The Student Room Group

Overrated TV shows

What TV shows do you think are overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doctor Who - I started watching it recently. Before I get hate, I LIKE THE SHOW. But after growing up my whole life hearing how amazing and fantastic it is, there was no way it was going to live up to the hype. I think when shows are so hyped up, there's almost no way for them not to be overrated.

Very similar thing for Breaking Bad, I like that as well, (obviously I didn't grow up hearing how amazing it apparently is, as it isn't old enough for that) but it couldn't have lived up to the hype. I really don't get why people think it's so amazing, yes it's good and dramatic and I enjoyed watching it (haven't seen all of it though, got bored of it) but I don't get why it's apparently the best thing since sliced bread.

There are probably many others, but I'll shut up now before I get an angry mob after me with a bunch of lit torches :tongue:
Reply 2
My Little Pony. All the bronies lied to me. :mad:
Original post by Okkefac
Doctor Who - I started watching it recently. Before I get hate, I LIKE THE SHOW. But after growing up my whole life hearing how amazing and fantastic it is, there was no way it was going to live up to the hype. I think when shows are so hyped up, there's almost no way for them not to be overrated.

Very similar thing for Breaking Bad, I like that as well, (obviously I didn't grow up hearing how amazing it apparently is, as it isn't old enough for that) but it couldn't have lived up to the hype. I really don't get why people think it's so amazing, yes it's good and dramatic and I enjoyed watching it (haven't seen all of it though, got bored of it) but I don't get why it's apparently the best thing since sliced bread.

There are probably many others, but I'll shut up now before I get an angry mob after me with a bunch of lit torches :tongue:

I agree about dr who.
Ive watched bits of it, and i dont think its anywhere near as good as its made out to be. Its not helped by relatives (auntie, younger cousin etc) who used to constantly talk at one point about how it was the best thing since sliced bread. Ill admit its not my kind of thing, but i think its still overrated.

I also think friends is overrated.
Ive watched bits and didnt think it was very good either. Im not sure what people see in it. When i heard masses of people raving about it, i thought it was going to be decent, but no, it was a bit ****.
Reply 4
Game Of Thrones, I watched part of the first episode and it was so bad.
Reply 5
The Walking Dead. Honestly one of the most boring and dragged out things I have ever seen. I love horrors and zombies so I thought this would be right up my street :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
So far, The Wire.

Im on season 1 ep 10 so that may change though. Its currently the dullest tv show ive ever watched but with an amazing soundtrack.
X FACTOR

BRITON's GOT TALENT AND

EASTENDERS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Made in Chelsea
Only way is Essex
EastEnders
X factor
Britain's got talent
Reply 9
Big Bang Theory
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Game Of Thrones, I watched part of the first episode and it was so bad.

Rule number one of TV shows: never judge a TV show off the first episode, some of the best tv series of all time take a couple of episodes to get going.
Sherlock
can't believe people think Breaking Bad is overrated its just amazing on all fronts

although i love The Wire not as surprised to see that because it is slow and very story based so not everyones cup of tea

For me it has to be The Walking Dead.. and this isn't on the basis of the first episode either - watched up until somewhere in Season 3 hoping it would get better but it was just awful

also House, haven't watched a great many of episodes but it seemed to be very formulaic.. get a case, have no clue, make a mistake and then finally crack the case
Reply 14
I cannot understand the hype over the Big Bang Theory, the humour just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Downton Abbey is rather boring, like Eastenders just posh.

X-Factor/Britain's Got Talent/The Voice are great if you've never seen a talent show, but after one series it's just the same thing over and over again. They all follow the same tune and end their episode with some unknown middle-aged builder/cop/teacher singing this ballad and shocking everyone. Then the emotional music (Leona Lewis normally) kicks in as they're told they're through... and then it just becomes a show about them.

TOWIE/Made in Chelsea - The show's format is just nonsense, it's a scripted reality TV show about some orange monkeys. So basically, it's fake trying to appear real.

Deal or No Deal/Pointless/The Chase - 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' pretty much gave these shows no reason to exist. Plus the guy in Pointless sits there like a smartass, yet we can blatantly see he's got a laptop in front of him.
Breaking Bad easily
Reply 16
Have to agree with Breaking Bad - even though I'm a fan.
Reply 17
If anyone says The Wire you're simply wrong.

It's the best TV show ever made.

Ever.
Reply 18
The Big Bang Theory. (...Poor man's Community.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Dr. Who, The Big Bang Theory (irredeemably terrible imo), Friends, Breaking Bad (good but very over-hyped)

I'm not sure why people are saying BGT/X-Factor as no one ever claims these programs are amazing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending