The Student Room Group

Tips for getting into fashion buying/merchandising?

Hi guys

I am currently at university and I am considering going into fashion marketing and PR, or fashion buying and merchandising.

What tips would you give for going into this field? I already have experience in working in fashion retail.

What skills are required for this job?
Reply 1
A marketing background and a keen follower of fashion is a good place to start, ideally your fashion knowledge needs to not only encompass that of the company you'd hope to work with but their competitors, basically you need to take a fashion based degree in order to gain the solid grounding you need.
Original post by tehFrance
A marketing background and a keen follower of fashion is a good place to start, ideally your fashion knowledge needs to not only encompass that of the company you'd hope to work with but their competitors, basically you need to take a fashion based degree in order to gain the solid grounding you need.

I am not studying for a fashion degree.

I am a keen follower of fashion but I don't have experience in marketing, though I have experience working in fashion retail.
Original post by kittykatxoxo
I am not studying for a fashion degree.

I am a keen follower of fashion but I don't have experience in marketing, though I have experience working in fashion retail.

Right, you may want to look into one as while it's not required, it'll help.

Fashion retail as being a sales assistant within a fashion store? That won't help you, you need proper experience within the fashion industry or marketing in general should you go down that route rather than fashion buyer which won't require a marketing background. You need behind the scenes experience not what would appear to be sales experience on a shop floor.
Right, you may want to look into one as while it's not required, it'll help.

Fashion retail as being a sales assistant within a fashion store? That won't help you, you need proper experience within the fashion industry or marketing in general should you go down that route rather than fashion buyer which won't require a marketing background. You need behind the scenes experience not what would appear to be sales experience on a shop floor.

Ok.

At the moment I am studying a degree in Politics and Sociology.

I am more interested in knowing what I have to do to become a fashion buyer/merchandiser? What do you suggest?
Ok.

At the moment I am studying a degree in Politics and Sociology.

I am more interested in knowing what I have to do to become a fashion buyer/merchandiser? What do you suggest?

Is there any chance of an internship as that'd be your best bet.
You could try Next? http://careers.next.co.uk/trainees/roles.aspx#link=tmb

I know they do trainee buyer and merch careers, as well as placement roles. Not sure if you'd get a placement role as they usually go to universities. One way to get started is to try getting some experience within the industry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there any chance of an internship as that'd be your best bet.

I'd like to do an internship, but most internships are unpaid and I cannot afford to do that.
Original post by Antitoxin
You could try Next? http://careers.next.co.uk/trainees/roles.aspx#link=tmb

I know they do trainee buyer and merch careers, as well as placement roles. Not sure if you'd get a placement role as they usually go to universities. One way to get started is to try getting some experience within the industry.

I'm at university.

Ok I will look into Next. Thanks.
I'm at university.

Ok I will look into Next. Thanks.

I mean people at Uni specifically doing fashion courses.
The website http://www.fashionworkie.com/ may also help
Original post by Antitoxin
The website http://www.fashionworkie.com/ may also help

Ok thanks.
Kitty kat the junior buyer level is buyers' admin assistant which is really more a trainee buyer- that will be your entry role into buying. Sorry but I don't think you have much of a chance unless you do either an internship or a course (some buying internships are paid), and uni of arts London and fashion retail academy have good courses). From a fashion pr, good luck :smile:
I am studying fashion merchandising and have been offered both a sales merchandising opportunity for a vendor as well as a supervisor role at a major department store that directs the behind the scenes movement of inventory placement. I want to end up in a buying role once I graduate but fear to make the wrong decision to impact my career. While a sales merchandiser is an attractive title, It is still 80% sales with some directives in merchandising. On the other hand supervisor experience in a department store seems like a good opportunity to enhance my resume and the role technically relates to merchandising but I don't know if future employers will recognize that.
You can join PR if you have good marketing skills. It would be great to have marketing done as it will help you to mix it up with your retail skills as well.
where did you study?

Quick Reply

Latest