The Student Room Group

Could you tell me what I should be doing with uni?

Hi, i'm in year 12 at the moment and next year for year 13 I will be going to a London college to continue my A2's.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me now what I should be doing in regards to university? Should I be writing a personal statement over summer, should I be trying to find a uni over summer (what else?). Also, i'm going to be in a new environment by september 2014 so that means new teachers will have to write my reference... hopefully they'll still have something to write about but incase it's not that good is a reference really that important when applying?
Reply 1
Original post by Xscape
Hi, i'm in year 12 at the moment and next year for year 13 I will be going to a London college to continue my A2's.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me now what I should be doing in regards to university? Should I be writing a personal statement over summer, should I be trying to find a uni over summer (what else?). Also, i'm going to be in a new environment by september 2014 so that means new teachers will have to write my reference... hopefully they'll still have something to write about but incase it's not that good is a reference really that important when applying?

Most people just plan out their PS / write a first draft of their PS before summer, because no one really focuses that much of A2 subjects. I would probably say try get majority of the PS planned out, since the beginning of Y13, your gonna be focusing a bit more on your subjects. You probably should get a rough idea on a handful of universities which you want to research further into. Perhaps look into open days if the dates available are convenient.

References are fairly important to an extent, but to be honest, most teachers tend to write quite generic stuff such as 'Hes a good independent worker that can gets on the with work that is set blah blah'. I even remember my teacher including stuff which i swear i never done before :s-smilie:. PS > reference.
Reply 2
Oh & FYI. Try get a good quality draft done before you return to school, so you can get a good review on the TSR Personal statement review.

The queues are stupid during september.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending