The Student Room Group

WHY do I still have acne at 20!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kabloomybuzz
So that would be one medication out of lots of options...

It's the standard one recommended for acne in the UK.................................................................................................
Ask your Dr. for a referral to a dermatologist. Also, be cautious of the advice given to you on this forum because your skin/body will react differently.

What type of acne is it? Are the spots cystic/whiteheads/blackheads/pustule? Where on your face are they primarily?

In the meantime, buy a cleanser with salicylic acid/lactic acid/glycolic acid and a simple moisturiser to use day and night. Make sure your make-up is removed.

I agree that roaccutane is a last resort (although I haven't had personal experience) and antibiotics can cause stomach problems etc. I also concur that your diet may be the issue. Lower your intake of foods with sugar and dairy whilst eating more fish and green vegetables (obviously alongside other balanced foods).
Thanks for the support fellow students. This guy thinks he knows best. Maybe hes a foreign doctor, but I wouldnt even bet on that.

Dont forget the sun is a great vitamin too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by spleenharvester
Same problem here. I used Quinoderm for 3 years which kept me 95% clear. Then recently became allergic to it and haven't found an alternative.

I hate quinoderm! Makes my skin feel awful! Even when I moisturise... it doesn't feel dry or anything, can't describe it but there's just something not right about it.

I don't want to use antibiotics.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 20 and I STILL have acne. I hate it so much. It is only mild, but my skin is absolutely disgusting with these spots. Hideous. I hate it so much it really gets me down and I don't understand why it hasn't gone. I have had it for at least 7 years. It's not fair, I'm not a teenager anymore.

I have tried benzoyl peroxide, I have tried borth control... nothing. Sometimes I just wanna rip my skin off I hate it. I do not wanna try antibiotics as it's not a long term solution and I'd rather avoid antibiotics.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's ANYONE else out there in my boat? I seem to be the only one around me which just makes me feel even more ****. I thought I could leave this kind of crap in secondary school. Make up only goes so far.

Same here but I'm a guy. I have literally tried everything including all the drugs and laser surgery but it does nothing.

I know that doesn't help you but least you know you're not alone - I know how you feel. I have a lot of scarring although most of it isn't visible but still, I hate it also.

Roaccutane was never the best option for me as I have eczema as well (which is worse than having acne if you have it bad, believe me) so the last thing I wanted was to make that worse.

Maybe you should look into laser surgery, it does work for some people. Although I only saw a temporary mild improvement. Might be worth a consultation. I couldn't really afford more than a few treatments but it was worth a shot I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I hate quinoderm! Makes my skin feel awful! Even when I moisturise... it doesn't feel dry or anything, can't describe it but there's just something not right about it.

I don't want to use antibiotics.

What strength did you use? I found 2.5% did absolutely nothing, 10% was just appalling, and 5% was just right. I think I know the feeling though, I get it with tea tree-based stuff - sort of a skin tightness?

Also, have you tried either http://www.acne.org/epsom-salt-reviews-1067/ or http://www.acne.org/queen-helene-mint-julep-masque-reviews-252/ ? They're the two highest reviewed things on there that you can get in the UK if I remember correctly :smile: I've ordered both as a "last resort" because literally nothing else has worked in the slightest.

I think the epsom salts have some potential, because they're just hydrated MgSO4, nothing nasty in there.
I am 20 and I STILL have acne. I hate it so much. It is only mild, but my skin is absolutely disgusting with these spots. Hideous. I hate it so much it really gets me down and I don't understand why it hasn't gone. I have had it for at least 7 years. It's not fair, I'm not a teenager anymore.

I have tried benzoyl peroxide, I have tried borth control... nothing. Sometimes I just wanna rip my skin off I hate it. I do not wanna try antibiotics as it's not a long term solution and I'd rather avoid antibiotics.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's ANYONE else out there in my boat? I seem to be the only one around me which just makes me feel even more ****. I thought I could leave this kind of crap in secondary school. Make up only goes so far.

I'm another with everlasting acne... it cleared up when I was in Germany for a few months, back to the UK and BAM it's reappeared within five days :frown: figuring it must be either air or diet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess you could include me as well as i've been suffering with acne for almost 10 years now.
The worst thing in my situation is that i've tried roaccutane/isotretinoin 3 times but to no avail, which means that there's actually no hope left for me other than to just to wait it out and see if it ever does decide to go away... :frown:
Original post by Solid.Snake
I guess you could include me as well as i've been suffering with acne for almost 10 years now.
The worst thing in my situation is that i've tried roaccutane/isotretinoin 3 times but to no avail, which means that there's actually no hope left for me other than to just to wait it out and see if it ever does decide to go away... :frown:

How much other stuff have you tried? Acne.org's review section is pretty fantastic for finding new treatments. But yeah I know what you mean, I've spent ages doing my research and aside from Quinoderm have found absolutely nothing that works.
Reply 29

I'm 27, male, and don't go outside anymore for this reason. You have my sympathies.
I've had acne for about 11 years now, I'm 21 years old. It still gets me quite upset but it's not as bad as it was years ago. I've tried a variety of things, including prescriptions from the doctor. Not the hardcore stuff people on this thread have tried but a few different things. Only antibiotics worked and you're right, it's not good long term because 3 years later I'm still with spots. Anyway, I am currently on a really basic routine that seems to be making a difference. On a morning I fill the sink with hot water or use the hot shower, soak a flannel in the water and scrub at my face with it. I don't go too hard but decently. Wet face with hot water again and then finish with cold water. I moisturise it when I've patted it dry. At night, I do the same thing but putting Palmolive soap on the cloth too. Palmolive soap, I believe, has palm oil in it, it's good for the skin and it REALLY makes my skin feel clean especially with the flannel. I don't use soap in the morning because I'm wondering if using soap is actually making it worse. I still have some spots but my skin has never felt smoother and it just looks generally brighter and clearer (where there aren't spots). Before, I felt that I would look grubby even after a wash as I used to only wash with hands, using an exfoliating cream twice a weak. But now I'm exfoliating 'naturally' and exposing my skin to fewer products I feel I've really come along. I'm going to persist with it because I have a lot of confidence in it. I recommend you consider something like this OP. I thought a flannel would make it worse as I was told it did when my acne was awful at 10 years old but I can feel so much difference.
Reply 31
So, I would say for persistent acne the only cure is medical intervention. The chemist remedies are expensive and largely ineffective. Insist your GP takes your concerns on board and if what he prescribes does help quickly ask for hospital referral. I personally found roaccutane a miracle cure where all else had failed - but I know it is a powerful and controversial drug. Once bit of advise though is not to prod and poke at spots, this is a sure way to irreversible scarring. Good luck.
you could always try an antibacterial soap like dial
I have pretty bad skin too! My current holy grail routine is wash with charcoal soap bar first thing in the morning, use a mattifying moisturiser (asda do an amazing one for £2) then i use garnier micellar water (the combination skin one) to take my makeup off. I try and alternate how i wash my face in the shower but i use a mixture between clean and clear and asda’s skin system range. If im going to use a face mask i use lush’s either cupcake or the rosy one as it helps massively with redness. Lush products are really good i use the tea tree water toner and even though i dont have oily skin it isnt drying at all its refreshing and the best toner ive tried so far:smile:
Original post by mackdaddyo
you could always try an antibacterial soap like dial

Original post by hananahh_
I have pretty bad skin too! My current holy grail routine is wash with charcoal soap bar first thing in the morning, use a mattifying moisturiser (asda do an amazing one for £2) then i use garnier micellar water (the combination skin one) to take my makeup off. I try and alternate how i wash my face in the shower but i use a mixture between clean and clear and asda’s skin system range. If im going to use a face mask i use lush’s either cupcake or the rosy one as it helps massively with redness. Lush products are really good i use the tea tree water toner and even though i dont have oily skin it isnt drying at all its refreshing and the best toner ive tried so far:smile:

Please avoid bumping up threads that are years old. Thank-you. :smile:
Original post by Electricity
May not be acne anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adults get acne too; they don't magically disappear forever at 20. Most people still get occasional spots as an adult and that's normal. I know of a few women who didn't get any acne until they were 25 or older.
Just to add to my previous comment here, even though I know it was from years ago.

I still stand by trying Clinique as I still use it, however what has really worked for me was going on the birth control pill Yasmin. Obviously not ideal for males but if there are any girls who haven't thought about this, and have tried other options, I promise you it is worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest