The Student Room Group

Decisions: English Lit, History or Maths A Level to go with Languages and Geography?

I am doing French, German and Geography and want a subject which keeps options open for the future and also is well respected.
I plan to do a language degree but I am not sure about afterwards, but I want to work in a business/corporate environment. Law is a possibility but I definitely want to work abroad.
Which could give me an edge over competition? Which may help make me more employable?
History is my best subject, English is my favourite but I find it difficult (I am still not bad), and in my opinion maths is the most useful but it is also one of my best subjects. These are all subjects I really enjoy, it's just that compared to the others English is my favourite
I want to keep a balance but also have a solid set of A-Levels that keep options open and are well respected- would English/History unbalance it?
I have been debating this for months, any help is hugely appreciated as I need to decide sooner rather than later
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kjames1000
I am doing French, German and Geography and want a subject which keeps options open for the future and also is well respected.
I plan to do a language degree but I am not sure about afterwards, but I want to work in a business/corporate environment. Law is a possibility but I definitely want to work abroad.
Which could give me an edge over competition? Which may help make me more employable?
History is my best subject, English is my favourite but I find it difficult (I am still not bad), and in my opinion maths is the most useful but it is also one of my best subjects,
I want to keep a balance but also have a solid set of A-Levels that keep options open and are well respected- would English/History unbalance it?
I have been debating this for months, any help is hugely appreciated as I need to decide sooner rather than later

History, English (Literature), and Maths are all top rated facilitating subjects. If History is your best, and you are happy doing it then go with that . AS grades are all important. You might want to also think about which you might drop at A2.

Is the "competition" at this stage for a place at Uni, or for three years beyond that? All three of those -Hist, Eng Lit Maths - are good subjects, but I truth a lot of people do them, so don't expect to stand out just because of that.
Reply 2
Original post by ooh-la-laa
History, English (Literature), and Maths are all top rated facilitating subjects. If History is your best, and you are happy doing it then go with that . AS grades are all important. You might want to also think about which you might drop at A2.

Is the "competition" at this stage for a place at Uni, or for three years beyond that? All three of those -Hist, Eng Lit Maths - are good subjects, but I truth a lot of people do them, so don't expect to stand out just because of that.

I meant to say competition when applying for jobs after a languages degree- which do you think is best respected or option-opening?
thanks for your response!:smile:
Reply 3
I'm studying AS Spanish as well as History, English Literature and Chemistry and I really enjoy both History and English Literature. I plan on doing a Spanish and History degree so obviously I'm a bit biased towards History but please listen to the advice of picking subjects you enjoy!!! If history is your best subject but you don't enjoy it as much as English, you'll find that you won't do as well because you're not willing to learn about it.
Both history and English are great for your languages, they really help with essay structure and obviously English widens your vocabulary further which can only benefit your French and German...

I never liked maths so taking it for A-level was never an option for me so I can't really help much with that option sorry haha! :smile:
Original post by kjames1000
I meant to say competition when applying for jobs after a languages degree- which do you think is best respected or option-opening?
thanks for your response!:smile:

I guess if you are fluent in a second / third language it opens up more multi-national opportunities, or ones where the employer definitely requires that second or third language. I certainly don't think you'd be disadvantaged in anyway. Best of luck with it / them
Reply 5
Yeah, I'd pick the subject you enjoy over the subject you're best at, because you'll have more motivation to revise and work for it, and also because it may not be your best subject at A-Level- I got my best GCSE mark for Spanish, and in my January mocks it was by far my worst subject. I do History and English lit, and I've enjoyed them both, but they're both very time consuming and take a lot of work, so pick the subject you enjoy the most, because it's awful having to put effort into things you find really boring.

Quick Reply