The Student Room Group

Korean

Annyonghaseyo!
Anyone here learning korean? I've just started in preparation for my degree in Japanese and Korean. It's funny how there seems to be a divide of people saying whether korean is similar to Japanese or not, but from what I have seen already, it does seem grammatically linked with Japanese, even if most of the words look completely different (although there are some cognates with slightly altered words here and there)

Scroll to see replies

to be honest i amn't really all that familiar with korean, i hear it quite alot and i can recognise it when its spoken but i can't speak a WORD!

To me the sounds are quite similar to japs though. It's not quite as clipped and staccato i think is the difference, lots of 'ng' sounds that my friend thinks sounds like the person is gulping!

it sounds more lyrical than japanese too, sort of between the lyrical tones of chinese and the more clear-cut staccatto of japs...if that makes nay sense! (lol sorry it's ten to 4 in the morning eep!)

...and the script sort of looks like alien-speak from some sci-fi movie to me!

am i right in thinking they don't have a symbol-system like kanji but more like an alphabet that fits together? (just tell me if i'm making this up btw!)
Reply 2
I always thought that Korean was similar to Japanese.

Japanese retains some of the old Kanji script, whereas Korea has an 'invented' writing system (hangul) based on an older form of writing. And yes, this is formed by putting syllables together to create a single symbol.

I do believe from a linguistic pov, the languages are very different. I think it wouldn't be that hard to pick up Korean if you spoke Japanese. A lot of the words in Korean are from the other Sino languages.

My personal opinon is that Japanese is the easier of the two.
gaijin
I always thought that Korean was similar to Japanese.

Don't you think they sound quite different though? I can't put my finger on it, mainly due to a lack of the technical terms to describe it, but when I hear a Korean speak, it's like what Cocoa koneko said, alot of 'ng' and 'uhm', and it sort of remind me of a mixture of tagalog and chinese. When I heara Japanese speak, it's more 'ano' 'eito' etc. To me, korean sounds a bit moany and japanese is perky.
Reply 4
Gaijin - the term hungul sounds strangely similar "hurn yew" - which basically means Kanji, I think - not sure though - which I'm under the impression to mean basically oriental/Chinese characters? I could be totally wrong cus I don't know a thing about Korean. The one time I heard Korean was when my sister was watching the Korean soap Full House and we were reading the Chinese subtitles lol.

No idea what Korean is like - I certainly know it sounds like a mixture of Japanese, Cantonese and English. I imagine it should be fairly easy for a Chinese person to learn Korean, simply cus after listening to the Korean soap for a couple of hours, we started to recognise words. I distinctly remember the Korean woman saying "Bu gon ping ah!" - with a Korean way of saying it, not sure what that would be. And in Cantonese Chinese you'd say "Nmm gon ping ah!" - plus to pronounce "not" - well, the negative - in Mandarin Chinese it actually is pronounced "Bu". Both phrases was meant to mean "Not fair!"

There were others simple words but I don't remember now. But we were picking out one Chinese word after another, just spoken in a Korean accent. Of course they were Korean words now, but their roots were probably Chinese.
japanese sounds really different from korean to me!
im japanese, i find korean very different...
Reply 6
candystrippa
japanese sounds really different from korean to me!
im japanese, i find korean very different...

I'd trust you on it lol as I don't speak Japanese - wish I did though! I love Japanese it's such a gorgeous language, and the anime soundtracks!

I vaguely remember stuff sounding similar to koko etc, but I could be wrong just cus it's been a long time since I watched Full House. I just remember picking out Japanese words from it, although maybe it sounds like Japanese to me cus there was a similarity which you might think is not there cus you actually know how the Japanese word should be pronounced? lol. You know, when like, an English person tells me that 2 Chinese words sound the same and I'm like - no they really really don't!
lol yup i get you.

i think a big factor why many korean words sound the same as japanese ones is because both languages include many words from foreign languages (like english) often japanese simply take english words and put them into their own language by prounouncing it in the "japanese" way (using sounds from the japanese alphabet), as does koreans, pronouncing the english word using sounds from the korean alphabet. at the end because both are derived from the same english word, they end up sounding similar.
Reply 8
candystrippa
lol yup i get you.

i think a big factor why many korean words sound the same as japanese ones is because both languages include many words from foreign languages (like english) often japanese simply take english words and put them into their own language by prounouncing it in the "japanese" way (using sounds from the japanese alphabet), as does koreans, pronouncing the english word using sounds from the korean alphabet. at the end because both are derived from the same english word, they end up sounding similar.

Ahh yes, I know Japanese steal English words a lot lol. Although I've gotta say I find it slightly strange and immensely hilarious when Japanese decides to use English words without knowing what on earth they mean. I'm namely referring to Sailor Moon lol, even though that is my childhood favourite lol, but I never knew that the attacks were spoken in English, and since I love Japanese and hate English dubbing, I've realised what some of the attacks are lol. When we found out that Sailor Moon's attack involved the words "Cosmic Heart Attack" we simply had to laugh :biggrin: (and Sparkling Wide Pressure) Thing is, I can never tell if they just don't bother pronouncing English words the right way, or if they simply can't. I cannot for the life of me recognise English words in Japanese songs unless there were subtitles. So yeh, do Japanese people just not bother with pronouncing English words properly or is it just a problem of accent?

Btw don't get me wrong, I adore Japanese. Love Japanese songs. The language simply sounds gorgeous.
lol i think it's more to do with accent irisng! Japanese has the habit of having a consonant+vowel system so words like "France" come out "furanasu" plus you have to remember that lots of english sounds don't exist in Japanese! So they have to be substituted for the closest Japanese sound! 'love' is completely butchered into 'rabu' because of all this!
it's still funny to listen to though! :biggrin:
Reply 10
안녕하세요!

I love the Korean script, it's gorgeous :suith:

Unfortunately, I've just about exhausted my knowledge of Korean. :frown: I can read hangeul, but that's about it.
Reply 11
여러분 안녕하세요? 나는 swifty 이에요. 만나서 반가워요. 한국어를 공부해싶어요. 그리고, 한국은 재미있어요.

계세요.
Reply 12
Cocoa koneko
lol i think it's more to do with accent irisng! Japanese has the habit of having a consonant+vowel system so words like "France" come out "furanasu" plus you have to remember that lots of english sounds don't exist in Japanese! So they have to be substituted for the closest Japanese sound! 'love' is completely butchered into 'rabu' because of all this!

Don't be dissing 'rabu' or 'hottodoggu'

I am 'sumato' :biggrin:

Japrish so sounds much better than English. :wink:

Besides we do the same to other foreign language loan-words to accomdate our native tounge. Many people don't realise the words in question are actually foreign! :eek:
Reply 13
Cocoa koneko

Oh yeh I realised it might be due to the fact that the sounds simply don't exist in Japanese lol. Although you do wonder if they've tried or is it cus they really can't do it somrtimes! Haha Chinese does it too, really. I remember a lame joke in a really old comedy involved someone explaining something and he said "This is what man calls Love" - and the response came as: Legn fo? (can't be cantonese syllabals I'm afraid!) - but basically the joke was "Legn fo" means when your trousers fall down :biggrin: lol!
irisng
Oh yeh I realised it might be due to the fact that the sounds simply don't exist in Japanese lol. Although you do wonder if they've tried or is it cus they really can't do it somrtimes! Haha Chinese does it too, really. I remember a lame joke in a really old comedy involved someone explaining something and he said "This is what man calls Love" - and the response came as: Legn fo? (can't be cantonese syllabals I'm afraid!) - but basically the joke was "Legn fo" means when your trousers fall down :biggrin: lol!

That reminds me of the first time I heard a chinese style engrish word (chinglish perhaps?) and the girl was saying 'heppy ending' hehe. Though I haven't come across it much, maybe not much exist (not that I'm exposed alot to the chinese language :confused: but my opinion on it anyway lol- correct me if I'm wrong!)

Back to koreans, I think they are less louder than other asians. And when they are loud, it's (apologise to other asian speakers :p:) less iritating... I'm only basing this on chinese, japanese and filipino speakers, because they are the only ones I feel I can really judge. I dunno, maybe they talk quietly. Or maybe just the korean language I've heard has been quiet... it reminds me of South Africans, who I also think are quiet. Based on the whole 2 SA's I know lol. *enough of my rambling*
Reply 15
rockthecasbah
That reminds me of the first time I heard a chinese style engrish word (chinglish perhaps?) and the girl was saying 'heppy ending' hehe. Though I haven't come across it much, maybe not much exist (not that I'm exposed alot to the chinese language :confused: but my opinion on it anyway lol- correct me if I'm wrong!)

Back to koreans, I think they are less louder than other asians. And when they are loud, it's (apologise to other asian speakers :p:) less iritating... I'm only basing this on chinese, japanese and filipino speakers, because they are the only ones I feel I can really judge. I dunno, maybe they talk quietly. Or maybe just the korean language I've heard has been quiet... it reminds me of South Africans, who I also think are quiet. Based on the whole 2 SA's I know lol. *enough of my rambling*

Heppy ending? Lol why was she saying "heppy ending"??

Chinglish - I wouldn't know how diverse it is - I can understand why people speak it does I do it too but I can never understand why people write it. Like, I read this on msn once: "I have no choose la." And I was like - huh? And other people going "I don't have anymore la." And I was like - what on earth is "la" meant to be? Then I played it out in Chinese in my head and only then did I understand them! But Chinglish is just mixing Chinese and English so anything can become Chinglish really, either adding Chinese words and phrases in English or vice versa, or simply speaking in English grammar, like if I said "He did this for her" - I'd say something like, "Kyoi jo ee yorn yer for kyoi" - notice the word "For" in there. But in proper Cantonese you'd simply phrase it different, either different words or different grammar. I never write chinglish - it's simply ugly.

Haha Chinese can be very piercing, I'd agree. My bf often tells me I sound deafening when I speak Chinese lol and he asks me why I shout at my mum - but it's not shouting. It's just a normal level of speaking lol. Japanese sounds gorgeous I love it. As for Korean - don't know enough about it. It sounded amusing when I first heard it but just cus I wasn't used to it. Once I'd got used to it Korean sounds fine. Normal lang, like any other, to me. I did seem to notice a lot of "yor" sounds in the language that's often spoken spoken so that the "or" bit goes up in tone. I can't distinguish the individual syllabals in Korean yet cus I don't hear enough of it. I can usually do that with Japanese and German, and sometimes French, although I don't speak any of those langs lol :biggrin:
Hey I'm thinking of learning Korean - I've dropped out of my philosophy course and I'm probably gonna apply for your course for 07 Eien! I've only just started Japanese though so I don't want to confuse myself by starting Korean straight away, but if anyone has any advice for when i do start, for example where I can get a 'feel' of the language I'll be very grateful :smile:
Reply 17
That BoA chick is hot.

If you want a good feel for the language, then I suggest you get a TEFL job in Korea. Try find some links to Korean radio and TV streams.

You will understand zero percent of it, but it does help you gain an understanding of tone and intonation.
gaijin
That BoA chick is hot.

If you want a good feel for the language, then I suggest you get a TEFL job in Korea. Try find some links to Korean radio and TV streams.

You will understand zero percent of it, but it does help you gain an understanding of tone and intonation.
Can you teach English in Korea without a degree? Cos when I looked into doing it in Japan they only took graduates
Reply 19
cheesecakebobby
Can you teach English in Korea without a degree? Cos when I looked into doing it in Japan they only took graduates

Probably...

There are some companies that will hire people without degrees however...

Latest

Trending

Trending