The Student Room Group

Anyone know good phrases/words to include in Of Mice & Men/ Animal Farm Eng Lit?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Social superiority
Reply 2
Original post by Conorburke
Social superiority

Thanks mate. What does it mean and where can you use it?
Reply 3
Original post by JAIYEKO
Thanks mate. What does it mean and where can you use it?

Hey sorry for late reply.
Well it is one's social standing like class and race etc It can be used when talking about Curly and his wife and how that is there upper hand. For example (presuming you have read the book) when Curly`s wife enters crook´s little house and they all immediately reject her leading to her insulting him through her superior social standing knowing that in 1930's America she is only one above the black man in society. Sorry for vague response I am tired and this is rushed. Hope I helped a little.
Reply 4
Also you could probably use it in character questions
Reply 5
Original post by Conorburke
Hey sorry for late reply.
Well it is one's social standing like class and race etc It can be used when talking about Curly and his wife and how that is there upper hand. For example (presuming you have read the book) when Curly`s wife enters crook´s little house and they all immediately reject her leading to her insulting him through her superior social standing knowing that in 1930's America she is only one above the black man in society. Sorry for vague response I am tired and this is rushed. Hope I helped a little.

Thanks mate, what are you revising for your exams?
microcosm, which mean exploring a big idea through a small thing. Steinbeck was exploring (for example) racism through Crooks. Racism is something big but crooks is small as he is just a character in a novella. So you could say: Steinbeck uses crooks as a microcosm by which exploring racism in the outlook of the society of the great depression.
Reply 7
Original post by Angelo12231
microcosm, which mean exploring a big idea through a small thing. Steinbeck was exploring (for example) racism through Crooks. Racism is something big but crooks is small as he is just a character in a novella. So you could say: Steinbeck uses crooks as a microcosm by which exploring racism in the outlook of the society of the great depression.

thank you indeed ! are you studying for your gcse's?
Original post by JAIYEKO
thank you indeed ! are you studying for your gcse's?

yes i am XD, although, i havent been revising particularily hard :frown: but i got 3 weeks left... need to get straight A's, WBU?
Reply 9
yes i am XD, although, i havent been revising particularily hard :frown: but i got 3 weeks left... need to get straight A's, WBU?

yeah i've got mine as well. I use mrbruff for revising. You heard of him?
Original post by JAIYEKO
yeah i've got mine as well. I use mrbruff for revising. You heard of him?

yes i've heard of him, yet i don't see how he helps... he just tells me stuff i already know but i never seem to get better using him :frown: i think i will get an A* in LIt though, what are you hoping for?
Reply 11
yes i've heard of him, yet i don't see how he helps... he just tells me stuff i already know but i never seem to get better using him :frown: i think i will get an A* in LIt though, what are you hoping for?

Yeah A*/A aswell. Is your exam board Edexcel or AQA?
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yeah A*/A aswell. Is your exam board Edexcel or AQA?

yeas or A... same difference to be honest lol and my exam board is AQA, you?
I did this exam two years ago with edexcel . Its the english literature exam thats worth 50% right ? Anyways, I got full UMS in that exam, and I really recommend you getting these books, they are really useful and have some really good phrases : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Letts-Explore-Animal-Farm-Guide/dp/1843153173 , http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mice-Letts-Explore-GCSE-Guides/dp/1843153122/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KW5ZF729R5E8VF8AFDQ , http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Farm-York-Notes-GCSE/dp/1408270021/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KW5ZF729R5E8VF8AFDQ , http://www.amazon.co.uk/Of-Mice-Men-York-Notes/dp/1408248808/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y
The Letts Revision guides were personally my favourite. Hope I've helped :smile:
Reply 14
yeas or A... same difference to be honest lol and my exam board is AQA, you?

Edexcel
Original post by JAIYEKO
Edexcel

easy?
Reply 16
easy?

yeah but we have to annotate poems which is quite boring. what about AQA?
Original post by JAIYEKO
yeah but we have to annotate poems which is quite boring. what about AQA?

yeah same wid AQA. But i don't anotate the whole poem with points that i wont even use... thats a waste of time. Instead, i make a very perceptive comment on each of the features of the poem including imagery, structure and language... just 1 point on each- a very good point. So u know exactly what to write on the exam and not have to choose between various un-perceptive points
Reply 18
yeah same wid AQA. But i don't anotate the whole poem with points that i wont even use... thats a waste of time. Instead, i make a very perceptive comment on each of the features of the poem including imagery, structure and language... just 1 point on each- a very good point. So u know exactly what to write on the exam and not have to choose between various un-perceptive points

Yeah that's quite good actually. What do you wish to study in college
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yeah that's quite good actually. What do you wish to study in college

Maths Chemistry Biology and psychology :biggrin: wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest