The Student Room Group

Further maths

Is further maths really hard? I know it's tough, but what sort of stuff is covered in FM that isn't covered in maths. Also, what's the structure for further maths. I know maths is AS: C1 C2 (Applied Modules) A2:C3 C4 Applied Modules) .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
AS further maths is fairly straight forward - Fp1 + 2 modules of your choice.

A2 further maths is where it gets a bit serious - Fp1 + Fp2 + 4 modules of your choice

(choice being your schools really)
Reply 2
I found there is a lot of work for further maths but if you keep up to date with it, its ok. I'm doing edexcel further maths (AS) and doing modules C1, C2, C3, D1, S1, M1 and FP1 this year. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jkizer
AS further maths is fairly straight forward - Fp1 + 2 modules of your choice.

A2 further maths is where it gets a bit serious - Fp1 + Fp2 + 4 modules of your choice

(choice being your schools really)

At where I wish to go for sixth form we do AQA further maths. Do I not need to do FP3 or FP4?
Reply 4
Original post by E_04
I found there is a lot of work for further maths but if you keep up to date with it, its ok. I'm doing edexcel further maths (AS) and doing modules C1, C2, C3, D1, S1, M1 and FP1 this year. Hope this helps! :smile:

I'm doing early entry GCSE maths and hoping to get an A this year(year 10). Is this good enough for FM or do I need to keep going until the end of Yearl 11 and get an A*?
Original post by RG110man
I'm doing early entry GCSE maths and hoping to get an A this year(year 10). Is this good enough for FM or do I need to keep going until the end of Yearl 11 and get an A*?

If you aren't confident of obtaining the top grade, there's no point taking your exam early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

My sixth form asked for an A* or A in my application so I think it depends on the entry criteria of where you would like to go. Would you have the chance to study GCSE Further Maths next year- I did and found that it really helped at the beginning of the year when doing C1 and C2!
Reply 7
Original post by E_04
My sixth form asked for an A* or A in my application so I think it depends on the entry criteria of where you would like to go. Would you have the chance to study GCSE Further Maths next year- I did and found that it really helped at the beginning of the year when doing C1 and C2!

I get the opportunity to study either GCSE statistics or do some A level preparation for a year (No formal qualification though)
Reply 8
Original post by majmuh24
If you aren't confident of obtaining the top grade, there's no point taking your exam early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school want me to go in for it, and to be honest I want to go in for it. If I can get the grade I need this year it means I can concentrate more on different studies next year. Otherwise I'll keep going next year.
Reply 9
At where I wish to go for sixth form we do AQA further maths. Do I not need to do FP3 or FP4?

Fp4 i never heard off - must be for additional further maths ? A qualification that's rarely taken / offered

Fp3 is not compulsory no. Only fp1 / fp2 are compulsory modules.

In many cases funny enough, teachers don't teach fp3 as it's even too difficult / mind boggling for them. At my school only 2/8 maths teacher can teach fp3. Bear in mind, one is like an examiner for further maths and the other one says he struggled with teaching it. Ouch.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
Fp4 i never heard off - must be for additional further maths ? A qualification that's rarely taken / offered

Fp3 is not compulsory no. Only fp1 / fp2 are compulsory modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA do FP4, it's not for AFM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Our school dont offer furthermaths mainly because they are a bag of ****. So usless, I doubt all of them would get an A at a-level if they sat the exam now.
Reply 12
What sort of stuff is involved in FM? Is it just maths more in depth or is it much harder and incredibly theoretical with new topics?
Reply 13
What sort of stuff is involved in FM? Is it just maths more in depth or is it much harder and incredibly theoretical with new topics?

Some of the content is further in depth from C2/3 but the majority is new, but we didn't do a lot of theory when we learnt it. The topics we have covered include complex numbers, matrices, coordinate systems, proof by induction, series and sequences, and numerical methods. When learning it I found that one of the FP1 chapters is very similar to a C3 chapter so it helps when learning that too :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by E_04
Some of the content is further in depth from C2/3 but the majority is new, but we didn't do a lot of theory when we learnt it. The topics we have covered include complex numbers, matrices, coordinate systems, proof by induction, series and sequences, and numerical methods. When learning it I found that one of the FP1 chapters is very similar to a C3 chapter so it helps when learning that too :smile:

Which syllabus did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Which syllabus did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel, think it's the spec from 2008 :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by E_04
Edexcel, think it's the spec from 2008 :smile:

Where I want to go uses AQA. I suppose all the syllabuses are fairly identical though....
Where I want to go uses AQA.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-6360-W-SP-14.PDF

AQA Further Maths spec.

Quick Reply

Latest