The Student Room Group

What medical school should I apply to?

I have yet to finish my GCSE course, but my expected grades are all A and A*. However all of my teachers are certian that I am able to get mostly A* (jeez pressure).

I know that for A Level I want to study Chemistry, Biology and Physics and Maths. Not sure which one for AS yet.

I understand that I will need to take a BMAT and UKCAT depending on which universities I will apply for.

How many universities can you apply for in one year?

Also, which university, in your opinion, is better; Cambridge, Newcastle or Oxford. In terms of their medical schools.

Also when would it be an ideal time to take BMAT or UKCAT tests, considering the fact that I am in year 10 and hope to go to University after Year 13.

Even going to a private school, I still have practically no idea of the whole process.

Also, what sort of volunteering do you suggest I take? Right now I am volunteering at a Foodbank as part of my DofE and also hopefully starting to volunteer at a Youth Club for Disabled Kids. I heard about a pre-medicine programme in Tanzinia, where you would shadow a hospital. Do you think I should do it, the only thing stopping me is my parents; they think Tanzinia is a dangerous place, how would I convince them otherwise? Should I get them to speakto the teacher in charge of this? Also do you think it would be vauable to my medical future if I do? In correlation to uni applications etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nylibra
I have yet to finish my GCSE course, but my expected grades are all A and A*. However all of my teachers are certian that I am able to get mostly A* (jeez pressure).

I know that for A Level I want to study Chemistry, Biology and Physics and Maths. Not sure which one for AS yet.

I understand that I will need to take a BMAT and UKCAT depending on which universities I will apply for.

You can apply to 4. :smile:

Also, which university, in your opinion, is better; Cambridge, Newcastle or Oxford. In terms of their medical schools.

That depends purely on how you want to be taught. Every medical school in the UK is a good medical school, and none are objectively "better" than the other. Each provides different opportunities; teaches differently; has different course structures. It's up to you to decide what sort of thing you want. Do you want a traditional course where you'll be getting lots of science lectures for 3 years before doing clinical medicine? Would you want to do lots of essays? Would you like to do PBL? Or have an integrated curriculum where clinical skills and teaching is blended together with the pre-clinical teaching?

Also when would it be an ideal time to take BMAT or UKCAT tests, considering the fact that I am in year 10 and hope to go to University after Year 13.

BMAT in the November after you apply, UKCAT at the end of the Summer before you apply. You can do UKCAT whenever's convenient for you (after June and before October). I did mine in September, but a lot of people opt for July-August.

We have lots of info pre-prepared for you! Go look through it!
Reply 2
You got 4 medical schools and they are pretty much all equal. A medical degree from Oxford is just as good as one from Cambirdge and one from Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle and whatever. The qualification has to be approved by a board, so the variations between what you learn between Uni's is going to extremely minute.

Hence, with medicine it may be worthy to look at places which you will enjoy living. Some people may deteste the idea of London, whilst others pick all their uni's there.

That medical programme you have applied certainly does sound very interesting and will definitely make you stand out from students who only have WE from your typical care home, nurserys etc. Just ask your parents to arrange a brief meeting with your coordinator, since they are obviously going to be worried. They're your parents!
Original post by nylibra

Even going to a private school, I still have practically no idea of the whole process.

Also, what sort of volunteering do you suggest I take? Right now I am volunteering at a Foodbank as part of my DofE and also hopefully starting to volunteer at a Youth Club for Disabled Kids. I heard about a pre-medicine programme in Tanzinia, where you would shadow a hospital. Do you think I should do it, the only thing stopping me is my parents; they think Tanzinia is a dangerous place, how would I convince them otherwise? Should I get them to speakto the teacher in charge of this? Also do you think it would be vauable to my medical future if I do? In correlation to uni applications etc.

Avoid Newcastle, medics can get no studying done, for some reason they out all the Agric's together and it is hell in halls!
Reply 4
Original post by nylibra

Other people have already answered the questions about the academic aspects etc so I'll leave those. You are already doing the right things in terms of volunteering, though as we always tell applicants, it's not just what you've done, but how you reflect on it in your PS that matters. As for this Tanzania thing, there are lots of similar programmes which charge you a lot of money to go to a developing country and volunteer for a few weeks. Usually they are well-supervised, especially if they're taking youngish teenagers out there, so I doubt it would be particularly unsafe. Most people who have been have a great time and do use it for their medical application BUT it is by no means essential, and doing a good range of volunteering and shadowing in the UK is just as valuable.

You need to think about work experience as well as volunteering, though you may be a bit young for it at the moment. Ideally you want some experience in a hospital and some in a GP setting, that you can reflect on, compare and contrast etc in your PS. It's not always possible to get both, but the earlier you start trying, the better!
Reply 5
Original post by Ernest Hemingway
Avoid Newcastle, medics can get no studying done, for some reason they out all the Agric's together and it is hell in halls!

Really? I don't know whether to firm Newcastle or Sheffield.
Original post by Gibber96
Really? I don't know whether to firm Newcastle or Sheffield.

Lol, ignore him he's joking. Newcastle has a higher percentage of rahs than average, and halls can get a bit rowdy but it won't affect you as a medical student. If you're particularly worried about noise in your first year just avoid Ricky Road as an accommodation. The rest are OK.
Reply 7
Original post by hoonosewot
Lol, ignore him he's joking. Newcastle has a higher percentage of rahs than average, and halls can get a bit rowdy but it won't affect you as a medical student. If you're particularly worried about noise in your first year just avoid Ricky Road as an accommodation. The rest are OK.

I thought he was :tongue: I was actually thinking about Ricky Road. I'm pretty outgoing and I reckon I could still get some work done, and the location is so convenient. Cheap as piss too.
Reply 8
I thought he was :tongue: I was actually thinking about Ricky Road. I'm pretty outgoing and I reckon I could still get some work done, and the location is so convenient. Cheap as piss too.

If you're OK at balancing study and your social life you'll be fine (even people that aren't tend to get kicked into it). It's literally across the road from the medical school (and the computer cluster on the ground floor, venture a bit deeper and it's the library) so you can always go across there if you can't study in the halls. That said, I don't know anybody that studies so late at night that they're being interrupted by pre-drinks...

e:

Original post by Ernest Hemingway

For getting no studying done, we do well for ourselves then!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by nylibra

Unless you want to spend £1000's to be a voluntourist then go to Tanzania. It would probably be much more beneficial to volunteer in your home country. It would be much easier to stay in your home country, cheaper and safer and probably be much more local too rather than an 11 hour flight. It's quite easy to get work experience if you apply early (which I have done) and it seems to have worked out well.

I was in ricky road during first year and would have it no other way! It's an awesome place to be if you're reasonably outgoing. The position is also fantastic (right next to the medical school and therefore library if you need to knuckle down and work). The guy chatting rubbish about Newcastle seems to be going around all the medicine threads trying to put people off. Being in ricky road hasn't hindered me one little bit (currently fourth year). In fact i'd go as far as to recommend it if you don't mind living in prison like accommodation as the sense of community is great to have as someone moving away from home for the first time

Ricky Road is great fun if you're willing to slum it a bit and have some self discipline so you know when you need to chill and work. It's easily the rowdiest and most fun accommodation, everyone i know that stayed there in freshers loved it.
Reply 12
Original post by Beska
If you're OK at balancing study and your social life you'll be fine (even people that aren't tend to get kicked into it). It's literally across the road from the medical school (and the computer cluster on the ground floor, venture a bit deeper and it's the library) so you can always go across there if you can't study in the halls. That said, I don't know anybody that studies so late at night that they're being interrupted by pre-drinks...

Original post by plrodham1
I was in ricky road during first year and would have it no other way! It's an awesome place to be if you're reasonably outgoing. The position is also fantastic (right next to the medical school and therefore library if you need to knuckle down and work). The guy chatting rubbish about Newcastle seems to be going around all the medicine threads trying to put people off. Being in ricky road hasn't hindered me one little bit (currently fourth year). In fact i'd go as far as to recommend it if you don't mind living in prison like accommodation as the sense of community is great to have as someone moving away from home for the first time

Original post by hoonosewot
Ricky Road is great fun if you're willing to slum it a bit and have some self discipline so you know when you need to chill and work. It's easily the rowdiest and most fun accommodation, everyone i know that stayed there in freshers loved it.

Cheers guys, that basically seals it for me. I don't really mind how grim it looks, and I'm not fussed about an ensuite or any of that. It seems like plenty of medics manage just fine at Ricky Road, and you can literally just roll out of bed into the medical school from what I've seen. Right near the sports hall too.
Reply 13
Original post by GoldGhost
Unless you want to spend £1000's to be a voluntourist then go to Tanzania. It would probably be much more beneficial to volunteer in your home country. It would be much easier to stay in your home country, cheaper and safer and probably be much more local too rather than an 11 hour flight. It's quite easy to get work experience if you apply early (which I have done) and it seems to have worked out well.

It only costs £600 for a week, so the money for me is not a real issue.

What did you do to get work experience in a hospital? At my school we only start applying for work experience in Year 11, but I wanted to enquire earlier so I have a better chance; like you said.
Reply 14
Original post by nylibra
It only costs £600 for a week, so the money for me is not a real issue.

What did you do to get work experience in a hospital? At my school we only start applying for work experience in Year 11, but I wanted to enquire earlier so I have a better chance; like you said.

If you have the money then go for it, it'll be great and definitely benefit you. However don't think it'll make you stand out above other candidates, work exp is just as valuable in the UK and you could even argue more valuable. I say that because after med school you will be working on the nhs and the vast majority of uk medics end up working in the uk for their whole life, so having experience in the uk is valuable as obviously doctors work a bit different than in Tanzania.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Nick214
If you have the money then go for it, it'll be great and definitely benefit you. However don't think it'll make you stand out above other candidates, work exp is just as valuable in the UK and you could even argue more valuable. I say that because after med school you will be working on the nhs and the vast majority of uk medics end up working in the uk for their whole life, so having experience in the uk is valuable as obviously doctors work a bit different than in Tanzania.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that, it was really insightful because I didn't think of it in that way and it makes sense. I guess I'll just save my money and go on a trip to New York instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending