The Student Room Group

21 universities handing out too many 1sts/2:1s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XMaramena

But I find that "universities handing out too many 1sts" is a ridiculous title. If the student fulfilled the criteria for a 1st, they should get a 1st, simple as.

I think the issue is that the standard required for a 1st almost certainly isn't the same at all universities.
Original post by XMaramena
It would appear that London is having a particularly ****ty time.

How did you get that out of that? It's something of a luxury, and evidence of real confidence, to be able to say "**** the league tables, we're holding fast to standards".
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think the issue is that the standard required for a 1st almost certainly isn't the same at all universities.

that is perhaps an issue, and for you a bit of a hobby-horse, but it isn't the issue adverted to in the article.
Reply 23
Oxford... LOL

this does not surprise bear™

Cambridge do not hand out Firsts like Smarties.
Original post by cambio wechsel
that is perhaps an issue, and for you a bit of a hobby-horse, but it isn't the issue adverted to in the article.

It is exactly the issue in the article:

Prof Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said the latest study showed “that there’s no national degree standard”. “The degree awarded clearly depends very much on the university you attend,” he said. “Some universities are a lot more generous than others.”
Surely it's very much obvious that the degree awarded depends on the university. I mean, different universities offer different modules on their courses, some have more coursework and practical work compared to others, some put a much higher weighting on exams, some incorporate placements; the list goes on.

I don't see the problem with this, either.
Original post by Smack
Surely it's very much obvious that the degree awarded depends on the university. I mean, different universities offer different modules on their courses, some have more coursework and practical work compared to others, some put a much higher weighting on exams, some incorporate placements; the list goes on.

I don't see the problem with this, either.

The problem is twofold.

One, there are strict grade cutoffs for a number of jobs and postgraduate courses which disadvantage those who go to the harsher marking and more demanding universities. It seems significantly unfair to me that a KCL student has a higher chance of graduating with an unemployable degree grade simply because they chose to go to KCL rather than Warwick.

Two, it makes life very difficult for employers and postgraduate course administrators. I'm considering employing a computer scientist graduate a few months down the road, and I honestly have no clue whether I should be more impressed with an Oxford 2.1 or a Bath 1st (since I don't know the courses in detail). Because there is no conformity on difficulty level, content, or marking standards, I'm going to have to pretty much discount their grades completely in making my decision.

Now it's easy to say something like 'well you shouldn't look at grades anyway, you should look at their actual knowledge and experience in what you need', and this is true to some extent, but also impractical if there are large numbers of candidates (e.g. at a bank, where some guys see 100s of CVs for a single position). Besides, a lot of employers just want to recruit someone for their general intelligence rather than specific knowledge, so that they can train them up, and you can see it's exceptionally difficult to decide whether or not an Imperial 2.1 is indicative of more general intelligence than a Salford 1st.
Original post by ClickItBack
The problem is twofold.

One, there are strict grade cutoffs for a number of jobs and postgraduate courses which disadvantage those who go to the harsher marking and more demanding universities. It seems significantly unfair to me that a KCL student has a higher chance of graduating with an unemployable degree grade simply because they chose to go to KCL rather than Warwick.

I'm sure there is more to it than that. Perhaps Warwick accepts a higher standard of cohort, which would naturally be expected to obtain better results at university? I'm just throwing that out there, I don't know much about either university.

Two, it makes life very difficult for employers and postgraduate course administrators. I'm considering employing a computer scientist graduate a few months down the road, and I honestly have no clue whether I should be more impressed with an Oxford 2.1 or a Bath 1st (since I don't know the courses in detail). Because there is no conformity on difficulty level, content, or marking standards, I'm going to have to pretty much discount their grades completely in making my decision.

Now it's easy to say something like 'well you shouldn't look at grades anyway, you should look at their actual knowledge and experience in what you need', and this is true to some extent, but also impractical if there are large numbers of candidates (e.g. at a bank, where some guys see 100s of CVs for a single position). Besides, a lot of employers just want to recruit someone for their general intelligence rather than specific knowledge, so that they can train them up, and you can see it's exceptionally difficult to decide whether or not an Imperial 2.1 is indicative of more general intelligence than a Salford 1st.

Most employers that I have had dealings with have used a structured process to select graduates for jobs, which has included things like interviews, various psychometric tests, presentations, group tasks, technical tests, and probably a few other things too. I haven't heard the suggestion that employers are finding it difficult to select between a 1st from X university or a 2:1 from Y university outside of TSR, nor that it is even a concern.
Seems like quite a cross-section of universities, I don't really think there's much in it tbh. They all have external examiners (I would assume), who deal with several institutions at once for this exact reason. Of course it can be flawed, but name one system that isn't.

I know that at the university I attend there are two ways of classifying people's degrees; one which takes 25% from second year and 75% from third year, and you need to achieve 40/50/60/70% to get the relevant degree classifications, however an alternative method takes everything from third year and there is a bit more leeway where if you get 38/48/58/68% plus a certain number of modules at the degree classification awarded standard they choose the method that benefits the student the most. Perhaps this may have some influence over a slightly higher rate of 2.1s and firsts than other institutions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Smack
I'm sure there is more to it than that. Perhaps Warwick accepts a higher standard of cohort, which would naturally be expected to obtain better results at university? I'm just throwing that out there, I don't know much about either university.

The whole point of this study is that it controls for that.

"Figures showed 21 institutions awarded more good degrees than would be expected based on a number of factors such as students’ social background, previous school, prior qualifications and the university's entry standards."

Most employers that I have had dealings with have used a structured process to select graduates for jobs, which has included things like interviews, various psychometric tests, presentations, group tasks, technical tests, and probably a few other things too. I haven't heard the suggestion that employers are finding it difficult to select between a 1st from X university or a 2:1 from Y university outside of TSR, nor that it is even a concern.

Ah yes, a 'structured process'. Do you know what that actually translates into? I can only speak for investment banking/hedge funds/prop trading firms, but it basically means that if you're not from one of a select few universities, you're automatically not even considered. You can be the top graduate in your year from Dundee or Bangor uni, and you won't ever make it to an interview or any of those other assessments you mentioned. This is precisely due to banks not being able to compare the top graduate from Dundee with a 2.1 from LSE, so they introduce a cutoff line of unis with generally good entry standards and 'prestige', and mass-reject anyone outside that selection. Does that sound fair, or optimal for either employer or graduate?

Also, what of those employers who aren't able to go through the expenses of full fledged assessment days? Ask any small/medium sized business owner looking to hire someone for technical work and they'll tell you it's very difficult to determine how good someone actually is. Better conformity of degree standards wouldn't alleviate this completely, but it would certainly help.
Reply 30
The whole point of this study is that it controls for that.

"Figures showed 21 institutions awarded more good degrees than would be expected based on a number of factors such as students’ social background, previous school, prior qualifications and the university's entry standards."

Ah yes, a 'structured process'. Do you know what that actually translates into? I can only speak for investment banking/hedge funds/prop trading firms, but it basically means that if you're not from one of a select few universities, you're automatically not even considered. You can be the top graduate in your year from Dundee or Bangor uni, and you won't ever make it to an interview or any of those other assessments you mentioned. This is precisely due to banks not being able to compare the top graduate from Dundee with a 2.1 from LSE, so they introduce a cutoff line of unis with generally good entry standards and 'prestige', and mass-reject anyone outside that selection. Does that sound fair, or optimal for either employer or graduate?

Also, what of those employers who aren't able to go through the expenses of full fledged assessment days? Ask any small/medium sized business owner looking to hire someone for technical work and they'll tell you it's very difficult to determine how good someone actually is. Better conformity of degree standards wouldn't alleviate this completely, but it would certainly help.

which is what sort of proportion of graduate employment in the UK?

for technical work they'd rather hire someone with experience than a graduate - the awful truth is that fresh graduates are pretty blooming useless - even if they went to oxbridge. Any boss with half a brain can ask technical questions at interview. assessment centres are a backside covering excercise designed to dilute the responsibility for making a bad hire.

no employer cares whether or not oxbridge art history graduates know 15% more art history than graduates of leeds trinity.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
It is exactly the issue in the article:

Prof Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said the latest study showed “that there’s no national degree standard”. “The degree awarded clearly depends very much on the university you attend,” he said. “Some universities are a lot more generous than others.”

that's a matter of fact, but it always has been and seems unrelated to what's going on here.

Because the article isn't about inter-unversity circumstance but intra-university circumstance: named universities have been more generous than they themselves have been in the past, is what has led to the concern about grade inflation. Oxford surprised the surveymakers by suggesting the class of 2010-13 as appreciably more able on the average than the (Oxford) class of 2008-11, without anything quantifiably true of the cohort that could obviously account for a statistically significant difference in ultimate outcomes.

I don't know what the Buckingham fella wants. I suppose that perhaps only 1/100 students graduating from Buckingham will do so with a performance such that it can confidenty be claimed the performance would have gotten her a first even at Oxford. Does he want then that his university be able to award firsts only on that map-across basis? It'd mean as well that Cambridge will never award a 2.2 "would've been at least a 2.1 at Staffordshire..."

More sensible (perhaps) would be to allow all universities to award only the same fixed proportion of degrees in each class. But this is fraught with its own problems.

Well, investment banking recruits such a small percentage of the years' graduates that I don't think we can justify reworking the education system to make it easier for their recruitment processes. I think that the Dundee and Bangor students would, quite rightly, be annoyed if their degree standards had to change to suit investment banks, especially when very few, if any, of them will even be interested in such careers.

Other sectors manage fine, if investment banks struggle currently then I am afraid they will have to come up with their own solution.

Having been interviewed by a few SMEs myself for technical work, I did not hear this concern. It certainly isn't beyond the ability of an SME to at least have a double interview (i.e. one technical and another personal).
Original post by Joinedup
which is what sort of proportion of graduate employment in the UK?

for technical work they'd rather hire someone with experience than a graduate - the awful truth is that fresh graduates are pretty blooming useless - even if they went to oxbridge. Any boss with half a brain can ask technical questions at interview. assessment centres are a backside covering excercise designed to dilute the responsibility for making a bad hire.

no employer cares whether or not oxbridge art history graduates know 15% more art history than graduates of leeds trinity.

Original post by Smack
Well, investment banking recruits such a small percentage of the years' graduates that I don't think we can justify reworking the education system to make it easier for their recruitment processes. I think that the Dundee and Bangor students would, quite rightly, be annoyed if their degree standards had to change to suit investment banks, especially when very few, if any, of them will even be interested in such careers.

Other sectors manage fine, if investment banks struggle currently then I am afraid they will have to come up with their own solution.

Having been interviewed by a few SMEs myself for technical work, I did not hear this concern. It certainly isn't beyond the ability of an SME to at least have a double interview (i.e. one technical and another personal).

I don't think it's a completely inconsequential number. I wouldn't be surprised if the sector as a whole is one of the bigger recruiters of grads.

Why would Dundee/Bangor students be annoyed about their degrees changing so that they could apply to a wider variety of jobs? It's a little presumptuous to suppose that none of them want to work in finance. On the contrary, back when I used to frequent the IB&C board on this forum there were a plethora of wannabe bankers from 'lower-ranking' unis. In my time working in the industry, though, I've not met a single person from a university outside the usual suspects (unless they're 35+ years old).

Also, I said I can't speak for any other industry, but I do know roughly the same happens for consultancy. I'm less sure about law, accountancy, etc but I rather doubt that Salford grads get many interviews at magic circle firms even with stellar academics (if I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me).

Fair enough on the SMEs and pointing out that grads are not necessarily going to be lapped up for technical knowledge. The firms I've spoken to have expressed a different opinion, but I'll accept that not all SMEs necessarily have the same difficulty.

What about my first point re: KCL student much more likely to get an unemployable degree class simply because they chose to go to KCL rather than Warwick?
I don't think it's a completely inconsequential number. I wouldn't be surprised if the sector as a whole is one of the bigger recruiters of grads.

If it was, then surely graduates from a much wider range of universities would be represented.

Why would Dundee/Bangor students be annoyed about their degrees changing so that they could apply to a wider variety of jobs? It's a little presumptuous to suppose that none of them want to work in finance.

I'm not. I'm assuming that a negligible amount of them want to work in investment banking, not finance as a whole. Finance is a big area, and a Dundee or Bangor degree certainly doesn't disqualify one from working in "finance".

What about my first point re: KCL student much more likely to get an unemployable degree class simply because they chose to go to KCL rather than Warwick?

Your point is null because a 2:2 isn't unemployable.
Original post by Smack
If it was, then surely graduates from a much wider range of universities would be represented.

. . . Or they hire loads of people from a small number of unis.

I'm not. I'm assuming that a negligible amount of them want to work in investment banking, not finance as a whole. Finance is a big area, and a Dundee or Bangor degree certainly doesn't disqualify one from working in "finance".

By finance I was referring to banking.

Your point is null because a 2:2 isn't unemployable.

Sigh. Significantly less employable then. And 3rds/fails exist too.

It's fair enough to say that in your opinion employers don't have a tough time with the current system. I disagree, but it's a reasonable position.

But you're just being obstinate for the sake of obstinacy with these other trivial points.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Because the article isn't about inter-unversity circumstance but intra-university circumstance: named universities have been more generous than they themselves have been in the past, is what has led to the concern about grade inflation. Oxford surprised the surveymakers by suggesting the class of 2010-13 as appreciably more able on the average than the (Oxford) class of 2008-11, without anything quantifiably true of the cohort that could obviously account for a statistically significant difference in ultimate outcomes.

If you look at the survey I don't think you are right about this.

They are only looking at students who entered university in 2007/8.

What they are saying is that given particular entry grades, certain universities got more or less firsts and 2:1s than they "rightfully" should.

The conclusion makes two assumptions both of which are unlikely to be true.

The first is that A level results are an entirely accurate map of academic ability. There is no way to improve the quality of your intake by selecting amongst students of the same examination results. Oxford's higher number of firsts or 2:1 isn't the product of the enormously expensive and laborious admissions process.

The second is that universities do not add value. Oxford's results aren't better than other universities because of 1:2 tuition, better academics, high proportion on on-site housing, low proportion of students with part-time jobs, libraries and other facilities.

The study has some other dodgy conclusions.

It finds:

Students with better A-levels do better in higher education

There is a relationship between a student’s level of attainment at A-level relative to the average of the school and his or her potential for success at degree level

Degree outcomes are not affected by the average performance of the school that a student attended

The first of these conclusions cannot stand with the second and third.

The good pupil at a poor school is still likely to have lower grades than the poor pupil at a good school.

If we take Toffee-Nosed School and Bog Standard Comp.

Toffee-Nosed has an average UCAS points score from best three A levels of 340.
Bog Standard has an average UCAS points score from best three A levels of 260.

Pupil A from Toffee-Nosed gets results which are average for Toffee-Nosed (ie AAB)
Pupil B from Bog Standard gets results that are 10% higher than average for that school. Now whether or not you define 10% higher as 286 or the score that the 40th percentile candidate achieves; it isn't likely to be higher than 340 on a normal distribution.

The second and third conclusions say candidate B will do better on his degree. The first conclusion says candidate A will do so.

I haven't put forward a fluke result. The conclusions are fundamentally contradictory and a better mathematician than I could produce a proof of it.

It looks as though the raw data used for each conclusion is slightly different and they are throwing up conflicting results. The key thing is that HEFCE haven't seen the contradiction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending