The Student Room Group

If Arsenal had signed Suarez in the summer

...would it have been a two horse race between Chelsea and City or would Arsenal have been able to last the pace?

What about if Chelsea had signed Rooney....?

Scroll to see replies

If Chelsea had signed Rooney, they'd have won the league at a canter.
Reply 2
What if Liverpool bought mktaryan or something and costa?
They'd have won the league (if they also signed Ozil)

But they probably wouldn't have signed Ozil
If Arsenal signed Suarez (and not Ozil): It would have been a three-way battle between Chelsea, City and Arsenal. Liverpool would still probably take 4th though (assuming they brought in a capable replacement)

If Chelsea did the Rooney-Mata swap: They'd probably have a comfortable lead in the league. United would be 6th, but Moyes would know his best XI. :coma:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
If arsenal signed Suarez they would have already won the league by now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like sr90 said, imo if Chelsea brought Rooney they would have won the title easily with Arsenal a close 2nd with Suarez.
Reply 7
Who knows since if we did sign Suarez I doubt we would have also signed Ozil. Suarez was banned for the first few games while Ozil was good. Cazorla who would have been in Ozil's position has been very average this season.
Lol what if Chelsea hadn't sold Sturridge and loaned out Lukaku?
Reply 9
He'd have caught Arsenalitis and been ****.

Arsenal once again would be scrapping for fourth spot after promising much more.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Who knows since if we did sign Suarez I doubt we would have also signed Ozil. Suarez was banned for the first few games while Ozil was good. Cazorla who would have been in Ozil's position has been very average this season.

Arsenal had been quite strong in the second half of last season without Ozil. Although Ozil played well in the first few months I'm not sure he was massively decisive to Arsenal's good form, over the full season Suarez has been worth considerably more points than Ozil has.

So I think Arsenal would have been right up there.

However a couple of years ago they had RVP who was pretty similar in quality to Suarez this season, and dominated the league, and they weren't really in the hunt. I do think Arsenal have slightly improved since then.
It's all ifs and buts, Liverpool's goals have also come from the likes of Sturridge, although Suarez has chipped in heftily
Reply 12
Tbh the better scenario would be what if Rambo and Theo didn't get injured in the Christmas period. If they'd been fit still we'd still be in the title race.
Reply 13
if if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas.
Reply 14
Original post by RtGOAT
He'd have caught Arsenalitis and been ****.

Arsenal once again would be scrapping for fourth spot after promising much more.

I think it's actually Chelsea who make the good strikers go bad...:wink:
Original post by angelfox
Tbh the better scenario would be what if Rambo and Theo didn't get injured in the Christmas period. If they'd been fit still we'd still be in the title race.

Why do so many Arsenal fans play this card every single year, making it sound like no other team in the league has injured players? I'm sure if Liverpool and City didn't have all their key players injured (or banned) they'd have a few more points on the board too. Even we'd probably have done better without half our squad injured.
Reply 16
Original post by sr90
Why do so many Arsenal fans play this card every single year, making it sound like no other team in the league has injured players? I'm sure if Liverpool and City didn't have all their key players injured (or banned) they'd have a few more points on the board too. Even we'd probably have done better without half our squad injured.

Tbh the club should be looking at why their players get injured so often.
Reply 17
Liverpool would still have got top four imho.

I think Arsenal would have battled City and Chelsea right to the death, though.
Original post by sr90

Mate, our injuries have been above and beyond anything any other team has experiences this season.

Evidently something is wrong with our preparation so it's self inflicted, but to say that AFC havent suffered from injuries more than anyone else is strange. I dont think we'd have won the league anyway, but it cost us alot of points.
If's and buts as they say.

Quick Reply

Latest