The Student Room Group

Taking professional exams during FY1?

I'm very keen on paediatrics and think it is almost certain I will apply for the specialty in FY2 (I'm going into FY1 this year).

Unfortunately I don't have a paeds rotation in FY1 and my FY2 is as yet undecided.

I've previously been advised that it is useful to sit the MRCPCH part 1 before specialty applications, as it shows commitment and basic ability (although I have looked at the applicant guidance / specifications etc and sitting the exams early isn't mentioned). The part 1 is a multichoice written exam. A pass does last 7 years, so if nothing else (if I passed) I would save myself effort later on.

At my medical school paeds is a final year rotation, and we also do a final placement after exams/before FY1 and I've arranged this in paediatrics.

Hence (given the fixed dates of the exam), I think I'd be better sitting the exam sooner - about 2 months into my first FY1 rotation.

I have a few questions, if anyone can help:

- Is the idea of sitting a professional exam during foundation misguided?

- If passing the exam will look good, what happens if I fail it (hopefully not!)?

- Is trying to sit a membership exam halfway through my first foundation job (which will probably be a stressful adjustment) likely to be doable? Has anyone here done this and how did they find it? I would have a chance to revise during the summer before starting, which won't be a possibility if I leave it later.

- Will I even be able to get leave to attend the exam (or even better to revise before it as well)? I understand that FY1s don't get study leave but can annual leave be arranged?

- Would I just be better off hoping for a paediatric rotation in FY2 and sitting the exam then, even if I miss the boat for specialty application?

Reply 1
Original post by BeanofJelly

I have a few questions, if anyone can help:

- Is the idea of sitting a professional exam during foundation misguided?
No, I don't think so. I know of plenty of budding surgeons who did at least part of MRCS in FY1/2 and similar numbers who started MRCP in FY2.

- If passing the exam will look good, what happens if I fail it (hopefully not!)? I don't think you have to declare it on your application, though if you subsequently pass it you may have to tell them that it was not passed on the first attempt (this makes a difference in anaesthetics, don't know about other specialties)

- Is trying to sit a membership exam halfway through my first foundation job (which will probably be a stressful adjustment) likely to be doable? Has anyone here done this and how did they find it? I would have a chance to revise during the summer before starting, which won't be a possibility if I leave it later. I don't know anyone who took it so early. To be honest, I would advise enjoying your last summer of freedom and allowing yourself time to get your head around being a doctor - it is very different and more stressful than med school - and aim for the exam later on.

- Will I even be able to get leave to attend the exam (or even better to revise before it as well)? I understand that FY1s don't get study leave but can annual leave be arranged? Depends on the job, you may have fixed annual leave, in which case it can be tricky and you'd have to arrange a swap, or you may be able to take it when you like, in which case it should be more straightforward with enough notice unless you're supposed to be on-call.

- Would I just be better off hoping for a paediatric rotation in FY2 and sitting the exam then, even if I miss the boat for specialty application? I would probably say so, give yourself some time to get settled (and earn some money for the exam/course fees/books!). There are other ways to show your interest in paediatrics like getting involved in an audit or going on courses/conferences. Will you be doing any jobs where you'll encounter kids, e.g. general surgery/orthopaedics in some hospitals, or A&E/GP? That would give you opportunities for audit etc.

Answers above :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
Answers above :smile:

Thank you :smile: I've noticed you're so helpful on this sub-forum, you really deserve some kind of prize!

I guess I would just like to enjoy a relaxed summer and get into my first job with nothing else on my mind.. I'm sure I'm going to find it really stressful and difficult, I'm dreading it in a big way as well as being super excited about it. Buuut I actually don't find revising paediatrics that arduous, as I quite like reading about it, and it would be fresher in my mind from finals... I like the idea of doing it when it would be easier to pass!

I was one of the lucky few with excess student loan (due to my parents low income), and I love saving money so I have a massive cash ISA opening in a few months :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I can definitely afford it :tongue:

I've already done quite a lot of paeds stuff, but you can't really overkill commitment to specialty, and I wonder how much undergraduate activities really count... My first 2 jobs are adult medicine, so I don't think there'll be much opportunity for paediatric audit, also my hospital doesn't do paediatric tasters :frown: But my last block is T&O, don't know if I would see any kids then.

The closing date for registering for the exam is still a way off, I think I will contact my hospital to ask about leave. If I can't guarantee leave for the exam, I guess that's the decision made!

I'm not very decisive and I worry too much (oh dear, bad qualities for an FY1!). On the one hand I want to do it to prove that I can and get it over with, and I do sort of think I'd pass, as I always pass (unbridled arrogance? :s-smilie: ); on the other it probably isn't particularly useful (not even mentioned in application guidance) and I could possibly be thinking of the very worst time to take on a stressful exam!

Maybe I'll see depending how well I do in my paeds finals :tongue:

Thanks for your advice :smile: I'm the worst at making threads, I type far too much :tongue:
For the paediatric application as it currently stands, you do not get any extra points on the application for passing parts of MRCPCH, but you could use it as a discussion point at interview during your commitment to specialty station.

I would definitely advise against taking it shortly after starting FY1 - as Helenia said, adapting to life as an FY1 is hard enough and takes up a lot of your time, long hours at the start, getting used to nights / weekends on call. It's hard to imagine until you're in it - by which point you may well regret having applied for the exam, and at most you would only get a part refund.

I recently did the paeds specialty application, and got an ST1 post with a high scoring, and did not have any parts of MRCPCH. If you're not going to have any foundation paeds experience, try and stay in touch with consultant(s) from your med school paeds rotations, if you're staying in the same region for FY. Or get in touch with the paeds dept of your new region if you're moving. You need audits for paeds app - it doesn't say that they have to be paediatric, but obviously this would be an advantage and can show commitment. If you start early, you can complete a full audit cycle. Look at the paeds 'person specification' for this year, look at the skills and attributes they're looking for, and then start planning early how you're going to demonstrate them. Another thing you could do to demonstrate commitment to paeds, is APLS - might be difficult to get funding for this though, many FY1 study budgets include ALS but not APLS as well. You try for it for early FY2 though.
I can't talk specifically about paediatrics as I'm a medic but I did Part 1 MRCP at the first sitting (start of FY2) so started revising (tried to anyway!) in the final stages of FY1. It was difficult enough then even though I felt relatively comfortable in my role and because of lots of nights and on calls on a fixed rota, had a lot of zero days. There is no way in hell I would've been able to get any meaningful revision done early in FY1 however, the jobs were just too busy and life on the job was very stressful. All I did with my free time was to sleep, relax and go out. Even if it was allowed, doing MRCP or anything other than just the day job would've been a disaster. Everyone is different obviously but my first 6-8 months of F1 were all about survival. Some people will work in hospitals and jobs where it's possible to do more though.

Many deaneries also do not give study leave for revision in FY1 either.
Reply 5
I really appreciate your comments everyone! It seems as though it is definitely not a good idea to try and take on this exam so early. I'm really glad I asked! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending