The Student Room Group

what does an optometrist do?

Hello!
Can you describe me please the daily routine of an optometrist?
Also:
-where do optometrists work? In boots? GPs? Clinics? Else?
-if you work in a shop that also sells optics, are you involved in sales as well?
-are women prefered?
-do you get patients refered by GPs?
-do you prescribe eye drugs?
-do you handle eye trauma?
-what ophthalmologists do more than you?
-do you need to memorize many things?
-are there opportunities to work part time evenings? Weekends?
Thanks
Original post by studos
Hello!
Can you describe me please the daily routine of an optometrist?
Also:
-where do optometrists work? In boots? GPs? Clinics? Else?
-if you work in a shop that also sells optics, are you involved in sales as well?
-are women prefered?
-do you get patients refered by GPs?
-do you prescribe eye drugs?
-do you handle eye trauma?
-what ophthalmologists do more than you?
-do you need to memorize many things?
-are there opportunities to work part time evenings? Weekends?
Thanks

- Optometrists can work in places like Boots or Specsavers (ie high street Optometrists), in 'small business' practise, or in hospitals. There may be some openings for GP sessions although these are much less common. The majority work in high street places.

- Most optometrists will be involved in sales in one way or another

- Women are not preferred, but most optometry courses have more women than men (apparently women seem to like healthcare jobs better)

- You might get referrals from GPs, but I think it's more likely to be along the lines of a GP saying 'you need an eye test to be sure' and leaving it to the patient to sort one out.

- I don't THINK optoms are allowed to prescribe things. I think we have to refer/recommend things to their GP.

- You will get patients who have had eye trauma in the past, but you aren't dealing with them at the time the trauma has occurred.

- I believe ophthalmologists are able to perform surgery on the eye such as laser eye surgery, removing cataracts and so on.

- you need to know a ton of stuff during the course, but after the course, frankly, most patients are completely routine and it's a case of memorising what you need to do with most patients and then perhaps refreshing your memory for patients who have anything out of the ordinary

- part-time work is really common (given how many people in the profession are women, and lots of women work part time if they have children), and most high-street places are open at the weekends, so you can certainly work weekends too.

Quick Reply

Latest