The Student Room Group

C1 Question Help.....

Could somebody please walk me though the following question and how to solve it please? I don't even know where to start.

Simplify:
5 -
√3 over 2 + √3
giving your answer in the form a + b
√3, where a and b are integers.

Also, if anyone knows what section of the Edexcel C1 book this topic is in, please let me know so I can find it :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Multiply through the entire fraction by the conjugate of the denominator. I.e., multiply both the numerator and denominator by 23.2 - \sqrt3.
have you tried rationalising the denominator?
(edited 10 years ago)
Rationalise and then simplify :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thomash131
Could somebody please walk me though the following question and how to solve it please? I don't even know where to start.

Simplify:
5 -
√3 over 2 + √3

Also, if anyone knows what section of the Edexcel C1 book this topic is in, please let me know so I can find it :smile:

Thanks!

532+3\dfrac{5- \sqrt{3}}{2+ \sqrt{3}} ?

You need to rationalise the denominator.

We do this by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, as (ab)(a+b)=a2b(a- \sqrt{b})(a+ \sqrt{b}) = a^2 - b.
Reply 5

Simplify:
5 -
√3 over 2 + √3

Thanks!

Have you heard about rationalising the denominator? I believe it is in chapter one :smile:
Reply 6
Oh god! I feel so stupid!

I literally thought to myself, could it be rationalizing the denominator? but brushed it aside because I got thrown off by the 2+ and 5-.

I'll definitely go over it now. Thanks everyone!
Reply 7
Original post by Zen-Ali
Multiply through the entire fraction by the conjugate of the denominator. I.e., multiply both the numerator and denominator by 23.2 - \sqrt3.

Original post by alow
532+3\dfrac{5- \sqrt{3}}{2+ \sqrt{3}} ?

You need to rationalise the denominator.

We do this by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, as (ab)(a+b)=a2b(a- \sqrt{b})(a+ \sqrt{b}) = a^2 - b.

Is this correct?

532+3\frac{5-\sqrt 3}{2+\sqrt3}x2323\frac{2-\sqrt 3}{2-\sqrt3}

= 105323+343\frac{10-5\sqrt 3 -2\sqrt 3 + 3}{4-3}

= 1073+31\frac{10-7\sqrt3 + 3}{1}

= 137313-7\sqrt 3

Thanks again everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Is this correct?

532+3\frac{5-\sqrt 3}{2+\sqrt3}x2323\frac{2-\sqrt 3}{2-\sqrt3}

= 105323+343\frac{10-5\sqrt 3 -2\sqrt 3 + 3}{4-3}

= 1073+31\frac{10-7\sqrt3 + 3}{1}

= 137313-7\sqrt 3

Thanks again everyone.

Looks good to me :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by alow
Looks good to me :smile:

YES! You don't understand how happy this makes me.

All hope for the Core 1 exam is not lost! Thank you again!
Reply 10
YES! You don't understand how happy this makes me.

All hope for the Core 1 exam is not lost! Thank you again!

[Indent]Your answer is correct! If ever you're stuck, you can use this site to check. [X] I would only recommend using it if you've tried several things first; as a last resort.

Best of luck.[/Indent]
Reply 11
Original post by Zen-Ali
Your answer is correct! If ever you're stuck, you can use this site to check. [X] I would only recommend using it if you've tried several things first; as a last resort.

Best of luck.
Awesome! Thanks for your help.
Reply 12
Original post by Zen-Ali

Are you Ramanujan?
Reply 13
Original post by Zakee
Are you Ramanujan?

[Indent]Lmfao, nobody on TSR is even close to Ramanujan.[/Indent]
Reply 14
Original post by Zen-Ali
Lmfao, nobody on TSR is even close to Ramanujan.

Lol you don't understand. No Mathematician alive today is even 1% of Ramanujan. Btw Ramanujan believed in re-incarnation so technically after 100 years someone might be the next Rammy-J. :--)
Reply 15
Original post by Zakee
Lol you don't understand. No Mathematician alive today is even 1% of Ramanujan. Btw Ramanujan believed in re-incarnation so technically after 100 years someone might be the next Rammy-J. :--)

[Indent]Perhaps he will be our offspring. :--)[/Indent]

Quick Reply

Latest