The Student Room Group

Social life when commuting to a London uni?

So I'm off to university in September, and it looks like I'll be going to City University. This means I'll be making a 1.5 hour long commute to and from uni and I won't be spending time with people in halls, or student accommodation etc. I'm really worried that this will have an impact on my social life, as everyone else will have groups of friends who they live with or live near, whereas I'll be an hour and a half away and may become isolated. Can anyone that has commuted to uni like this give me an insight into what it's like socially, as I'd like to be able to have some good friends who I can go out with often, rather than ones who I only see at uni. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Maybe student unions would help?
Thanks for any replies!
Reply 1
I won't lie. It's going to be a mare.

If you play sports or like to stay out late, it's going to be really tough - the only thing you can really do is crash at friends' halls or flats every time you stay late.
I'm the same as you, I live too close for uni accommodation so I'll have to commute :s-smilie: My older sister did the same when she was at uni however, and she seemed to get by fine. There'll probably be other people who don't live in the halls and commute like you, so it's probably easiest making friends with them, but all in all it shouldn't prohibit your social life. It's just the thing that you have to consider you live faraway when you're going out, so whilst everyone else has say, a ten minute journey, yours is a lot longer. I don't think you should worry about it too much though, I think uni will be full of all sorts of people, so you're bound to get along with and connect with some people :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yeah my friends go to London and commute, they don't really have much of a uni social life ngl. One has a little more luck, but as above the main issue is that you can't really stay out late or much as you commute.

If I had gone to London I would have lived there anyway even if I am close. I mean if you put the effort in it should work out!
Reply 4
Hey

What are you studying? It would be helpful to know your contact hours.

You can still make friends with people on your course, and join societies etc. I'm not at uni but I live in London and have a daily 4 hour commute to work, yet I still manage to make time to see friends. Mostly it's on weekends, but I go out a couple of nights a week as well, I usually meet up with them around 7pm but make sure to get back by 1am since I have to get enough sleep for the next day! So although I see my friends less often, it's definitely still possible. You just have to balance your time and work out what's right for you.
Reply 5
Original post by txo
Hey

What are you studying? It would be helpful to know your contact hours.

You can still make friends with people on your course, and join societies etc. I'm not at uni but I live in London and have a daily 4 hour commute to work, yet I still manage to make time to see friends. Mostly it's on weekends, but I go out a couple of nights a week as well, I usually meet up with them around 7pm but make sure to get back by 1am since I have to get enough sleep for the next day! So although I see my friends less often, it's definitely still possible. You just have to balance your time and work out what's right for you.

I'll be doing electronic engineering, 4 hours?! I don't think I could live with that.
I live 20 minutes away from university (also in London) but I'm going to stay in halls regardless. I'll also be studying at City, with the Cass department.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply