The Student Room Group

Living in London

So i've been working hard and dreaming of going to a uni in London in 2015. However, everyone is criticising me and calling me ignorant and stupid for not thinking of expense and how much cheaper it would be to go to just as good a uni elsewhere. What do you guys think? Is London AS expensive as everyone thinks, or is there perhaps a slight myth to it? How are students able to afford it and cope financially whilst still saving?
Does it get harder, or easier - money wise - after first year? How much on average does one spend?

Pretty upset about lack of support from family about attending a London uni and their attempts at persuading me out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by icharliee
So i've been working hard and dreaming of going to a uni in London in 2015. However, everyone is criticising me and calling me ignorant and stupid for not thinking of expense and how much cheaper it would be to go to just as good a uni elsewhere. What do you guys think? Is London AS expensive as everyone thinks, or is there perhaps a slight myth to it? How are students able to afford it and cope financially whilst still saving?
Does it get harder, or easier - money wise - after first year? How much on average does one spend?

Pretty upset about lack of support from family about attending a London uni and their attempts at persuading me out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all be not bad at all if you'll be prepared to get a part-time job AND/OR you will get the maximum bursary/loan.

Also if you spend your money wisely you'll be fine!
London IS a kind of expensive place. It's certainly more expensive than some areas. I've lived here all my life so I know. I'm about to move out for uni IN London this year so I doubly know!

But if you work a part time job with enough hours and are sensible on choosing your accommodation, food and travel you should be fine.

Like if you can walk, cycle or take the bus somewhere then don't spend the extra money on the tube.
Like instead of living in those halls a 5 minute walk from uni for £199 per week... rent a room in a nice house share for £90pwk or the halls 10-15 minutes away for £140-160 pwk instead.

Spend money wisely. Don't take the tube if you can put a backpack on and ride a cycle there. Take the bus even! - It works out cheaper.

Don't be a snob with Waitrose brand stuff- Sainsbury's Basics is nearly always good enough and if it isn't you can add a bit of fixing to it and seasoning to change the taste.

Don't spend money on crap Hovis farmhouse and again buy Sainsburys Basics bread. Same stuff!
Original post by Lord Jon
London IS a kind of expensive place. It's certainly more expensive than some areas. I've lived here all my life so I know. I'm about to move out for uni IN London this year so I doubly know!

But if you work a part time job with enough hours and are sensible on choosing your accommodation, food and travel you should be fine.

Like if you can walk, cycle or take the bus somewhere then don't spend the extra money on the tube.
Like instead of living in those halls a 5 minute walk from uni for £199 per week... rent a room in a nice house share for £90pwk or the halls 10-15 minutes away for £140-160 pwk instead.

Spend money wisely. Don't take the tube if you can put a backpack on and ride a cycle there. Take the bus even! - It works out cheaper.

Don't be a snob with Waitrose brand stuff- Sainsbury's Basics is nearly always good enough and if it isn't you can add a bit of fixing to it and seasoning to change the taste.

Don't spend money on crap Hovis farmhouse and again buy Sainsburys Basics bread. Same stuff!

How many hours do recommend working on say minimum wage?

Who can afford £140 - 160 a week?!?!?!?!

NOt sure sainsburys basics is the same. Their yogurt is full of just filler for example, so the bread is probably full of filler too.
Original post by cheeriosarenice

NOt sure sainsburys basics is the same. Their yogurt is full of just filler for example, so the bread is probably full of filler too.

What do you mean "filler"? Sounds more unappetising than I imagined...

We barely eat basics in the family households. Its on the rare occasion that we need something emergency like but its not bad. Tastes the same. As long as it hasn't anything unhealthy it should be fine to eat.

As for hours: I dunno. Depends on the job and how much you are paid. Sometimes casual work is just as good. 14-20 hours per week is fine I'm sure. Just do less hours during exams and periods of lots of work. Holidays you do more.

£140-160 per week. Its tight but doable. Depending on what money goes in. Some cases I've calculated id not get enough to cover it and in other cases I'm left with £1,000-2000 spare. Remember you will only be out there in term time and maybe the breaks in between. (Is:30 odd to 40 weeks) you shouldn't be there (and therefore paying) for all 52 weeks of the year and certainly not summer holidays either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What do you mean "filler"? Sounds more unappetising than I imagined...

We barely eat basics in the family households. Its on the rare occasion that we need something emergency like but its not bad. Tastes the same. As long as it hasn't anything unhealthy it should be fine to eat.

As for hours: I dunno. Depends on the job and how much you are paid. Sometimes casual work is just as good. 14-20 hours per week is fine I'm sure. Just do less hours during exams and periods of lots of work. Holidays you do more.

£140-160 per week. Its tight but doable. Depending on what money goes in. Some cases I've calculated id not get enough to cover it and in other cases I'm left with £1,000-2000 spare. Remember you will only be out there in term time and maybe the breaks in between. (Is:30 odd to 40 weeks) you shouldn't be there (and therefore paying) for all 52 weeks of the year and certainly not summer holidays either

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my problem is that my parents don't live in this country only I do, so I will be spending my holidays there. Also, if I do go on holiday to visit them for three months in the summer, where would I keep all my stuff? This is the problem. I will be paying rent everyday from the day I move out to uni.
See my problem is that my parents don't live in this country only I do, so I will be spending my holidays there. Also, if I do go on holiday to visit them for three months in the summer, where would I keep all my stuff? This is the problem. I will be paying rent everyday from the day I move out to uni.

Pay for the holiday period and leave your stuff at your place while you go home on holiday then. As long as you have money to pay the rent...
Reply 7
Pay for the holiday period and leave your stuff at your place while you go home on holiday then. As long as you have money to pay the rent...

Yeah but it's about saving the money....

Posted from TSR Mobile

£140-160 is standard rent in London, its at the cheaper end of halls as well
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000

From research I have found halls to be from 130-190 pound a week. How about once you move out? Second year? How much would house share be per person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are your parents helping you pay rent?
From research I have found halls to be from 130-190 pound a week. How about once you move out? Second year? How much would house share be per person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends where you live really. One of my friends whose at UCL got an ex council flat 10 minutes away and paid £130pw excluding bills two years ago, another a maisonette near Uni of Middx £90pw excluding bills again a couple of years ago now- both on 12 month contracts, both sharing with 3 others. Not sure what prices are like this year though, I've never rented in London.
Reply 12
Yeah, it just seems to be getting more and note expensive! Those prices you mentioned aren't too bad, but I haven't found any at that price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are your parents helping you pay rent?

I don't rent in London, my parents live here and I have friends who go to uni in London, the ones who live either get financial assistance from parents or have a job.
Yeah London is quite expensive, but then again it depends on what area u decide to stay in. Good Luck tho, wherever u decide to stay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My halls are £225/week but in central.
Going through the same thing. I visited London for 5 days and really liked it, decided if I'm going to uni then I'd like to try and study in London. Although the only two ones that do the course I want are Brunel and London South bank. The halls don't seem to be that expensive.

Will you not be entitled to extra financial help for studying in London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 17
Yeah but it's about saving the money....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can use a storage unit such as the 'Big Yellow storage unit'
Reply 18
Yeah, it just seems to be getting more and note expensive! Those prices you mentioned aren't too bad, but I haven't found any at that price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do decide to go to London then invest in a travelcard/bus season ticket rather than PAYG as you will save quite a bit if you're even a moderate traveller
Original post by Abdul-Karim
My halls are £225/week but in central.

How can you afford that? Parents help?

Quick Reply

Latest