The Student Room Group

21 universities handing out too many 1sts/2:1s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10773289/Number-of-top-degrees-higher-than-expected-at-Oxford.html

A HEFCE report suggests that 21 universities award more 1sts or 2:1s than would be expected based on a number of explanatory factors about the students (entry grades, previous school, prior qualifications, social background etc).

Universities seemingly awarding higher than anticipated numbers of good degrees included: Oxford, Exeter, Warwick, Newcastle, Liverpool, Brunel, Lancaster, Liverpool Hope, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes and Sheffield Hallam.

Another 18 institutions awarded fewer top degrees than expected, including Bath, Imperial College London, King’s College London, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, University of London.

Prof Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said the latest study showed “that there’s no national degree standard”.
“The degree awarded clearly depends very much on the university you attend,” he said. “Some universities are a lot more generous than others.”
He said league tables that rank institutions on a series of measures including the proportion of good degrees had “driven degree grade inflation in recent years”.

Scroll to see replies

Hard to draw much from this. Could be down to differences in assessment standards, differences in quality of education, or (likely) a mix of the two.
To universities it's always better to be a little more generous. It suggests that they teach well (so they achieve better than they should have), and gives the graduates an edge in the job market.
Reply 3
Warwick get innnnnnnnnn
League-tables increase competition but not in the manner one would hope, instead of any actual improvement what you get is manipulation of statistics.
Not surprised. When computer science at Bath awards 85% 2.1s and above and at Cambridge it's 60%, it's clear that degree standardisation is a joke. It's past due that the government sorted this out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Come on Imperial, be a bit more kind if I end up at you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 4 stalin lyfe
League-tables increase competition but not in the manner one would hope, instead of any actual improvement what you get is manipulation of statistics.

But the free market fixes everything!
Reply 8
I presume it's this HEFCE report...

https://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/year/2014/201403/name,86821,en.html

if so another finding caught my eye...

10. Students classifying themselves as White consistently achieve higher degree outcomes than students recording other ethnicities. This confirms findings from previous HEFCE studies...

which under TSR logic clearly means that whatever else you do, you should always tick the 'white' box on the ethnic monitoring form to improve your chances.
I think the only real way to sort this out with any fairness would be centralised exams and grading. But that's very unlikely to ever happen.
I find it ridiculous that degrees like History have 90% of students getting 2.1s while its more like 35% for Physics.
Original post by Classical Liberal
I find it ridiculous that degrees like History have 90% of students getting 2.1s while its more like 35% for Physics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9870194/How-to-get-a-first-class-degree.html STEM subjects have a higher amount of people with firsts though.
35% for Physics.

Sush! If I manage a 2:1 it will make me look better :tongue:
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think the only real way to sort this out with any fairness would be centralised exams and grading. But that's very unlikely to ever happen.

You don't need to do that and I don't think it would be a good thing. What you need is organisations like the Instittute of Physics which accredit courses that they deem have reached a certain standard.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You don't need to do that and I don't think it would be a good thing. What you need is organisations like the Instittute of Physics which accredit courses that they deem have reached a certain standard.

Accreditation that a course reaches a certain standard definitely doesn't mean that it's equally difficult to get certain classifications at different universities.

Physics also gets many more firsts, however...
Original post by RumpeIstiltskin

More important to get a 2.1 instead of 2.2, than a first instead of a 2.1. The system isn't fair for STEM subjects because so many employers require 2.1s, which everybody and their dog gets in History, while only 60% or so get 2.1s or better in STEM subjects.
Why does this even matter?
Maybe but I imagine the vast majority of jobs STEM graduates apply for wouldn't be applied for by a history graduate so it's not really a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagicNMedicine
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10773289/Number-of-top-degrees-higher-than-expected-at-Oxford.html

A HEFCE report suggests that 21 universities award more 1sts or 2:1s than would be expected based on a number of explanatory factors about the students (entry grades, previous school, prior qualifications, social background etc).

Universities seemingly awarding higher than anticipated numbers of good degrees included: Oxford, Exeter, Warwick, Newcastle, Liverpool, Brunel, Lancaster, Liverpool Hope, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes and Sheffield Hallam.

Another 18 institutions awarded fewer top degrees than expected, including Bath, Imperial College London, King’s College London, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, University of London.

It would appear that London is having a particularly ****ty time.

But I find that "universities handing out too many 1sts" is a ridiculous title. If the student fulfilled the criteria for a 1st, they should get a 1st, simple as.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending