The Student Room Group

Spanish listening CIE IGCSE

My teachers have been telling me that since the listening's are really hard that we'll be given UMS(?) Marks. How much does this boost my score by? (I'm great at other things i just feel this is going to bring my score down)
I found this online for you ...

UMS stands for uniform mark scheme.
Each GCSE has a standard % of UMS you need for each grade - e.g. for GCSE Science you need 90% UMS or more for an A*, 80 for an A, 70 for a B etc.

The difficulty of the exam varies from exam season to exam season but the exam board wants -say - 1% of candidates to get full marks, 15% to get an A*..... 62% to get at least a C etc. So exam board takes the raw mark and converts it statistically to get a UMS mark which will give the distribution it wants. I have seen 38/50 become 100/100 in this conversion as hardly anyone inn the country got more than 38. (AQA AS General Studies Jan 2007) The mark scheme you are looking at shows that 44/60 raw became 90/100 UMS.

So basically if you score in the top percent you will be getting an A* so if you're confident of your ability you shouldn't have anything to worry about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest