The Student Room Group

Guilt eating me up

Hi all

So about a month ago I was driving home from my new job at 3am with my co worker in the car. We were going down a winding country road and there was a motorbike in front of us going really slow (20mph maybe) so I did something REALLY stupid and over took him.
As I mentioned before this was a winding road with tons of blind corners. If a car had come the other way I would of without a doubt hit them straight on and possibly killed us all.

LUCKILY nothing came.

This was a month ago yet I still lie awake at night and curse my stupidity. How can I let go of the guilt?

Help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FrostedRose
Hi all

So about a month ago I was driving home from my new job at 3am with my co worker in the car. We were going down a winding country road and there was a motorbike in front of us going really slow (20mph maybe) so I did something REALLY stupid and over took him.
As I mentioned before this was a winding road with tons of blind corners. If a car had come the other way I would of without a doubt hit them straight on and possibly killed us all.

LUCKILY nothing came.

This was a month ago yet I still lie awake at night and curse my stupidity. How can I let go of the guilt?

Help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 3 a.m on a empty country road and what's the odds there's a car coming from the opposite direction? I bet if it was rush hour you would have not done the same thing. People do what you do all the time, just a routine passing a car. Nothing came of it so I wouldn't worry too about it. Just drive safe in the future and it will go away. I remember being in the same situation going down a winding road and the road wasn't big enough so a 2 cars so we had to swerve to the side to avoid a collision. It's just a fact that happens and everything turned out fine.
Reply 2
I just can't escape the "what if" ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My mother recently showed me a detailed video of a staged car crash (made to rise driving safety) and I combine that with my situation In my head and it freaks me out big time. So much so I dread driving country roads. Which sucks cause my work and my boyfriends house is at the end of ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish hypothetical manslaughter was all I had to feel guilty about right now. Just learn from it and move on.
Reply 5
Learn from it. At least you now realise trying to kill bikers is bad. So don't do it again.

If you're not a confident or experienced driver then consider further training. I think the AA do some, or you could just talk to your old instructor. If you haven't already done Pass Plus that has a module on country driving.

You could even do a CBT to learn more about how bikers feel, or find a friend with a bike who will let you go on the back (where are you? If you have no biker friends someone from the motorbike soc might live nearby and help). Bikesye are more vulnerable road users. I think the official highway code order goes pedestrians, cyclists, motorcycles then cars and you should always consider the effect of your actions and take care around more vulnerable users.

But remember how bad you feel now and think about how much worse it will feel to actually cause an accident. It's also expensive as you'll lose your no claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I don't know the road obviously, but I drive on country roads all the time. It's normal to have to overtake slow moving farm vehicles and things.

I find it's often easier at night, because you would see the headlights of an approaching vehicle which obviously couldn't in the daytime.

I'm not sure what you feel guilty about? If you've realised what you did was unsafe then just take more care in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending