The Student Room Group

WHY do I still have acne at 20!!!!

I am 20 and I STILL have acne. I hate it so much. It is only mild, but my skin is absolutely disgusting with these spots. Hideous. I hate it so much it really gets me down and I don't understand why it hasn't gone. I have had it for at least 7 years. It's not fair, I'm not a teenager anymore.

I have tried benzoyl peroxide, I have tried borth control... nothing. Sometimes I just wanna rip my skin off I hate it. I do not wanna try antibiotics as it's not a long term solution and I'd rather avoid antibiotics.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's ANYONE else out there in my boat? I seem to be the only one around me which just makes me feel even more ****. I thought I could leave this kind of crap in secondary school. Make up only goes so far.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Darling I know your pain I have the exact same issue. My acne is really bad for my age especially when I have all these beautiful, skinny girls in Uni classes xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have always had worse skin than other people my age, and although it's much better than it was when I was in my teens, it is sometimes still a bit of a problem (particularly just before/during my period). I have recently started using the Clinique 3-step blemish kit and I can tell the difference. I could tell a difference with a week. My skin still has a way to go, but it feels as though I'm winning now for the first time since I was about 10 years old! So that is something that I would recommend you give a go! It is quite expensive though.. £25 for a set, but it is worth it, I promise.
Reply 3
Try Alpha Hydroxy Acids. Did wonders for me, along with Duac and some face soap.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I have always had worse skin than other people my age, and although it's much better than it was when I was in my teens, it is sometimes still a bit of a problem (particularly just before/during my period). I have recently started using the Clinique 3-step blemish kit and I can tell the difference. I could tell a difference with a week. My skin still has a way to go, but it feels as though I'm winning now for the first time since I was about 10 years old! So that is something that I would recommend you give a go! It is quite expensive though.. £25 for a set, but it is worth it, I promise.

I second this.

I had severe acne a few years ago, and these Clinique products helped alot.
Reply 5
I'm the same, unfortunately. Lymecycline can clean up my skin a bit, so I take that now and then. I hear roaccutine completely nukes spots, maybe you should look into that?
I know you don't want to try antibiotics, and I understand that, but what about a topical antibiotic lotion. I used dalacin t and it worked really well, and because you're only using it externally, it benefits that area and doesn't give you the side effects or problems of long term oral antibiotics. Ask your doctor

Another thing that helped me was taking superdrugs total woman multivitamins. It means you're getting the vitamins you might be low on and they also help level out your hormones.
Roaccutane. I had spots from age 12 to age 21, tried loads of things that barely worked.

You should also consider eating a dairy free - low sugar diet.

EDIT - Do not accept anything for spots from doctors that isnt roaccutane, it will just mess up your stomach and do long term damage for very little reward.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I am 20 and I STILL have acne. I hate it so much. It is only mild, but my skin is absolutely disgusting with these spots. Hideous. I hate it so much it really gets me down and I don't understand why it hasn't gone. I have had it for at least 7 years. It's not fair, I'm not a teenager anymore.

I have tried benzoyl peroxide, I have tried borth control... nothing. Sometimes I just wanna rip my skin off I hate it. I do not wanna try antibiotics as it's not a long term solution and I'd rather avoid antibiotics.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's ANYONE else out there in my boat? I seem to be the only one around me which just makes me feel even more ****. I thought I could leave this kind of crap in secondary school. Make up only goes so far.

Me!

I'm against mainstream products now because I feel like there's so much chemicals within them they seem to cancel each other out and as a result make your skin dependent on them. Natural products seem to be the best and you just have to raid your kitchen for them so save money :smile:

Every night I squeeze some lemon juice on my hand and rub it on my face every night and then olive oil on top because it helps to get rid of acne and really good especially if you've got scarring as well. Apparently if you do this nightly for two weeks straight (haven't been able to do it yet - too lazy lol) it really clears up your skin so try that. The lemon juice initially burns but it'll pass after a few minutes, the burning just is on the broken skin but see it as the acid eating away at all the crap on your skin. Sudocream's good too if you rub it on your face every night before bed.
(edited 10 years ago)
May not be acne anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 24 and I still have acne. I know that's of no comfort to you at all but I'm sure I'm not the only one at this age still struggling with it.
Original post by SmashingChap
Roaccutane. I had spots from age 12 to age 21, tried loads of things that barely worked.

EDIT - Do not accept anything for spots from doctors that isnt roaccutane, it will just mess up your stomach and do long term damage for very little reward.

And roacc is totally safe yeah? Ur such an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Original post by FrozenBeak
And roacc is totally safe yeah?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But yes, getting roaccutane isn't as simple as just asking for a prescription. Its for severe acne that responds to nothing else, requires a referral to a dermatologist and can have some nasty side effects. It is very much a last resort.
(edited 10 years ago)
Same problem here. I used Quinoderm for 3 years which kept me 95% clear. Then recently became allergic to it and haven't found an alternative.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz

But yes, getting roaccutane isn't as simple as just asking for a prescription. Its for severe acne that responds to nothing else, requires a referral to a dermatologist and can have some nasty side effects. It is very much a last resort.

Made me angry. I completed the course at 75mg a day a year ago and it was a great cure. But its not safe. I had nose bleeds, extremely dry lips, dry face, hands and eyes. It also makes your skin thinner and gives you bad psychological thoughts. You have to be checked up on a lot, regular blood tests and you as the individual have to be very responsible of your health and how you are feeling.

Its a last resort and shouldnt be treated like a regular prescription drug.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
And roacc is totally safe yeah?

when did I say it was totally safe? Maybe learn to read before becoming irate? Roacc isn't safe but its the only thing thats worth the side effects.

Personally having taken a range of things for acne I would only ever recommend roacc or significant diet changes. Roacc is pretty brutal on the body but generally one course and you're sorted. I had very dry skin and joint pain but that went after the treatment was done, and since then my skin has been great. However the other stuff the doctor prescribed me has left my stomach pretty weak and its still recovering now, 3 years on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Made me angry. I completed the course at 75mg a day a year ago and it was a great cure. But its not safe. I had nose bleeds, extremely dry lips, dry face, hands and eyes. It also makes your skin thinner and gives you bad psychological thoughts. You have to be checked up on a lot, regular blood tests and you as the individual have to be very responsible of your health and how you are feeling.

Its a last resort and shouldnt be treated like a regular prescription drug.

This, this and this. Roacc is some nasty stuff. Even as someone who's been unsuccessful finding any other treatment I would never try it.
when did I say it was totally safe? Maybe learn to read before becoming irate? Roacc isn't safe but its the only thing thats worth the side effects.

Personally having taken a range of things for acne I would only ever recommend roacc or significant diet changes. Roacc is pretty brutal on the body but generally one course and you're sorted. I had very dry skin and joint pain but that went after the treatment was done, and since then my skin has been great. However the other stuff the doctor prescribed me has left my stomach pretty weak and its still recovering now, 3 years on.

Just remember that's only your experience, and plenty of people would have had no problems at all with what might have been prescribed before, which generally is topical and oral andibiptics or, for women, dianette.
You can't generalise your experience to everyone else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just remember that's only your experience, and plenty of people would have had no problems at all with what might have been prescribed before, which generally is topical and oral andibiptics or, for women, dianette.
You can't generalise your experience to everyone else.

My ex gf and several friends have been prescribed the same stuff and we all came away with bad stomachs, its called Tetraysl I think.
Out of the 4 people I know who've used roacc we've all had difficult but overall positive experiences.
My ex gf and several friends have been prescribed the same stuff and we all came away with bad stomachs, its called Tetraysl I think.
Out of the 4 people I know who've used roacc we've all had difficult but overall positive experiences.

So that would be one medication out of lots of options...

Quick Reply

Latest