The Student Room Group

KPMG School Leaver's Questions!

I'm hoping to apply for the programme for 2015 entry but I'm worried about a couple of things:

I'm not studying business/accounting AS/A Level - some people have said this is fine but I'm concerned that this will make it much harder to be accepted onto the programme. I got 8 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE and I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography AS Level (dropping geography next year). My predicted grades are all A's and B's for this year and all A's for next year. I've done a basic accounting course outside of school but as it's not an actual qualification will they even consider me?

I know that you are supposed to choose the office closer to your home and then move back home when you're not at uni but I was wondering if there are people who rent instead of moving back home? I'm one of 6 children and would really prefer to not have to move back home and then commute to the office every day (would take ~35 minutes and cost a lot). Is renting a good idea and if you do know anybody on the programme, do many people do this?

Although I know that I would like to go into accounting in the future - is there room on this programme for further studies after getting the degree and accounting qualifications? Say I wanted to study for a PHD in the years after finishing the degree - do many people do this?

I'm pretty sure I've read on the forums that they put the KPMG students into accommodation together - does this affect your social life at all as you don't mix with others as much? I'm also worried that leaving uni every couple of months could have an affect too - in second year most students rent in the surrounding area or stay in second year accommodation and I feel that if I'm not in uni for a good portion of the year that I could not make as many friends and mix as well as I would if I was to be there all year?

Although the pros of this programme definitely outweigh the cons - my other option I'm considering is a joint maths/accounting degree and then possibly applying for the graduate programme with KPMG or another firm or carrying on with further studies and studying for the accounting qualifications through another firm. Is it worth applying for the KPMG school leaver's programme while I'm 18 or would I be better waiting until I'm in my mid 20's when I will know for sure it's what I want to do and I'll have more qualifications that are needed?

Thank you!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending