The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Poor students at the University of Exeter

So I'm not poor, but my parents would not be able to provide me with much money for living costs whilst I'm at university. The University of Exeter is one of my choices, and I was wondering if students from this type of family could afford to go to such a university? My other option if Queen's University Belfast
Reply 1
With decent budgeting and access to Student Finance, which levels this kind of financial imbalance 'more or less', this shouldn't be a thing you need to worry about. Have you done your Student Finance already and worked out rough predictions? Why would it more expensive at Exeter than elsewhere? =/ None of the costs should be extremely different, you'll be in the same boat as many students. There will always be a decent portion of pupils from every pocket of society at most of the UK universities. It's not something you should fret about, unless you have budgeted and really are far below what is needed after rent and basics, in which case you should talk to the university about 'hardship' grants and schemes.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by awe
With decent budgeting and access to Student Finance, which levels this kind of financial imbalance 'more or less', this shouldn't be a thing you need to worry about. Have you done your Student Finance already and worked out rough predictions? Why would it more expensive at Exeter than elsewhere? =/ None of the costs should be extremely different, you'll be in the same boat as many students. There will always be a decent portion of pupils from every pocket of society at most of the UK universities. It's not something you should fret about, unless you have budgeted and really are far below what is needed after rent and basics, in which case you should talk to the university about 'hardship' grants and schemes.

Cheers. I've done some research and it appears en suite residence at Exeter is at least 5000, which will take up a significant chunk of the maintenance loan. The student houses for the second and third years appear to be fairly expensive for the quality of the house. How was your experience?
Reply 3
Original post by Javaani
Cheers. I've done some research and it appears en suite residence at Exeter is at least 5000, which will take up a significant chunk of the maintenance loan. The student houses for the second and third years appear to be fairly expensive for the quality of the house. How was your experience?

Er, why do you need en suite? Of course that will be extortionate. P: I'm not actually an Exeter student, apologies, but without a doubt what I have said will still apply, these issues are not really uni-specific unless it is an Oxbridge or London university, in which different 'rules' may apply. I had an en suite in my first year of university and it was so overpriced and unnecessary as well, I only went for it as was coming from a terrible sharing situation and relished the opportunity. You know you won't be able to 'splash' on these things with your finances, so just grit your teeth and get the cheap options, at the end of the day it won't be the most important thing if you prioritise. You might appreciate having a little bit more money for other things, rather than for a slightly bigger wardrobe or a newer desk etc.
Reply 4
Original post by awe
Er, why do you need en suite? Of course that will be extortionate. P: I'm not actually an Exeter student, apologies, but without a doubt what I have said will still apply, these issues are not really uni-specific unless it is an Oxbridge or London university, in which different 'rules' may apply. I had an en suite in my first year of university and it was so overpriced and unnecessary as well, I only went for it as was coming from a terrible sharing situation and relished the opportunity. You know you won't be able to 'splash' on these things with your finances, so just grit your teeth and get the cheap options, at the end of the day it won't be the most important thing if you prioritise. You might appreciate having a little bit more money for other things, rather than for a slightly bigger wardrobe or a newer desk etc.

I personally would not be comfortable with sharing a bathroom, and it all depends on your fellow flatmates, who are allocated randomly.
Reply 5
Exeter is rather expensive. I would strongly recommend catered halls if your struggling with money. I ended up paying £4800 this year for my entire accommodation. Since this included 16 meals a week I rarely needed to buy extra food. You are likely to be eligible for a NSP bursary if your household income is low. This is up to £2500 a year. Look into this as well as jobs in the local area. Good luck, Exeter's a decent Uni :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Javaani
I personally would not be comfortable with sharing a bathroom, and it all depends on your fellow flatmates, who are allocated randomly.

Is having your own bathroom that important as to justify an extra cost of a few thousand?
If you're strapped for cash and have no access to extra bursary I really wouldn't recommend Exeter, and I'm speaking as a 3rd year at Exeter right now. It has some of the most expensive accommodation in the UK, and once you move into a house in 2nd year, you're paying rent more expensive than anywhere but London, unless you live right out on the edge of town.
Exeter is expensive compared to many cities, but if you budget right it is do-able. I'm an Exeter graduate myself, and

Some en-suites are cheaper than others (personally I think self-catered is much cheaper as you can produce some really cheap meals yourself if you shop and cook right). Also remember that rent includes ALL your bills/internet etc.

You could get a part time job which will boost your 'income' for the year - of which there are plenty available

It gets cheaper once you move off campus.

First things first - find out how much SFE you are entitled to, and then what bursaries etc. are available that you would receive from the University. Then budget it out. If you don't like the numbers first time round, try factoring in a part time job.

Don't turn it down purely on money alone!
Original post by Javaani

I shared a bathroom for the entirety of my student years, and then shared a house for the first few years of my working life thereafter.

GET OVER YOURSELF.
Original post by nonswimmer
I shared a bathroom for the entirety of my student years, and then shared a house for the first few years of my working life thereafter.

GET OVER YOURSELF.

No need to be that harsh on the OP.
In terms of sharing bathrooms, I've been to boarding school for year 12&13 and I shared a bathroom with a few friends who lived in the same corridor - it's really not as bad as you think. We had a few showers so sometimes you could hear people singing and chatting and it was actually quite funny :smile:
If the shower or something breaks, at least you'll have a topic for conversation and some memories to share with your flatmates!
Original post by nonswimmer

GET OVER YOURSELF.

Bit harsh on OP, many students don't feel comfortable sharing bathroom facilities for a whole host of reasons, so no need to judge and make OP feel negative about their choice.

I shared bathrooms in my first year. Really nothing to worry about. The shared facilities are cleaned regularly by the cleaning staff so they don't get yucky (especially knowing the bathrooms of those that lived off campus after 1st year...)

But, its a personal choice, and if OP doesn't feel comfortable with that then thats ok, many students don't. It just means that they need to find a bit of extra money to pay for the en-suite. So find out what you are entitled too, and go from there.
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
OP doesn't feel comfortable with that then thats ok, many students don't. It just means that they need to find a bit of extra money to pay for the en-suite.

This is an exciting redefinition of "poverty"!
hello sorry to butt in but I was wondering if what 'shared showers' mean? Do you not have individual shower block things? (I'm in year 12) :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by lightningdoritos
hello sorry to butt in but I was wondering if what 'shared showers' mean? Do you not have individual shower block things? (I'm in year 12) :smile:

Where 1 Shower is shared between a group of people.
If you want an individual shower/toilet to yourself - you'd go for ensuite
Reply 15
Original post by Abeed
Where 1 Shower is shared between a group of people.
If you want an individual shower/toilet to yourself - you'd go for ensuite

I believe he was asking whether its a communal shower with one shower head or are there individual shower stalls.
Original post by lightningdoritos

Original post by Chrisxzh
I believe he was asking whether its a communal shower with one shower head or are there individual shower stalls.

The showers are individual and in their own stalls. Its more like a home shower than a swimming pool, for example. Different accommodation have different types, some may be a traditional shower cubicle with glass sides, others may be a wet room. But its just you in there, you don't have to shower with anyone else. You just share the facilities with other people.

Hope that answers the question.

Dotty x
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
The showers are individual and in their own stalls. Its more like a home shower than a swimming pool, for example. Different accommodation have different types, some may be a traditional shower cubicle with glass sides, others may be a wet room. But its just you in there, you don't have to shower with anyone else. You just share the facilities with other people.

Hope that answers the question.

Dotty x

Yeah I was going to say...I'm not showering with other people haha thanks!
I also come from a fairly low income household so I get pretty good support from student finance. Accommodation at exeter takes up over half of my finance though so will definitely be getting a job. I don't really understand the Access to Exeter bursary as I've heard nothing about it and in order to apply it says just apply for student finance and agree to share info with uni, which I did. Anyone know the crack?

oh and I applied for the 3 cheapest residences and put on extra notes that I wouldn't be able to afford anything more than the 3 cheapest so hopefully will get one of my choices.. cause if not I'm screwed money-wise
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending