The Student Room Group

Lost my enthusiasm for my driving. Simply can't be bothered anymore.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Using the gears are the least of your worries, you have to focus on other aspects of your driving, like manoeuvres, lane discipline and making progress. Just stick with it you'll get it eventually and once you have that under wraps it'll all fall into place.
Reply 2
Stop thinking about it so much, you're overcomplicating it massively
Reply 3
Original post by Mochassassin
I'm 19.
I took about 10 hours last year but they're irrelevant since I forgot everything by the time I resumed lessons this February.

So I've had about 23 hours with my new instructor and though she's lovely and teaches well, I feel like I'm getting nowhere. I can do all the basic things well - signals, left/right turns, hill starts, braking at junctions, peep/creep, stopping the car, crossing/meeting traffic etc...
I've also practised all the manoeuvres. I can do a turn in the road properly and today I did a left reverse and it went quite well. I suck at bay parking and I'm okay at parallel parking.

The only thing that bugs me is having to stop abruptly especially when you're stuck in traffic uphill or whatever. I've learnt not to panic when I stall and now I can calmly secure the car and move off even in traffic.

I've just stopped being excited for my lessons anymore. I feel like if I concentrate too much on keeping good clutch control and switching gears, I forget to do good mirror checks and assess the road ahead of me. If I then focus on the cars ahead and traffic lights, I mess up with clutch control. I've tried going into lessons with a positive mindset and confidence only to get bored and just count down the minutes until I'm back home.

I've always wanted to go down the easy route and do automatic but my dad's against the idea. He says manual requires common sense and if I can't even do that, how am I supposed to do anything? Family friends have been supportive saying, "Look, that person is really thick and they were able to do it. You can too!"
My dad's also saying, "You should have passed ages ago. You should've finished your lessons last year" etc.

I KNOW it's different for everyone, just as I know some people are fast learners and for others it takes a lot longer.
The more lessons I take, the less motivated I feel. It doesn't help that I'm constantly being frowned upon for not having passed already.

Should I just drive an automatic? :confused: :frown:

Hi Mochassassin;47216514
Even if u switched to driving school which teaches Pupils in a Automatic Car.,you will still need to know the rules of the road and know the various road /traffic signs etc
which i am sure you are already aware of by now.
The only difference would be you wouldn't need to concern yourself with the various gear changes that's the only difference
I also believe from my own research that driving lessons in automatic car are sometimes a bit more expensive than lessons in manual car.
I wouldn't concern yourself on what other people may think,you will pass your driving test when you know yourself when you feel you ready for it.
It doesn't matter how long this takes as you said yourself in your post individuals pass at different times
Some may pass after a few driving lessons others might require more lessons,it really depends upon the individual how long it takes to pick everything up that is required to satisfy the DVLA Examiners at the Driving test center.

My advice would be do what you feel is best for you regardless of what your parents might think or others.
Hope this helps you in some way.
Original post by wizardtop
Hi Mochassassin;47216514
Even if u switched to driving school which teaches Pupils in a Automatic Car.,you will still need to know the rules of the road and know the various road /traffic signs etc
which i am sure you are already aware of by now.
The only difference would be you wouldn't need to concern yourself with the various gear changes that's the only difference
I also believe from my own research that driving lessons in automatic car are sometimes a bit more expensive than lessons in manual car.
I wouldn't concern yourself on what other people may think,you will pass your driving test when you know yourself when you feel you ready for it.
It doesn't matter how long this takes as you said yourself in your post individuals pass at different times
Some may pass after a few driving lessons others might require more lessons,it really depends upon the individual how long it takes to pick everything up that is required to satisfy the DVLA Examiners at the Driving test center.

My advice would be do what you feel is best for you regardless of what your parents might think or others.
Hope this helps you in some way.

Thank you for being the only person to reply! I didn't even see this.
You're right, I shouldn't concern myself with what others think! I'll just continue what I'm doing.
Truth is, the lesson I did after posting this went really well and I nailed a few manoeuvres with complete independence.
Like you said, it's knowing the rules of the road and that's what I need to brush up on! Forgotten pretty much everything from my theory (which is terrible, I know) but if I know what I'm looking for, hopefully I should panic less about how I drive!
Thanks again! :colondollar:
Reply 5
I'm 19.
I took about 10 hours last year but they're irrelevant since I forgot everything by the time I resumed lessons this February.

So I've had about 23 hours with my new instructor and though she's lovely and teaches well, I feel like I'm getting nowhere. I can do all the basic things well - signals, left/right turns, hill starts, braking at junctions, peep/creep, stopping the car, crossing/meeting traffic etc...
I've also practised all the manoeuvres. I can do a turn in the road properly and today I did a left reverse and it went quite well. I suck at bay parking and I'm okay at parallel parking.

The only thing that bugs me is having to stop abruptly especially when you're stuck in traffic uphill or whatever. I've learnt not to panic when I stall and now I can calmly secure the car and move off even in traffic.

I've just stopped being excited for my lessons anymore. I feel like if I concentrate too much on keeping good clutch control and switching gears, I forget to do good mirror checks and assess the road ahead of me. If I then focus on the cars ahead and traffic lights, I mess up with clutch control. I've tried going into lessons with a positive mindset and confidence only to get bored and just count down the minutes until I'm back home.

I've always wanted to go down the easy route and do automatic but my dad's against the idea. He says manual requires common sense and if I can't even do that, how am I supposed to do anything? Family friends have been supportive saying, "Look, that person is really thick and they were able to do it. You can too!"
My dad's also saying, "You should have passed ages ago. You should've finished your lessons last year" etc.

I KNOW it's different for everyone, just as I know some people are fast learners and for others it takes a lot longer.
The more lessons I take, the less motivated I feel. It doesn't help that I'm constantly being frowned upon for not having passed already.

Should I just drive an automatic? :confused: :frown:

Have you passed yet? I'm 20 and my sister is 22 still haven't got to do theory or driving haha it's so boring :/
Original post by Jerry
Have you passed yet? I'm 20 and my sister is 22 still haven't got to do theory or driving haha it's so boring :/

Lmao, no. I'm 20 now too. My driving test (manual) was supposed to be on Friday but with perfectly good timing, I misplaced the paper counterpart of my license...which they're gonna scrap in a week anyway. So I wasn't allowed to do my test and that's £62 down the drain. :/
Got it booked for the end of July. I failed my last test with one major on the way back to the test centre. LOL.
I managed to regain my enthusiasm for it, by the way (in relation to why I made this thread) - my new instructor is a hell of a lot better. Think that was the key. :smile:

It's boring but you can do it! Have you had any lessons at all?
Reply 7
Lmao, no. I'm 20 now too. My driving test (manual) was supposed to be on Friday but with perfectly good timing, I misplaced the paper counterpart of my license...which they're gonna scrap in a week anyway. So I wasn't allowed to do my test and that's £62 down the drain. :/
Got it booked for the end of July. I failed my last test with one major on the way back to the test centre. LOL.
I managed to regain my enthusiasm for it, by the way (in relation to why I made this thread) - my new instructor is a hell of a lot better. Think that was the key. :smile:

It's boring but you can do it! Have you had any lessons at all?

Aww glad you got ur enthusiasm back! No not had any lessons my mum keeps nagging us to do it saying oh i was the first one out of all my siblings to pass blah blah blah i'm only learning it now because I need to know how to drive when I go on my uni placement it's a requirement Hopefully i'll pass one day aha
Original post by Jerry
Aww glad you got ur enthusiasm back! No not had any lessons my mum keeps nagging us to do it saying oh i was the first one out of all my siblings to pass blah blah blah i'm only learning it now because I need to know how to drive when I go on my uni placement it's a requirement Hopefully i'll pass one day aha

Haha, the nagging thing...I can relate! It's just a good skill to learn I suppose for things like emergencies or...like you said, uni placements! Good luck for when you do the test! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Haha, the nagging thing...I can relate! It's just a good skill to learn I suppose for things like emergencies or...like you said, uni placements! Good luck for when you do the test! :biggrin:

LOL! and yeah I guess it is thanx and good luck to you too x
Did you pass your test? I'm having my first driving lesson after 2 years tomorrow and I'm really not enthusiastic about it all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending