The Student Room Group

A Level French for MEDICINE?

For my A Level Subjects I plan to take Biology Maths Chemistry and French. However, there's an excellent sixth form that decided not to offer French anymore. I sent the head teacher an email about it and he basically said that in the long run, French would limit my options. I'm passionate about medicine but I am still open to other careers. He said that it wouldn't provide me a good back up career and I should pick something like Economics instead. I don't know a thing about Economics, I've never done it before and I'd definitely perform better in A Level French because I'm fluent. I feel like it would be a waste if I didn't hold on to it.

Can you get into Medicine with this combination? What other careers could I have with French, Bio, Maths and Chem? Is this a good combination?
If you're fluent in French, an A Level in it would be ignored by any university, or employer, worth their salt. I'd do Economics or Physics instead, or another language. I picked Economics for AS completely new to it and its not hard concept-wise and gives you a good grounding in Economics.
Reply 2
Original post by ThrillSize
For my A Level Subjects I plan to take Biology Maths Chemistry and French. However, there's an excellent sixth form that decided not to offer French anymore. I sent the head teacher an email about it and he basically said that in the long run, French would limit my options. I'm passionate about medicine but I am still open to other careers. He said that it wouldn't provide me a good back up career and I should pick something like Economics instead. I don't know a thing about Economics, I've never done it before and I'd definitely perform better in A Level French because I'm fluent. I feel like it would be a waste if I didn't hold on to it.

Can you get into Medicine with this combination? What other careers could I have with French, Bio, Maths and Chem? Is this a good combination?

I have no idea what your head teacher is talking about. Two of my friends have got into medicine with those EXACT SAME subject combinations! In fact in the interviews they asked one of my mates about their A level choices and she said that it gave her a broader and more cultured mind than those who just focused on science :smile:

Besides, med schools only want chemistry as an essential plus biology. So you are perfectly alright where you stand! Can you not go to another college/sixth form?
Reply 3
Original post by Alludeen1
If you're fluent in French, an A Level in it would be ignored by any university, or employer, worth their salt. I'd do Economics or Physics instead, or another language. I picked Economics for AS completely new to it and its not hard concept-wise and gives you a good grounding in Economics.

Technically they will never know because I have no French roots. I was just born there and lived there as a child. I never speak it but I remember the language and can speak/read/write/understand it when required. What do you personally think is the most challenging aspect of studying A Level Economics? Also sorry if this is a stupid question, but is economics heavy on Maths?
Reply 4
Original post by Gulzar
I have no idea what your head teacher is talking about. Two of my friends have got into medicine with those EXACT SAME subject combinations! In fact in the interviews they asked one of my mates about their A level choices and she said that it gave her a broader and more cultured mind than those who just focused on science :smile:

Besides, med schools only want chemistry as an essential plus biology. So you are perfectly alright where you stand! Can you not go to another college/sixth form?
Ah that's a relief! Thank you for letting me know it's perfectly possible. I have other offers but I'm just really disappointed about this Sixth Form because it offers extra things that no other Sixth Forms offer (very strong contacts with Oxbridge and even their students, various firms and excellent work experience placements etc.)
Original post by ThrillSize
Technically they will never know because I have no French roots. I was just born there and lived there as a child. I never speak it but I remember the language and can speak/read/write/understand it when required. What do you personally think is the most challenging aspect of studying A Level Economics? Also sorry if this is a stupid question, but is economics heavy on Maths?

Do you not want to stretch yourself a bit more? I'm sure they wouldn't find out that you grew up in France, as you said, so you don't have to.

The ONLY maths in economics AS Level is basic percentage changes i.e. working out how much good A's price has changed. The most challenging aspect? The time pressure and exam technique because its not about how clever you are its about how you answer the questions which is the annoying bit for me. Also, for the macro section they expect you to have a general (and I mean basic really) understanding of whats been happening recently (they say 10 years but no need really) in the UK economy. Basically the recession. They don't question you on it but if you include relevant real world examples like real wage decreases in the UK and inflation/interest rate changes data you will really impress the examiners.

If you don't know anything about economics (like I did) it gives you a good intro and its also a well-respected A Level so its definitely not considered mickey-mousey.
I'm doing the exact same subjects (Maths, Chem, Bio, French) at AS right now and I also plan to do Medicine. You will never be looked down upon at any medical school for taking a language over a third science (fact), and in some cases it can boost your application - UCL I think especially like it if you've got a language as well. Don't take Economics if you're not interested or you think you'd do much better in French because that's pointless. I'd go as far as to say that Economics is more likely to be 'ignored' by a medical school than French is.
Reply 7
Original post by TotalerReinfall
I'm doing the exact same subjects (Maths, Chem, Bio, French) at AS right now and I also plan to do Medicine. You will never be looked down upon at any medical school for taking a language over a third science (fact), and in some cases it can boost your application - UCL I think especially like it if you've got a language as well. Don't take Economics if you're not interested or you think you'd do much better in French because that's pointless. I'd go as far as to say that Economics is more likely to be 'ignored' by a medical school than French is.

Thank you so much! I agree with you. I've decided to stick with A Level French. If I were to drop my 4rth subject anyway, I might as well pick a subject I know I'd definitely perform better at. That headteacher is extremely manipulative and desperate for top students. Just a word of advice for anybody reading this: Do NOT let anybody force you to take an A Level that you are uncomfortable with -especially if it's just a fourth option subject. You need to enjoy it to stay motivated.

Quick Reply

Latest