The Student Room Group

Best political party for our generation (under 25s)

What's the best political party to vote for in terms of giving support to under 25s? Especially with regards to being able to afford our own housing, jobs - a party that will protect our interests.

My boss says Green, but I just want to hear other people's opinion.

Scroll to see replies

UKIP (in my opinion)
(edited 10 years ago)
Lib/Lab/Con are all far too concerned with the grey-vote to give a toss about anyone under the age of 25 so that rules them out.

None of the other parties, to my knowledge, have come out with a strong, pro-young people agenda so, tbh just vote on other issues like the EU/environment/voting reform/etc.
Original post by thecat23
What's the best political party to vote for in terms of giving support to under 25s? Especially with regards to being able to afford our own housing, jobs - a party that will protect our interests.

Quite honestly, none of them.
If you're on the left-wing I honestly think the Green Party is probably the best way to go, as they seemed most focused on actually making the key changes in our society.
Reply 5

There's no one answer really.

The best party with regards to being able to afford housing is the one willing to build the most houses arguably so that's Labour and the Lib Dems (and probably Greens).

When it comes to jobs it depends how you regard state non-jobs but for fostering private sector employment it's hard to argue with the results of the coalition, we're back to 611,000 job vacancies (the trend is upward) which is in the historical peak range of 600,000-700,000. So Tories and Lib Dems.

For utilities it again depends on your flavour. The Tories want more competition and to scrap taxation to drive down prices while the Greens would bring utilities into public ownership removing however much profit they make.

For taxation as young people it's most beneficial to support a higher tax threshold, that's something the Tories and Lib Dems have done. Labour and the Greens support a higher minimum wage though.

Green is possibly the worst way to go if you want to afford housing, get a job etc.

Going through their manifesto:

-Raise taxes - Pretty obvious why that would make it harder to afford things, but rises in business taxes will also suppress job creation. You can't hire someone with the money you're paying in tax.

- Raise minimum wage. On the face of it a positive policy, but if you double the minimum wage you halve the number of minimum wage jobs that an employer can afford to provide. They also don't seem to take into account the effect of their increased taxes on the takehome pay.

-'Maximum wages' the idea of capping the wage of the highest paid member of an organisation in the UK at 10x the lowest paid. For any large business, this will push all senior jobs abroad. This will in turn mean that tax incomes drop, which will cause the Greens to follow their go-to plan to increase government income. Higher taxes.

- Repeal all restrictions on trade union activity. See the entire 1970s for why that's a terrible idea.

- Large increases to the state pension- Guess who will be taxed to pay for that?

- Financial Transactions tax. - Banks can move. They can take 10% of the entire country's tax income with them, as well as tens of thousands of jobs. Which will leave young people paying even higher taxes to support the jobless and make up the difference.

- Raise fuel duty by 8% per year. Every year. Forever. Assuming constant cost of the actual petrol (which is highly unlikely), by 2020, prices be near £2 a litre for petrol. Running a car will be impossible for younger people. Also, fuel is used to transport basically all goods, so you can expect anything which has to be moved within the UK to cost more.

-Eco-taxes on pesticides and artificial fertilisers. Another nice bump in food prices. How keen are you on noodles? You may be eating lots of them.

Essentially, the greens would kill the economy in pursuit of equality and greenness. (they're basically old labour with a tree fetish).

I expect that a party will support a generation provided that they recieve a lot of votes from that generation. The Labour Party has the greatest support from those under the age of 25, it seems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572187/The-secrets-ballot-box-Tories-earn-Labour-voters-rent-home-Lib-Dems-better-educated-Ukip-voters-white-retired.html

So I wanna say..... Labour.
The Monster Raving Loony Party- first to advocate the vote for 16 and 17 year olds, advocate commercial radio and all day licensing, pet passports, and policies still relevant to modern society and young people today such as the introduction of pram lanes in shopping centres and the 99p coin.
Reply 9
Please not Green.

Green are the party of anti-growth and are technophobic (they oppose nuclear energy).
Look at their polices and it is obvious they are even more tax heavy than Labour. They'd send our economy back into the dark ages in left unchecked.
Conservative. Because every party seeks to create more of its own voters when it gets into power, and it's much better to be a typical tory voter. Labour creates welfare dependency and piles the country into debt, Lib Dems haven't got a clue, Conservatives are the only proper party left.

Greens/SWP/BNP/UKIP and so on are a waste of a vote.

For today's young people, the things we should actually be looking at are whether the party is going to effectively manage the national liabilities we'll all be paying for in the future, and whether it's being sensible about pension provisions for the growing elderly population we'll also be paying for. None of them are remotely perfect but the Conservatives are cutting public spending at the necessary rate and it's in their interests to promote the creation of more Conservative voters (the last thing any government wants to do is turn the population into the typical voting type of another party).
Original post by barnetlad
The Monster Raving Loony Party- first to advocate the vote for 16 and 17 year olds, advocate commercial radio and all day licensing, pet passports, and policies still relevant to modern society and young people today such as the introduction of pram lanes in shopping centres and the 99p coin.

A revolutionary party of the people and the only hope for our broken society.
Probably the Conservatives or UKIP. While the parties promising free stuff might seem appealing, remember that as a young person you are still going to be around when the bill comes due. Piling on the debt, and suppressing economic growth, with higher spending and taxes transfers wealth from the young to the old.
Reply 13
A good point, given that pensions are the most pressing crisis the best long term solution is to vote for the party who mandates that you give the highest pension contribution (to keep the cost to the state minimal).
I'd have to go with Greens, or possibly SNP if you're Scottish.
Original post by andrew2209
If you're on the left-wing I honestly think the Green Party is probably the best way to go, as they seemed most focused on actually making the key changes in our society.

If by 'the key changes' you mean ruining the economy with with suicidal, anti-business, anti-affluence measures.

It's a wonder why they are the only party taking that line...

As someone who wants to live in a thriving economy where I can get a job and afford to live reasonably well, I think I'll pass.
Reply 16
Original post by Rinsed
If by 'the key changes' you mean ruining the economy with with suicidal, anti-business, anti-affluence measures.

It's a wonder why they are the only party taking that line...

As someone who wants to live in a thriving economy where I can get a job and afford to live reasonably well, I think I'll pass.

Actually the Respect Party and the Social Workers Party are like that too.

One thing you forgot though is anti-growth and development.
Green.
Original post by Falcatas
Actually the Respect Party and the Social Workers Party are like that too.

One thing you forgot though is anti-growth and development.

This is all true.

I genuinely wonder if most of the people who vote Green actually know what they stand for, or whether they just see them as some cuddly, harmless, environmental party.
Not a party but a coalition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending