The Student Room Group

AS Level Physics OCR B Coursework - How do you find out the percentage error?

How do you find out the percentage and uncertainty error from my experiment? My coursework is finding the resistivity of a constantan wire. I worked out my final figure which was very close to the actual resistivity but how do I work out the tolerences of uncertainty?

If anyone done a similar coursework before or can help in any way it would be much appreciated!
Original post by Erulia
How do you find out the percentage and uncertainty error from my experiment? My coursework is finding the resistivity of a constantan wire. I worked out my final figure which was very close to the actual resistivity but how do I work out the tolerences of uncertainty?

If anyone done a similar coursework before or can help in any way it would be much appreciated!

Percentage error:

|Actual value - calculated value| / calculated value

In case you aren't familiar with the || notation, it means you take the positive value. e.g.: If I had 3-5=-2, I would use 2.

I think uncertainty error has something to do with possible errors in the things you used (like a ruler only goes to so many millimetres). - Hopefully someone has a better explanation than I do.

Quick Reply

Latest