The Student Room Group

memorization in engineering

hello!

at school I was very good at maths, physics, chemistry and generally in problem solving

after school, I studied medicine but realizing the amount of information and detail that I had to memorize was something dreadful

my memory is not weak, but having to memorize too much information panics me

now, after quiting medicine I am thinking of becoming engineer, hoping that I won't face the problems I had in medicine

is this true?

thanks!
Quite a lot to remember in engineering too...

Memory is a key part of intelligence.
Reply 2
At least in mechanical engineering, I find there are lots of little facts (and some big ones) to learn along the way.

I would say I know a little bit about a lot of things, so it's not always possible to construct mental rules on how to remember it. There are plenty of opportunities to just know one particular method and apply it to many different problems, but there are also a lot of unique circumstances too. Particular components must be manufactured in certain ways and there are devices and designs unique to certain industries for similar parts.

So I could tell you a little bit about dozens of production methods and a bunch of material properties, but I don't know any "one" inside and out. But that said, I find it easy to pick up and it's one of those topics where I find you can pick up little bits along the way. You can know the basics and the mathematics relatively easily, but the specifics and interesting stuff can be read online and in technology magazines. It's more of a bonus going into a situation and having an idea of how other people manufacture or design a component - It saves on guess work.
OMG is medicine that bad? I am actually considering it.
Reply 4
Original post by missuniverse23
OMG is medicine that bad? I am actually considering it.

at least that's what it seemed to me

I hated to memorize whole lists of symptoms or names of drugs etc

just give me a problem to solve
Original post by studos
at least that's what it seemed to me

I hated to memorize whole lists of symptoms or names of drugs etc

just give me a problem to solve

What specific doctor did you consider? I am thinking more on gynecologist or something along those lines
Reply 6
Original post by missuniverse23
What specific doctor did you consider? I am thinking more on gynecologist or something along those lines

many, I was thinking dermatology or ophthalmology or orthopedics or pathology or cardiology
Those Are some really good ones! Medicine I believe is for people who like stress n challenge....which sadly I kind of do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending