The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Single honours to joint honours?

I am EU student, and since my country's universities system is quite different, I am wondering how Joint Honours and Single honours work. If I applied for Psychology and got accepted and came to Uni, would it be possible for me to change to Joint Honours Psychology & Philosophy? Or what would be the conditions on which it would be possible?
If you take a JH degree, what you do is take three modules of each subject you take. I'm not sure how easy it would be to change, though I am under the impression that it is possible, as long as you meet the course pre-requisites. Looking at the website, there doesn't seem to be any particular subjects needed, so it would just be to do with grades, whenever it is you try to change. Otherwise, your options would be:

To contact the psychology department now and try to change before results are out

To contact them after results are out, and see if you can change then

To try and change within the first couple of weeks of starting university

To wait until the end of first year - take psychology, and as your extra modules, take the compulsory philosophy modules, which would put you in the best place for the chance to transfer for second year

Of all of them, I'd probably wait until starting, then contact the necessary departments to try and change if possible. However, I don't have the most experience of this - I've contemplated changing from JH to SH, but decided not to - so someone else may be able to give better advice than I can!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending