The Student Room Group

Friend and eating disorder?

I have two very close friends that I have been close to for four years now and everything between us is great.

Compared to both my friends I'm a little more to the under weight side I usually buy clothes ranging from sizes 6-10 while they buy clothes from size 12-16.

Hears the problem one of my friends has been saying that she has been saying she has an eating disorder for about a year now. According to her she hardly eats and throws up when she does.

At first I believed her and was extremely worried but now I feel like it's not the complete truth. I don't think she needs to lose weight but I can't judge that. The reason I'm having second thoughts about her disorder is because whenever us three or few other friends are out she eats a lot of unhealthy food and seems perfectly fine!

Her weight is often differs but nothing that anyone would say bad. I first thought that maybe she eats with us but at home finds it hard but she sometimes tells me how much junk food she had and then changes her mind and says she can't eat.

I went to her house and saw loads and loads of junk food and wrappers all over her bed which makes me question her more. The thing is I have always had a problem with eating food and find it difficult so the fact she's lyin about something like this makes me upset

Do you think I should confront her? Or am I just over analysing things?

Sorry about long paragraph

Posted from TSR Mobile
she may be lying, but eating disorders come in all sorts of forms, and some people do struggle in a more off and on way and can eat in certain circumstances and lots of food wrappers, if anything, would seem like evidence of bulimia to me, which would explain her lack of consistent weight loss as well
Reply 2
Eating disorders aren't about weight, and actually most people with an eating disorder are a normal weight. The fact she had loads of junk wrappers around would probably actually make me more suspicious that they had a problem, especially if she said she makes herself throw up. That and the fact you've said her weight fluctuates. She probably goes through cycles of under eating and then binge purging.
Don't "confront her". She doesn't need to be accused of not having a problem, or judged on her weight or food choices. This will just make her feel worse, as most sufferers fear that their problems fear that people will think that their problems are not serious enough. Maybe she does have an eating disorder, or maybe she has disordered eating, or maybe she has none of the above. However I'd question why she felt the need to say she had an eating disorder if she didn't have some sort of emotional problem. I'd suggest you ask her instead how she is feeling. Eating disorders stem from unhappiness and often a need for control, and having a friend who cares enough to be there can be very important

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending