The Student Room Group

extreme nausea + throwing up + other things, help!

for the past 3 weeks I've felt a lot of nausea constantly. This stops me wanting to eat. When I do eat I sometimes throw up afterwards. I've lost 10lbs so far without trying to lose weight.

I burp a hell of a lot when I eat but don't throw up.

When I stand up quickly my vision goes black and I feel super dizzy (I had my blood pressure done recently and it was fine).

I've had bad constipation for the last 2 weeks with only 2 bowel movements in that time (having taken laxatives).

I also find myself needing to sleep 14 hours a day.

Anyone know what this might be? Or how I can fix it?
If you're a girl, possibility of pregnancy?
Reply 2
Have you seen a doctor? If not that seems like a good place to start! And have you tried anything for the nausea yet?

You say you haven't been eating much as your appetite isn't great, but are you trying to eat, or have you barely eaten anything for a while? I know it's hard to eat when you're nauseous, but do try! Certainly unintentional weight loss is never a good thing!

Also have you been drinking fluids? If you're not eating much, and are dehydrated as well that could be why you're constipated. Severe constipation can also cause nausea, so were you constipated before this started, or is it a result of not eating/drinking enough?

Dehydration could also be causing orthostatic hypotension. How long ago was that blood pressure taken?
Try taking your blood pressure sitting down, them stand up and retake it.

But yeah, go to the doctors (maybe an out of hours walk in centre since its easter weekend?) and they can review you. they'll at least be able to prescribe you some anti sickness tablets or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're female and sexually active these are classic early pregnancy symptoms.

Either way, best thing to do is go to your doctor and get a check up & some blood tests done.
These threads annoy me because you all, in the majority of cases, know that you need to see your GP to get a proper diagnosis/treatment.
Reply 5
besides pregnancy maybe stress?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Almost certainly not pregnant as I'm on the pill and we use condoms as well.

Original post by Green Velvet
These threads annoy me because you all, in the majority of cases, know that you need to see your GP to get a proper diagnosis/treatment.

I wanted to see if anyone on here had experienced anything similar and as I can't see a doctor until late next week at the earliest so wondered if anyone has some home-treatments that might help.

Original post by Rx_Sarcasm
Have you seen a doctor? If not that seems like a good place to start! And have you tried anything for the nausea yet?

You say you haven't been eating much as your appetite isn't great, but are you trying to eat, or have you barely eaten anything for a while? I know it's hard to eat when you're nauseous, but do try! Certainly unintentional weight loss is never a good thing!

Also have you been drinking fluids? If you're not eating much, and are dehydrated as well that could be why you're constipated. Severe constipation can also cause nausea, so were you constipated before this started, or is it a result of not eating/drinking enough?

Dehydration could also be causing orthostatic hypotension. How long ago was that blood pressure taken?
Try taking your blood pressure sitting down, them stand up and retake it.

But yeah, go to the doctors (maybe an out of hours walk in centre since its easter weekend?) and they can review you. they'll at least be able to prescribe you some anti sickness tablets or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! :smile: Yeah, I am trying to eat little but often as that seems the best way to avoid throwing up but it's still happening sometimes. And I've been drinking a lot of water to try and help with both dehydration and the constipation but it doesn't seem to do any good. :frown: I wasn't sure if this was bad enough to bother an out of hours doctor with - I'm still kinda hoping it just resolves itself :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous

I wanted to see if anyone on here had experienced anything similar and as I can't see a doctor until late next week at the earliest so wondered if anyone has some home-treatments that might help.

Fair enough, but what type of surgery doesn't offer emergency appointments? I'm sure from Tuesday they're open as usual so try and get yourself there asap. Get well soon :smile:
Reply 8
I think you are feeling well entirely because you havent eaten anything. Needing to sleep 14 hours a day? No energy. Burping and being sick is probably just empty stomach. Remember sometimes you need to eat even if you are not hungry, try something that will digest easily like soup or yoghurt?
Some of the symptoms suggest anaemia or low blood sugar.

Try eating something plain such as toast or crackers with something sweet.
If you can, get hold of rehydration sachets as these will replace the sugars and salts you've lost from the sickness.
The constipation probably won't ease until you are eating normally again.

And as you know, try and see your GP as soon as you can. Hope you get better!
A good 'home treatment' for nausea is ginger root-munch on some ginger crackers or whole root if you can get it.

If you have been nauseous for 3 weeks 'constantly' and that constipated while on laxatives, it is enough to bother a doctor. Especially with a 10lb weight loss 'without trying'. What percentage of your body weight is that? (Don't feel obligated to reply publicly, just think about it).

Electrolyte/sports drink can help prevent dehydration.

Get well soon.

Quick Reply

Latest