Ive never auditioned and I can't sing to save my life :wink: but I would say why not! You can revise and during revision breaks sing your heart out!! Good luck BUT imo x factor, Britain's got Talent and shows like that are a fix. If you don't get through its not necessarily because you're not good enough. :smile:
If you still work hard you'll get the good grades, the singing as a hobby and if something comes of it GREAT!!
Good Luck. Hope I've answered your question :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were nervous about auditioning then it might get in the way. What about if you get through to the next stage and whatever happens next clashes with your exams? Getting a "yes" at the audition (which isn't always in front of the judges, sometimes you have to see producers first) is only the start - very, very few people make it to the live shows, and even then most of them you'll never hear of again - often this includes the winner!

That being said, it would be an experience. It's up to you. Are you struggling with your A Level subjects or are you finding them quite straightforward? If you need to work I'd say maybe audition next year or something.. but who am I to get in the way of true talent!

A much better way would be to post a video of you singing on here and I will give you my honest opinion. It doesn't just matter if you're a good singer, it's about your personality. And if your dog has just died all the better.
Reply 4
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Someone I know is doing it, I say go for it.

What subjects do you do?

Also, audition won't take up all your time, just some days. Can always revise while waiting.

I take Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Lit and am predicted 4 Bs
Reply 5
Original post by purplelamp
Ive never auditioned and I can't sing to save my life :wink: but I would say why not! You can revise and during revision breaks sing your heart out!! Good luck BUT imo x factor, Britain's got Talent and shows like that are a fix. If you don't get through its not necessarily because you're not good enough. :smile:
If you still work hard you'll get the good grades, the singing as a hobby and if something comes of it GREAT!!
Good Luck. Hope I've answered your question :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I am going to audition and just focus on my studies and then go for it and see what happens
Original post by lottiemursxx
I take Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Lit and am predicted 4 Bs

I say go for it then :yy: though if you're good, I'd say the voice over X factor/BGT
Reply 7
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you were nervous about auditioning then it might get in the way. What about if you get through to the next stage and whatever happens next clashes with your exams? Getting a "yes" at the audition (which isn't always in front of the judges, sometimes you have to see producers first) is only the start - very, very few people make it to the live shows, and even then most of them you'll never hear of again - often this includes the winner!

That being said, it would be an experience. It's up to you. Are you struggling with your A Level subjects or are you finding them quite straightforward? If you need to work I'd say maybe audition next year or something.. but who am I to get in the way of true talent!

A much better way would be to post a video of you singing on here and I will give you my honest opinion. It doesn't just matter if you're a good singer, it's about your personality. And if your dog has just died all the better.

I am finding my A-levels quite hard tbh, even though I am apparently on target for my predicted grades I dont feel very confident about them :/ haha I wouldn't say I had 'true talent' I just work at it, I was going to audition last year but put it off to focus on GCSEs
Reply 8
Unless you have a sob story, and/or don't mind having 15 mins of fame with no real long-term results to be gained then go for it.

My old housemate was classically trained and auditioned. You go for 4 or 5 auditions in front of producers before you even get to the judges' panel. All of the crap singers get told they're amazing by the producers, thats why they're surprised to be told otherwise by the judges.

Total fix IMO and if you fail you'll be known as an x-factor reject forever. Why not try and become successful the proper way instead of some 'talent' show?
Reply 9
A-levels aren't that hard that you need to start revising a month beforehand, go for it!
Don't do it. Have some self respect. Please don't sup with the devil.
Reply 11
Original post by lottiemursxx
This question is going to look very silly on here, seen as i'm sure most people don't debate this notion weeks before sitting AS levels :/
So, I love singing more than anything. I write songs too, around 50 so far. I'm not going to blow my own trumpet, but I'm good at it. But so are a high amount of people and I know that my dreams are really unrealistic and that I should grow up and focus on my studies. However, I can't do this as I feel I have to have some sort of crack at it.

I have applied for the next season of The X Factor, purely because I think it's a good, quick way of seeing if I am good enough. Don't get me wrong, I have been studying hard for exams, I am determined to get the best grades I can. However, I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on it, like would auditioning a few weeks before exams hinder my chances of good grades? Has anyone else on here auditioned? And just generally feel free to tell me if I am a deluded idiot or not?! Haha :smile: Thanks to anyone who answers

We will decide whether you are a good singer-songwriter, not you. Post some material?
Reply 12
Sensible hat on here:

The X-factor will still be around in years to come. You have one decent crack at your exams. Just smash your exams, get good grades and progress the normal way through life and leave your singing career at least another year, otherwise you could end up with no singing and poor A Levels.
Reply 13
Original post by Schleigg
Sensible hat on here:

The X-factor will still be around in years to come. You have one decent crack at your exams. Just smash your exams, get good grades and progress the normal way through life and leave your singing career at least another year, otherwise you could end up with no singing and poor A Levels.

Miss maybe 1/2 a day of revision and all of a sudden you end up with 'poor a levels'. Hmmm.
Wow, good luck! :smile:
The only problem with delaying till next year is that next year will be A2s-which are arguable more important than AS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Jkizer
Miss maybe 1/2 a day of revision and all of a sudden you end up with 'poor a levels'. Hmmm.

That's only assuming the OP doesn't pass the audition and only spends half a day practicing for said audition.
Reply 17
Original post by Schleigg
That's only assuming the OP doesn't pass the audition and only spends half a day practicing for said audition.

You also assume the person will prioritise practicing over studying. Which if you read the original post seems less likely. Even then so, 1 - 2 hours will hardly cause major detrimental damage. It can be seen as using 'break time' as 'singing time'.

I don't know when they do all that second round stuff, so i can't make a full informed opinion on it. But many students miss fragments and/or the whole of the June/July A2 part of year 12.
Reply 18
Original post by Jkizer
You also assume the person will prioritise practicing over studying. Which if you read the original post seems less likely. Even then so, 1 - 2 hours will hardly cause major detrimental damage. It can be seen as using 'break time' as 'singing time'.

I don't know when they do all that second round stuff, so i can't make a full informed opinion on it. But many students miss fragments and/or the whole of the June/July A2 part of year 12.

No, I'm assuming that the person wants to pass the X-Factor auditions, which is not unreasonable.

If the person has themselves emotionally invested in the X-Factor then being able to concentrate on studying when the auditions are ever looming would probably be difficult as they approach. If someone is serious about practicing their music then they'll probably want to do more than just practice 1 or 2 hours total. I'm a paid amateur musician (i.e. I play gigs for money, but it's not my primary job) and I practice upwards of 2 hours a day a few days per week leading up to gig season, I don't have the time to dedicate any more; and it's not something you can do as a 'break' since it requires concentration and effort!

I don't know the timeline for follow up stuff either so can't comment. All I am saying is that for something that you can apply for effectively 'whenever', it's not worth taking away focus from something that is (realistically) much more likely to benefit you, your exams. Why not just apply later on?

Quick Reply

Latest