The Student Room Group

Would it be worth going to Uni for me?

Hi everyone!

Sorry to create a thread which I feel may be rather repetitive on TSR - but I feel I need to ask as I have no idea at the moment.

I left college 10 months ago, without applying to any universities at all. The reason is because like now, I was not sure at all what I should do. I procrastinated a lot, and by the time applications were due... I didn't send one.

Now though, 10 months later I am again in a similar predicament. Apart from the fact that for those 10 months I haven't done anything remotely productive apart from learning a little on my own. I feel counter-productive, in the sense that I could be achieving so much more if I had chosen a different path at the epitome of my time at college.

At college I was studying a BTEC in IT which was an Extended Diploma at Level 3 - of which I finished with a final grade of D*D*D. I worked hard at it, and achieved a decent grade (I could have had a triple D* but I was pretty lazy at the time - which I regret). I just feel as if my time at college was a waste because I chose not to go onto any HE?

You see - what I want to do is programming, particularly programming which I could later use to create/design video games. I don't have a huge knowledge of programming my self, but I do know HTML, some standard CSS, Java and limited C++ (I don't remember much). I am currently watching videos of game programming entirely with Java - which I do maybe once a week but lately I haven't done at all.

I guess I am so indecisive because I believe that I would not "stand out" to any Uni's and because I am somewhat undecided on the direction I want to go in my life.

If you read the whole thing I am greatly appreciative and hope you have anything to say which would help me make up my mind. :confused:

I can post my GCSE grades if you would like me too. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Letchy
Hi everyone!

Sorry to create a thread which I feel may be rather repetitive on TSR - but I feel I need to ask as I have no idea at the moment.

I left college 10 months ago, without applying to any universities at all. The reason is because like now, I was not sure at all what I should do. I procrastinated a lot, and by the time applications were due... I didn't send one.

Now though, 10 months later I am again in a similar predicament. Apart from the fact that for those 10 months I haven't done anything remotely productive apart from learning a little on my own. The bottom line is at the moment I am on the dole and looking for retail work (which I cannot get because no employers want to employ me) - and I absolutely hate it. I feel counter-productive, in the sense that I could be achieving so much more if I had chosen a different path at the epitome of my time at college.

At college I was studying a BTEC in IT which was an Extended Diploma at Level 3 - of which I finished with a final grade of D*D*D. I worked hard at it, and achieved a decent grade (I could have had a triple D* but I was pretty lazy - which I regret). I just feel as if my time at college was a waste because I chose not to go onto any HE?

You see - what I want to do is programming, particularly programming which I could later use to create/design video games. I don't have a huge knowledge of programming my self, but I do know HTML, some standard CSS, Java and limited C++ (I don't remember much). I am currently watching videos of game programming entirely with Java - which I do maybe once a week but lately I haven't done at all.

I guess I am so indecisive because I believe that I would not "stand out" to any Uni's and because I am somewhat undecided on the direction I want to go in my life.

If you read the whole thing I am greatly appreciative and hope you have anything to say which would help me make up my mind. :confused:

I can post my grades achieved in secondary school too, if you would like. :colondollar:

Okay let's see your secondary school results.
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
Okay let's see your secondary school results.

Okay, well I'll be the first to say they are not amazing. They are average:
English Language & Literature: C
Math: C
Science (BTEC): C
IT: Px3
Business Studies: Px3
Media Studies: Px3
Reply 3
If you can get into a good uni for computer science / software engineering then you should go for it, it can't hurt to at least apply.

You learn a lot more than just programming at uni so you don't have to figure out what you want to do straight away.
Reply 4
Original post by Letchy
Okay, well I'll be the first to say they are not amazing. They are average:
English Language & Literature: C
Math: C
Science (BTEC): C
IT: Px3
Business Studies: Px3
Media Studies: Px3

They are about average.

If you did go to Uni what subject would you want to study?
Reply 5
Original post by 391iady
They are about average.

If you did go to Uni what subject would you want to study?

Computer Science more than likely. I'm just not sure about Uni at all really.
It feels like I should have applied for Uni when I had the chance at college, as now my head is still not any clearer after waiting 10 months.
Reply 6
Original post by Letchy
Computer Science more than likely. I'm just not sure about Uni at all really.
It feels like I should have applied for Uni when I had the chance at college, as now my head is still not any clearer after waiting 10 months.

do you know how many UCAS points your BTEC is worth?

about 400?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 391iady
do you know how many UCAS points your BTEC is worth?

about 400?

I am not exactly sure, but IIRC I think you are on the ball more or less.
Reply 8
Original post by Letchy
I am not exactly sure, but IIRC I think you are on the ball more or less.

I'll get back to you tomorrow. Can you reply then just to remind me?
Reply 9
Original post by 391iady
I'll get back to you tomorrow. Can you reply then just to remind me?

Here you go sir, your reminder as requested.
Reply 11
Original post by Letchy
Thanks. I'll have a look at them all! (Goldsmiths was one of the ones I were looking at originally).
Maths has never been my strong point to be honest.

you are welcome.
If Maths has never been your strong point, CS might not be for you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by yl95
If Maths has never been your strong point, CS might not be for you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe not, but I believe with the right amount of dedication and hard work anything can be achieved really. But, other than CS...

What would you recommend I do?
Original post by Letchy
Maybe not, but I believe with the right amount of dedication and hard work anything can be achieved really. But, other than CS...

What would you recommend I do?

what else do you enjoy?
Reply 16
Well. There are various things I enjoy, but I don't think I could study it?

For example; I enjoy astronomy and have a partial interest in acting (not to the extent of a career, though). Whereas I have always been interested by technology and in particular video games, which led me to programming.
Original post by Letchy
Well. There are various things I enjoy, but I don't think I could study it?

For example; I enjoy astronomy and have a partial interest in acting (not to the extent of a career, though). Whereas I have always been interested by technology and in particular video games, which led me to programming.

Hmm. Tricky.
Reply 18
Original post by 391iady
Hmm. Tricky.

Indeed. I am in a limbo... I have been since my time in education ended 10 months ago it feels like.
Is it bad to be so indecisive about this? Part of me says yes while the other is saying it is good that I am taking my time.
I'd suggest you looked for apprenticeships e.g http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/it

They might give you more motivation and smaller debts

Quick Reply

Latest