The Student Room Group

Desperate edexcel government and politics help needed

Hello!! :smile:

I am really panicking about the May Edexcel Politics exams now that it is all linear, and was wondering whether someone would kindly be able to send their revision notes for the AS UNIT 1 AND UNIT 2 as I'm really struggling :frown: pleaseee
Reply 1
I'm in the same boat as OP. I don't really need notes that just outline how Politics works etc. but I'm having trouble finding recent examples of policies etc. to include in my work.

Does anyone have notes with a lot of recent examples? Please PM me if you have anything... (thanks).
Original post by Innuendo
I'm in the same boat as OP. I don't really need notes that just outline how Politics works etc. but I'm having trouble finding recent examples of policies etc. to include in my work.

Does anyone have notes with a lot of recent examples? Please PM me if you have anything... (thanks).

What policies are you referring to? It's been a while since I've taken the exam but I study political science so I'll be able to help.
Reply 3
Original post by VeniViciVidi
What policies are you referring to? It's been a while since I've taken the exam but I study political science so I'll be able to help.

Well in the mark schemes/Examiner reports they always mention using recent examples to get the highest marks.

So for example I was just looking at a question saying 'Explain three policies of the modern Labour Party'.

Off the top of my head I could probably think of PFI/PPP. I'd also think of saying state intervention and back this up by mentioning Ed Milband's pledge to freeze energy prices. However I don't think this is distinct as a New Labour policy? (New Labour is supposed to intervene less).

I've already wasted money on a textbook and a revision guide.. which were published very recently yet only list very very vague concepts of what the Labour party et al. are likely to do. The author of these books seems to have made at least a couple dozen paid-for AS Politics resources so I reckon this guy is just milking it for no reason.

If I can't find good notes for Party policies I might switch to focusing on Electoral systems instead.
Reply 4
Original post by Innuendo
If I can't find good notes for Party policies I might switch to focusing on Electoral systems instead.

Electoral Systems and Democracy are the simplest sections of Unit 1, in my opinion. My old teacher didn't even teach the Party Policies section because it is so broad and difficult to pin down. Pressure Groups look simple, but the questions can be very difficult. The first time I did Unit 1, I got almost full marks on Electoral Systems but then lost loads on Pressure Groups which made my grade suffer to a C. That led to me having to take my one and only A-Level resit which thankfully improved my grade to a B.

A2 Politics is much better than AS if you ask me. :tongue:
Reply 5
hey there!

i got 2 UMS mark off an A last year, so hopefully i can be of help! I would recommend just taking the time to look up examples and learn them because those give you AO2 marks. Also, make some essay plans and learn them. In the exam its best to start with the big question because if you get stuck, you can just come back to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending