The Student Room Group

Functional group

furfural.png
I was told to name functional groups in this molecule.
But cycloalkene is not a functional group here. Why is this?
The ''alkene'' (or rather the C=C) is part of a bigger functional group class.
Cycloalkene is a name not a functional group, when you have a carbon ring with double lines it is benzene also known as a phenyl group.
Reply 3
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Cycloalkene is a name not a functional group, when you have a carbon ring with double lines it is benzene also known as a phenyl group.

Original post by EierVonSatan
The ''alkene'' (or rather the C=C) is part of a bigger functional group class.

Thanks, does that mean that cycloalkane is also not a functional group, but a member of the alkanes?
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Thanks, does that mean that cycloalkane is also not a functional group, but a member of the alkanes?

Err. I just consider it a subset of alkanes, yes.
Reply 5
Original post by Picture~Perfect

phenyl rings/benzene are always 6 carbon rings. The ring in the original post has 5 so I'm not sure what thats called but it looks similar to a pentose sugar... :s-smilie:
Original post by gapyearstudent
phenyl rings/benzene are always 6 carbon rings. The ring in the original post has 5 so I'm not sure what thats called but it looks similar to a pentose sugar... :s-smilie:

A five membered ring with an oxygen and two double bonds is called a furan :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by EierVonSatan
A five membered ring with an oxygen and two double bonds is called a furan :smile:

ahh thankyou :smile:
Reply 8
Yes it would be a furan and a aldehyde, or 2 alkene groups, an ether group and an aldehyde

Quick Reply

Latest