[In background:]
(oh, oh, oh
Yeah, yeah, yeah)
And you know, I know, you know I'll remember you,
And I know, you know, I hope you'll remember how we danced, how we danced"

What even?
Original post by Quantex
It has been this way since the 1980s.

It's been this way since the dawn of time. People at the time criticised Mozart for being vulgar and populist. Since the Early Modern age, music has been about making money, and every so often a really good musician would come along and make brilliant songs, but the rest was just awful hastily written trash. There are plenty of decent songs, but as always you have to look for them amidst the haystack of filler.
Reply 82
who gives a ****, listen whatever the **** you like and stop complaining dam
Reply 83
No it hasn't: you just lack the initiative to actively seek out music born of lyrical craftsmanship, technical prowess, artistic integrity and sincere, unadulterated self-expression of the sort that the information age has done unprecedented wonders to promulgate. Suffice it to say that Gilles Peterson, John Peel, Annie Nightingale, Mary Anne Hobbs, Bill Goldsmith and any DJ who has ever graced the Boiler Room would disagree vehemently with such a facile and narrow-minded perspective: as, frankly, do I.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Edenre
Actual good bands are Sigur Ros, Daughter, Arovane
Thought goes into their music and evokes emotion and memories none of this:

"You know, I know, you know I'll remember you,
And I know, you know, I know you'll remember me,
[In background:]
(oh, oh, oh
Yeah, yeah, yeah)
And you know, I know, you know I'll remember you,
And I know, you know, I hope you'll remember how we danced, how we danced"

What even?

Good taste.
Oh please...it's all about taste at the end of the day.
When disco was thriving, people actually protested against it and those who were rock fans burnt records...actually, it always seems to be hardcore rock fans who can't stand the popularity of other genres coincidentally enough.

Original post by ronmack
who gives a ****, listen whatever the **** you like and stop complaining dam

Original post by Clip
It's just trendy to grumble about how bad "today's music" is. Take almost any random music video on Youtube from the last 50 years, and it's pretty much a given that most of the comments will be about how great "real" music was, and how Miley and Justin Bieber are the anti-Christ.

Big deal. Grow up. There's nothing quite as immature as being arrogant about music.

When Elvis first hit the big time, the same thing was said - he was all about image and sex and didn't write anything of his own.

The Monkees were a completely manufactured band and weren't even supposed to be "real" yet retrospectively they're supposed to be great.

Debbie Harry did her time as a Playboy bunny before moving on to what was in the early 80s considered plastic bubblegum pop - and now that her fans are all grown up...it's cool again.

Take That - in their time were more 1D than 1D. Give it a few years and they're a "man band" and cool again. Same with Ronan Keating.

There have always been apparently talentless prettyboys/girls in popular music; and the only other real constant has been kids trying to be cool by slating them.

This ^
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
Gaga's songs are not crap! :sad: :tongue:

How is this not one of the most interesting dance-pop songs out there? :colone:
[video="youtube;_sNi9nIXxVo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNi9nIXxVo&feature=kp[/video]

*prepares for a lot of criticism from people* :lol:

I know why your username is changing skies now :biggrin:
[video="youtube;93CZ6oFR8Q0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CZ6oFR8Q0[/video]
Reply 88
Original post by Flobie
Meh, people can listen to what they want. Although Miley Cyrus has just lost the plot, she doesn't seem to realise that the majority of her fan base are about 12.

What at annoys me about the music business is how you'll hear a new song or style, which is pretty catchy, then within weeks pretty much all new songs sound the same. It's like they're just following a formula to make a song which matches the new style so they can make lots of money. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but you do notice it from time to time.

I don't think you're far wrong there tbh, I've noticed before it as well, like when dance artists like Calvin Harris became popular with the masses and Radio 1, you seemed to see other artists just sticking a generic dance beat onto their music just to appeal to the masses and follow the current trend. The music 'mainstream', i.e. what you hear on Radio 1 and Heart FM generally makes music with the sole intention of making money and what will appeal to the Radio 1 listening, or club-going masses who generally won't really care about what they're listening just as long as they can dance to it or its got a catchy melody. Sure, you could argue that of course they want to make money, everyone wants to make money and make a living somehow and that's fine, you can't blame people for doing it. But there's a difference between making music just for money and not bothering to try to push any creative boundaries because you know what will appeal to the masses, and actually being genuinely talented and trying to make good, original music with a soul and push creative boundaries and not be influenced by what you know will make pots of cash.

But nevertheless, I always find it ridiculous when these threads are made, as if the music industry doesn't extend beyond what you hear on Radio 1 and I honestly believe there's no less talent out there in 2014 than there was in say 1980, its just times have changed and unfortunately the masses seem happy with generic, manufactured music at the moment, meaning so many great artists out there get overlooked. I'm certainly grateful to be living in 2014 what with so many ways of discovering music now though, thank god for Spotify:biggrin:

And for anyone who feel disillusioned with the state of the charts, listen to 6music, its superb and there's something for everyone really, what with a good mix of old classics and new stuff and all sorts of interesting niche programs elsewhere, no shortage of talent on there.
(edited 10 years ago)
the beatles were all over the charts - do they count as being "bad music" if they were in the charts? :lol:
or maybe the issue here is that new chart music is just a market for 11 year old girls who will cream their jeans at the sight of people like bieber
old chart music and old "popular" bands deserved to be in the charts because their audiences weren't little wannabe barbie dolls
The answer is simple OP - money. I guess throughout the 20th Century this has become more and more of a factor - and culminated in manufactured boy/girl 'bands', the turning of musicians into celebrities, the sexualisation/aestheticization... it isn't about the music anymore. You don't have to be a genius to work that out. That's why it's crap. Do you think teenage girls buy a Justin Bieber CD primarily because they like how he sounds? What if Justin Bieber was ugly? Do you think they'd still buy the CD? No, they wouldn't, and he would be a normal kid - not some sexualised arrogant celebrity.

I don't get why people defend the music industry - regardless of what you think about the music, the popular mainstream just isn't about the music so much. I guess it started with the Beatles (though certainly I doubt that was the original intention), and followed on from there...

Original post by Tom_green_day
What if I told you your niche heavy metal/indie/electronic etc was no more 'decent' than chart pop?

Of course it isn't. They're often still pretty crappy. Those genres are generally far from niche anyway. If it's popular, chances are a big label would have picked you up -- at which point, they'd direct your music to be marketable. The music industry is an industry; profit seeking rather than a creative exercise, and most mainstream music is being created, ultimately, for the money rather than the music.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
and culminated in manufactured boy/girl 'bands'

But what about the Beatles, or the Sex Pistols, or hell- Mozart? They may have made good music but they were created first and foremost to make money, they were assembled or crafted into musicianship to fulfil a need and to make money. Manufactured musicians is nothing new.
Original post by Kandybars
Oh please...it's all about taste at the end of the day.
When disco was thriving, people actually protested against it and those who were rock fans burnt records...actually, it always seems to be hardcore rock fans who can't stand the popularity of other genres coincidentally enough

I don't particularly like rock, death metal is probably the genre I listen too most, along side progressive metal.

The reason I mention this is that it always seems, to me at least, that people are willing to accept that music is just a matter of taste, then they get to metal and go 'bah, that's not music, just noise'.

When you are pretty commonly told what you listen to isn't music, but crap like Miley Cyrus is the peak of human creativity it can get incredibly frustrating.

On the issue at hand: I actually think music now is BETTER THAN EVER. There is so much choice, so many options, so many incredibly talented people doing really awesome things accross so many different genres of music. Yes, you can no longer rely on radio 1 to give you the 40 best songs in the world every week, yes, you have to put some effort in to find some of these guys, but my word is it worth it when you do.

Of course you could always just sit back and take whatever is given to you by way of the radio / background noise in a bar / cub but seriously if you do that, then frankly, you serve to be istening to **** music.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
I'm sick of people whinging about pop music, by its own definition pop music will always be charts-leading. There's a lot of good music out there, go and find it yourself, don't expect to be handed everything on a plate.
Original post by Kandybars
I know why your username is changing skies now :biggrin:

Yay! Glad someone does :teehee:
Original post by Olie
I don't think you're far wrong there tbh, I've noticed before it as well, like when dance artists like Calvin Harris became popular with the masses and Radio 1, you seemed to see other artists just sticking a generic dance beat onto their music just to appeal to the masses and follow the current trend. The music 'mainstream', i.e. what you hear on Radio 1 and Heart FM generally makes music with the sole intention of making money and what will appeal to the Radio 1 listening, or club-going masses who generally won't really care about what they're listening just as long as they can dance to it or its got a catchy melody. Sure, you could argue that of course they want to make money, everyone wants to make money and make a living somehow and that's fine, you can't blame people for doing it. But there's a difference between making music just for money and not bothering to try to push any creative boundaries because you know what will appeal to the masses, and actually being genuinely talented and trying to make good, original music with a soul and push creative boundaries and not be influenced by what you know will make pots of cash.

But nevertheless, I always find it ridiculous when these threads are made, as if the music industry doesn't extend beyond what you hear on Radio 1 and I honestly believe there's no less talent out there in 2014 than there was in say 1980, its just times have changed and unfortunately the masses seem happy with generic, manufactured music at the moment, meaning so many great artists out there get overlooked. I'm certainly grateful to be living in 2014 what with so many ways of discovering music now though, thank god for Spotify:biggrin:

And for anyone who feel disillusioned with the state of the charts, listen to 6music, its superb and there's something for everyone really, what with a good mix of old classics and new stuff and all sorts of interesting niche programs elsewhere, no shortage of talent on there.

Completely agree! A lot of artists are guilty of it, even some great ones have made an album or two which sounds the same to make money. I don't like artists who make generic music with the sole purpose of making money.

Nobody's forcing you to listen to chart music, if you don't like it, go on spotify and find music you like :smile: Spotify is amazing, I somehow don't get adverts despite having a free account so it's my only source of music :tongue: small music venues are great as well.
Reply 96
Original post by Autistic Merit
What do you mean by this? The Vamps are just as **** and talentless as 1D.

Also worth mentioning 5 Seconds of Summer and Union J.

The vamps are ****. And even worse than one direction. I actually have to switch over a music channel when they come on. Therefore they are in my elite of dislike, joining Jessie J and Lady gaga,
Reply 97
What if I told you your niche heavy metal/indie/electronic etc was no more 'decent' than chart pop?

That would just show that your music tastes are worse than abysmal.
Original post by demx9
That would just show that your music tastes are worse than abysmal.

I'm confused, where do my musical tastes come into this at all?
And I'm pretty sure classical and jazz aren't in the charts anyway so they aren't really in this discussion...
Reply 99
I'm confused, where do my musical tastes come into this at all?
And I'm pretty sure classical and jazz aren't in the charts anyway so they aren't really in this discussion...

The simple act of defending commercial music implies generally bad tastes.. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest