The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My friend does, though I don't know too much about it. She's on the bank and got trained...

That's pretty much all I know, so not much help there I'm afraid! She does recommend it as a P/T job, though sometimes finds it hard to find work when she wants it, but it's not usually much of a problem.
Reply 2
I'm on the bank at a private hospital and i had a few days shadowing another NA as my training. In September i'll have more official training but i've just been learning as i go along really. PM me with any questions about the job. xx
Reply 3
I do bank work - didn't have to do any training etc as it's my placement hospital (I'm a student midwife) - tend to do at least a shift a week.

You had to have done a manual handling course and I think there is a three day induction course (unpaid) which includes the hoists etc if you have no experience.

I enjoy it on the surgical wards, loved outpatients, don't like medical wards that much and can't stand elderly mentally infirm (done one shift specially an old lady with alzheimers and she was the sanest person on the ward)

Once you are on the bank you don't tend to get that much training, if you don't know you can ask but it's generally watch something once and go for it (or assist first then on your own) - however did a shift last week where both the NAs on the ward were bank (both of us students in our spare time) and kind of muddled through laying out a body between us - we both knew the basics and could do the washing, shrouding etc but you think we could remember what forms went where? (in case you have to do it - it's one on the pyjamas(clothes), one on the sheet, one on the medical notes and one in the pocket of the bag)

Where I work they don't use agency staff only bank (Sundays are best - time and 2/3rds. Lates is less of the bed bathing and bed making (only do it when there is mess rather than on everyone - but on some wards that's 3-4 times a shift) Earlies you can still have most of the days - I don't tend to do nights because it screws my body clock up - I'll do the ones I have to only

Latest

Trending

Trending