The Student Room Group

coping with uni and children

Hi , i am starting uni in september (child) nursing. I have two kids myself and although i cannot wait to get started at uni and learning something new and exciting, i cant help feeling very guilty and selfish for leaving my children to go and do it. I have help from family and a chld minder but cant shake tthe guilty feeling jf missing out. But want to have career for my own life and sanity. I am anxious as dont know timetable so i cant organised days i will be at uni etc. I am going to glasgow csledonian uni and eondeing if anyone can offer help or advice on wat to expect. I have been to uni before but njt as full on as nursing. Judt looking for others experiences and weather its do able with balancing study an family life. Any exkerience and advice appreciated xx

Children are four and seven months
I have grandparents, husband to support me
If i want going i would be going back to full time work after mat leave anyway xx
Reply 1
The guilt would be there whether you go to uni or full time work. In fact even SAHMs feel the guilt. Guilt is part of being a parent and every rational decision you make about your and your children's future somehow causes feelings of guilt.

Aside from that you'll be fine, its an excellent thing that you are doing and there will be pros as well as cons to studying full time. The most annoying thing I've found about being a student-parent is that often timetables aren't released until the last minute so I always have anxious periods wondering whether this years timetable will fit around childcare arrangements.
Reply 2
First off, congratulations on returning to your studies! If it reassures you, my mum did all her qualifications up to PhD level with two children and zero support. It was tough and sometimes she was simply unavailable, but you also feel a sense of pride watching your parent go through that journey. I remember both her Bachelors and Doctorate graduation ceremonies being incredible experiences. I am also embarking on an undergrad degree with a 3 year old child, although like you have some familial support :smile: it's totally possible and so many have done it before you with no regrets.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for supportive words, its reassuring to know others have done this too. It is very annoying waiting to hear about time table as i cant get organised and set up a childminder and help yet! Im also worried about not having enough time to spend with kids and study too. I suppose our routine will just alter and we wilk get used to it!
Reply 4
I am like you - off to uni to study and I am giving up being a childminder to do it! I also feel very guilty leaving being around for my children and putting them in after school clubs and so on. However the time I will spend with my children will be quality time not time spent playing with little children
you are lucky to have supportive family - I can't rely on mine at all.

You can certainly check out some childminders and see what kind of availability they have and who you like. Also phone the college for days - it may not be set in stone but they must have some idea of how the term will run!

Very best wishes, Freida
Reply 5
Original post by freida20
I am like you - off to uni to study and I am giving up being a childminder to do it! I also feel very guilty leaving being around for my children and putting them in after school clubs and so on. However the time I will spend with my children will be quality time not time spent playing with little children
you are lucky to have supportive family - I can't rely on mine at all.

You can certainly check out some childminders and see what kind of availability they have and who you like. Also phone the college for days - it may not be set in stone but they must have some idea of how the term will run!

Very best wishes, Freida

What are you going to study freida? I have contacted the uni and course leader advised they do not have days etc yet!! I explained about childcare but still no!! I am doing childrens nursing i am so excited to get started! But feel guilty leaving them, feel selfish, but at the same time i keep thinking that if i wasnt going to uni i would be going bsck to work full time aswell!! Us mums cant win!
Reply 6
Original post by niamhamy
What are you going to study freida? I have contacted the uni and course leader advised they do not have days etc yet!! I explained about childcare but still no!! I am doing childrens nursing i am so excited to get started! But feel guilty leaving them, feel selfish, but at the same time i keep thinking that if i wasnt going to uni i would be going bsck to work full time aswell!! Us mums cant win!

Exeter uni - spoke to the course leader at their open day in february so am going with what she said although because my children are in school in the day I can be fairly flexible with whichever days it is as it is only morning and after school and, of course, school age children are much easier to cater for!

Don't feel guilty - it will be so worth it in the end and at the end of the day you will have a profession and well paid job which ultimately may offer flexible hours that you can work round your family.
Hi there!
I am also a mum of 2 boys they are 1 and 3, I started my nursing degree last September and I know exactly how you feel however I am sure that the family as a whole will benefit from a mummy who is happy and fulfilled, we all have to work these days to afford things and when you qualify the shift working will benefit the whole family, so dont feel too guilty now, when you tell the kids when they are older i am sure they will be very proud of a mum who has a profession! x
For all mothers who are going back to uni to study. I personally would like to congratulate you all on your motivation inspiration dedication n commitment. I will tell u all this from personal experience that once you qualify u will look back n wonder why u stressed about child minding, the guilt and so forth. Time flies and trust me you are all working towards a secure future for u n ur families...I wish I had made this move years ago but now that my children are all grown up I m working towards my goals BUT I feel I'm too old. So go out there and show some girl power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending